General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My strangest recovery activities yet... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-01-17 1:14 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Subject: My strangest recovery activities yet...
So tonight I did a 90 minute run/walk in 20 degree windy weather. I felt pretty good. THe last half hour I walked to nurse some ankle discomfort and by the time I got back home I was getting fairly chilled. I came into my apartment that I keep at 65 degrees and within about 20 minutes was shivering.

I have Raynaud's disease which simply means that sometimes your fingertips or toes turn white when exposed to the cold, then get numb, then turn red, then go back to normal. It's not dangerous or anything, just an annoyance in the winter, and usually goes away after you warm up. I speed up the process sometimes by soaking my hands in warm water, or making a hot cup of tea to hold.

So anyway, I start shivering. I hadn't eaten a post workout snack yet, by the way. Then the Raynaud's kicks in, only instead of one or two finger tips, it's my whole hands. My whole hands turned white and started to get numb. It's never been that bad before.

So I go to the kitchen, heat up some home-made hearty chicken stew in the microwave. I sit down and cover myself with a wool blanket sitting in front of the radiator (I turned the heat up to 69, so it's nice and hot by now). Well I was still shivering. I got back up went to the kitchen and looked in the cupboards and was struck by some very odd cravings.

So I mixed up half grits & half cornmeal and cooked then in the microwave and added about a tablespoon of butter and lots of salt. I also made a giant mug of hot tea with one of the single serving drink mixes of diet green tea with honey. I took it all back in front of the radiator and started eating.

But I was still cold. So I ran a hot bath. I had changed clothes and was wearing a thick fleece hat, a thick fleece sweater and warmup pants. Since I hadn't finished the tea and the grits, I put them in teh bathroom, took off my warmups and climbed in. But I was so cold I couldn't bear to take my fleece off so I left my sweater and hat on and climbed in.

I sat in the tub eating my grits, drinking my tea in my wet fleece, soaking in the warmth.

It took about 45 minutes to finally warm up. Crazy.

2007-01-17 1:56 AM
in reply to: #657269

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area- California
Subject: RE: My strangest recovery activities yet...

And I'm complaining about it being in the 30's here! Hope you stay warm.

2007-01-17 2:56 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
You're reaffirming my decision to move to FL twenty years ago.
2007-01-17 6:21 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Sounds normal to me....

At times when I do workouts/races, I get chillled for up to 5 hours afterwards. I tend to take a hot tub or very long shower, get my clothes on and climb in bed when it is bad. Then I vow to remember next time to wear more clothes. One thing I do now when I do workouts when it is cold, is drink warm hydration instead of cold...warm gatorade is sweet when riding and it is mid-20's or on a long run.

Today it was 5 outside with wind gusts to below zero wind chills, I should have done my hill intervals this morning when it was dark, but couldn't mentally do it. So instead I'll drive to a hill during lunch and run when it warmer like 20, sun out and windy.

Glad you found the food that hit the spot for you and congrats on an nice long run!

2007-01-17 9:49 AM

User image

Regular
Cleveland, OH
A couple of times last winter I had similar experiences after 90+ min racewalks in extremely cold temps where it would take me hours to warm up again. I found it freaky (and annoying) every time it happened, but at least now I have confidence in the fact that I really will warm up again. If we get temps like that again this year I'm planning on adding another layer on top and wearing 2 pairs of pants.
2007-01-17 9:56 AM

Master
Charlotte, NC
Great story... glad you finally warmed up.  But now I'm hungry for grits - with butter and salt... yum!

2007-01-17 10:01 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

Well tonight I am in for an interesting run. Currently in Boston we are 10F and feels like -3F. I can only imagine it will feel a bit colder later on! I guess it was about time to get cold after the crazy nice weather we had in previous weeks. Anyway, for me the best recovery drink after a cold run -> hot chocolate, mmmmm!

Oh and for those on warm climates: I HATE YOU!   (not really, in fact I missed my cold runs already)

2007-01-17 10:59 AM

Elite
Denver, Colorado
It didn't really seem all that strange, until I got to this part...

AdventureBear - 2007-01-17 1:14 AM
But I was so cold I couldn't bear to take my fleece off so I left my sweater and hat on and climbed in.

I sat in the tub eating my grits, drinking my tea in my wet fleece, soaking in the warmth.

Eating in the bathroom. Eww!

Anyone, I really can't relate. I like cold weather, and as a general rule, no matter how cold it is, if I'm outside doing any kind of physical activity, I warm up fairly quickly and tend to stay warm. The battle for me is to regulate my temp so that I don't sweat so much - that's when I get cold.
2007-01-17 11:10 AM

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County

I don't see a problem with that.    Ok, the wet fleece is a bit weird.  But hey... it's fleece.  It'll dry just fine.

We keep our thermostat at 65 as well.  After any longish workout, I always have a period of coldness for about an hour or so.  I usually workout at lunch time, and people think I'm crazy.  All morning I complain how warm it is in the office.  But in the hour after my workout, while I'm eating, I sit at my desk and shiver.

2007-01-17 5:56 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
I suspect that there is a certain "Comfort" that you get when you come in out of the cold and go through the ritual "Warming Up" Process.

When I get back on Surfing in the Winter time, I am usually pretty Hypothermic. (I know it is different but bear with me here) The thawing out process is pretty ritualized by now for me and involves a lot of the same sort of thing.

1). Hot Shower
2). Hot Mug of something good (Tea, Coffee, Broth)
3). Bowl of something Hearty (Chili, Chunky Soup etc.)

In the winter time, I usually get into the shower in my wetsuit because I just cannot bear to strip it off when I am still cold. (It really does hold in a lot of heat) Water is very warm but not too hot. (Remember that Hot water feels cold on very cold skin)

Also:

Out Sailing; Nothing is better than a mug of hot something and a warm blanket after being out on deck in cold damp weather. Anything that chases away the chill is definitely a good thing.

My point to all of this is that at times when I find myself cold, (Out on a run, Surfing or otherwise in the Weather) just thinking about some of these activities makes me feel better
2007-01-17 6:31 PM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN

AdventureBear - 2007-01-17 2:14 AM . But I was so cold I couldn't bear to take my fleece off so I left my sweater and hat on and climbed in. I sat in the tub eating my grits, drinking my tea in my wet fleece, soaking in the warmth.

That made me laugh out loud and made my night

I wasn't thinking when I got in from running and jumped in the shower instead of just layering up and preserving the warmth.  Now I am clean...just cold again.  

2007-01-17 8:16 PM

User image

Master
Connecticut

Yikes, you definitely get the vote for the strangest recovery.

I'm sorry to hear that you have Raynaud's, that must present quite a challenge when trying to work out in cold weather.

Have you ever tried any forms of behaviorally-based interventions such as autogenic training or biofeedback?  There is a decent base of scientific literature supporting the effectiveness of such treatments for Raynaud's. Here's a sample link.  It isn't necessarily the most representative, but just happened to be an example I could pull up free online: http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1308101

2007-01-17 9:21 PM
in reply to: #658678

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Thanks for the link. It's actually not too bother some for me. I notice it at times like driving in a cold car without gloves on, or when my whole body gets chilled, like after the workout last night.

When I'm actually outside doing activities, it never bothers me because I am layered and moving. Winter is my favorite sports time of the year. Well, OK, sunny summer days are right there too.

I don't get it often enough that biofeedback would help, I don't think. I check out the link, though.

That's what made last night wierd is that it was such a dramatic response.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My strangest recovery activities yet... Rss Feed