Other Resources My Cup of Joe » can someone please explain how traffic fines work? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2007-01-16 5:00 PM

User image

Master
Sonoma County, CA
Subject: can someone please explain how traffic fines work?
I'm seriously perplexed....

Okay, I got a new (used) car in September...traded in the Pathfinder (gasp!) for the more economical Volvo S60 (yeah, yeah, but it does get better gas mileage)

I got pulled over in October on the highway by a very nice cop, actually, who had me dead to rights that I was going over the speedlimit, which I thought was 65 (and I was going about 70). I was cool about it, didn't give him any guff...he informs me, then, that I was actually speeding in a 55 mph zone (hwy 101 north near san rafael) and that I could actually be cited for RECKLESS DRIVING and if he cited me at my speed I'D LOSE MY LICENSE FOR A YEAR! gulp. He was cool, though, and only cited me for not having updated my address with a recent move.

Okay, in October I was in downtown Santa Rosa and flipped a U-turn from my parking spot on the street over one lane of traffic (which was clear). Commando Joe pulls me over...typical cop (sorry, my ex is a fireman and I'm dating a cop so I have all the respect in the world but this guy was your stereotypical A$$hole blowhard) Big puffed chest busting out of his shirt, shaved head, bad sunglasses. Again, I was pleasant...

cop: "Do you know why I pulled you over?"
me: "Um, no, officer." "
cop practically snorting at me with disdaine: "You don't know why I pulled you over?" incredulously.
me: "No, officer, I don't."
cop: "You really don't know" by this time the sarcasm is *dripping* from him and I'm about ready to get testy but put on my happy smile.
me: "Um, because I made a u-turn?" (didn't know they were illegal).
So, yeah, apparently I broke like three different laws making this u-turn so he cites me (with unbridled glee, might I add.)

December I'm driving on Hwy 1 south of Gualala, one lane road, ocean on my right, and i hit a straight patch and yup, before you know it, speedy gonzalez hits 68...and then see the chp. DAMMITALLTOHELLI REALLYNEEDTOSTOPSPEEDING!
He pulls me over and cites me for 68 in a 55. Again, I'm nice. He had me dead to rights.

MY QUESTIONS (yeah, took awhile to get here...sorry)

1. I figured I should pay the u-turn fine and go to traffic school on the speeding cuz aren't the points higher for speeding???

2. when I got the cites, tho, the penalty for my excessive speed was only $97 and yet for the u-turn it's $131???? How does that work?

So now I'm trying to figure out, should I just pay the cheaper ticket off (speeding) and then go to traffic school on the u-turn? Or will that points thing come and bite me in the ?

Anyone in the know please explain and I'd be appreciative.

And yes, as for the lead foot, it's in check. Sigh. I was following a friend the other day and she ended up leaving me in the dust b/c I refused to go over the speedlimit and I had to call to ask her where she was. When she teased me for "going so slow" I laid into her for doing 70+ WITH A BABY IN THE CAR.

So yeah, I've learned my lesson....although it sure hurts the pocket book.

ugh.

2007-01-16 7:38 PM
in reply to: #656930

User image

Giver
Subject: RE: can someone please explain how traffic fines work?
As far as the amounts go, different jurisdictions have different formulas.
2007-01-17 1:28 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
In PA, those fines would have been twice as high!

The logic with a u-turn like you described is that you created a traffic hazard while doing it (crossing over a lane of traffic to get to teh other one). Same goes for parking facing the wrong way...you had to create a traffic hazard to get your car there, even if the lane was clear at the tiem you did it.
2007-01-17 10:18 AM
in reply to: #657271

Elite
Laurium, MI

no kidding!  You got off easy.  In my wreckless youth days, I got busted (legitimatly) doing 23 over twice.  Both were like $200 tickets plus the near $100 for 'defensive driving school' which btw is THE biggest joke in the world.  I swear they make it 10x more boring then they have to just so people will slow down to avoid going.

Then there was the night I was driving home late from finishing up some homework.  Eyes and brain completely fried.  I saw a flashing red, and in my haze thought it was flashing yellow.  Of course THE only other car on the road was a cop.  For some reason that was close to $150. 

So I have no idea how they justify charging close to the same amount for 23 over the speed limit as they fine for crawling through a flashing red at 20 mph on a empty street.

On another note, A few months back, I remember seeing on the news that the police department had to get rid of two or three patrol officers due to budget cuts here in town.  You want to know what the MAIN concern the chief had over it?  Was it less officers to patrol and keep the streets free of crime?  Nooooo, he was all worked up because that was three less officers writing tickets, so the department was going to see a drop in revenue.

2007-01-17 10:34 AM

User image

Master
Sonoma County, CA
thanks for the feedback.

the u-turn info makes sense and in reviewing the tickets the high $$ one was from the city police while the low $ one was from the chp.

lesson learned on this end...slow down....sigh...

2007-01-17 10:37 AM
in reply to: #657665

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2007-01-17 11:33 AM

Elite
Reno
Is it me, or has Nancy been missing for a while?
2007-01-17 1:03 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-01-17 1:56 PM
in reply to: #657795

Master
Sonoma County, CA
bootygirl - 2007-01-17 8:33 AM

Is it me, or has Nancy been missing for a while?

yup. incognito as it were...i've popped in now and again amazed at all the new faces and growth of this place. it's awesome.

2007-01-17 2:36 PM

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County

Here's what you do. You and me and Eric and your cop friend all go out for drinks and dinner, and you explain your story to Eric. And Eric, being Eric, will cite (chapter and verse) the actual laws of traffic and tell you how you can get out of each and every one of these tickets.

Seriously.

Edited by madkat 2007-01-17 2:37 PM
2007-01-17 3:59 PM

Master
Central, IL

Fines usually go by county.  So...if all these incidents happened to occur in the same county you might be able to negotiate a "package" plea.  (The proceeds from fines often go to the county and/or local townships.

If the incidents did not occur in the same county, you should consider asking for a meeting with the Assistant States Attorney or Prosecutor (their boss is often an elected official) from each seperate jurisdiction and negotiating your own deals.  You have as much or more pull than a hired attorney (the lawyers don't want you to know this).  Try to get the tickets ammended or reduced to non-moving violations (ie seatbelt, lighting, or other equipment violations - maybe your speedometer didn't work right?)

Check the number of "points" and fight the hardest to keep your points down.  This will impact your driving record and insurance the most.   Admit guilt but provide evidence you are not a menace to society and will obey the law in the future. 

Schedule your meeting for a Friday afternoon or just prior to a three day weekend.  You may find people in the most forgiving of moods at these times....

Best of Luck.

2007-01-17 4:02 PM
in reply to: #658372

Master
Sonoma County, CA
Writebrained - 2007-01-17 12:59 PM

Fines usually go by county. So...if all these incidents happened to occur in the same county you might be able to negotiate a "package" plea. (The proceeds from fines often go to the county and/or local townships.)

If the incidents did not occur in the same county, you should consider asking for a meeting with the Assistant States Attorney or Prosecutor (their boss is often an elected official) from each seperate jurisdiction and negotiating your own deals. You have as much or more pull than a hired attorney (the lawyers don't want you to know this). Try to get the tickets ammended or reduced to non-moving violations (ie seatbelt, lighting, or other equipment violations - maybe your speedometer didn't work right?)

Check the number of "points" and fight the hardest to keep your points down. This will impact your driving record and insurance the most. Admit guilt but provide evidence you are not a menace to society and will obey the law in the future.

Schedule your meeting for a Friday afternoon or just prior to a three day weekend. You may find people in the most forgiving of moods at these times....

Best of Luck.

wow.
thank you!
I'm definitely looking into that.
n
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » can someone please explain how traffic fines work? Rss Feed