2007-01-26 10:17 AM
in reply to: #662022

User image

Elite
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
Subject: RE: Matchman's Group - OPEN

Aaron's turn! 

aharnden - 2007-01-20 9:28 PM

Hi Tom, My name is Aaron, a 29 year old Aussie looking to repair the damage of bad habits, a poor diet, and general lack of exercise for most of my existance. About 16 months ago I gave up smoking before the birth of my 1st child as I wanted to be a better role model, I'd like to replace that bad habit with a better one.

Amen, brother.  Regardless of how you set them, the goals will be a huge factor in keeping yourself on track.  Congratulations for choosing to make a change.  That'll probably be another theme here: you always have a choice.  I'm a huge believer in that.

My aim is to complete an olympic distance triathlon at the end of the year. I'm a poor swimmer and always have been. I've focussed my training in this area, I also thought it'd be a good way to introduce my body to exercise. I started training 2 weeks ago and desperatly don't want to quit in a few months time, I'd really like to change my life and will do what I can to ensure I stay as motivated as possible. What i'm after is a little kick in pants if I start to go off the straight-and-narrow, and advice of how to use my training sessions more effectively. I hope there's still room in the group and look forward to travelling the journey to my first tri! Cheers, Aaron.

I think you'll have no problem doing your OLY by the end of the year if you're committed to your training.  If you can get a few weeks of steady training in, you'll have created a habit and you won't need to worry about quitting in a few months.  So, consider this one of many virtual motivational butt slaps, which are big in American sports. 

Cheers to you, Aaron.  Enjoy the Aussie Open.  Not that we're jealous or anything...

Tom

PS - I'm assuming that's your little nipper in your avatar?  Cute kid! 

2007-01-26 10:29 AM
in reply to: #662360

User image

Elite

njcavill65 - 2007-01-21 1:37 PM

Hi Tom My name is Neil and look likes I am the token Brit looking to join your gang, greetings from the UK! I’m 41 years old married with two young daughters and have dreamt of doing triathlons for years and now it’s time to change this into reality in 2007.

Hello from the States!  Glad to hear that you're finally going to jump into the tri game.     

I have targeted a sprint tri at the end of May as my first. I’m a pretty active runner, and competed in 11 x 10k races last year (personal best 43 44s) and 2 half marathons (pb 1hr 46 mins). My training currently consists of a 3 runs a week (3 miles 5 miles 12 miles) and two 30 minutes sessions on a spinning bike. I have a road bike and I tend to amble about 400 miles a year on it. Tomorrow sees me take to the pool for the first time in years. My breaststroke used to be ok, I have never swum front crawl (have tried and sunk on several occasions)! This is going to be my problem area for sure. The plan is to have a few sessions to get used to being back in the water and then join a local masters club for help. I’m looking for some moral support and like-minded folks to chat with and get to know, share ideas and thoughts as I achieve this goal. The plan is to master and enjoy sprint tri this year and move up a distance in 2008. I look forward to joining the fun. Cheers Neil

Another fast runner!  Your running history is definitely going to serve you well in Triathlon.  Now get to work on the swimming and biking so that you can feel good going into the run!  Have you set up or chosen a training plan?

You also might consider stepping up to an Olympic distance tri this year to take advantage of your running and to challenge yourself on the swim front.  I've found that the longer swims are almost better in the sense that you have to settle into an efficient stroke.  Anybody can get through a 500m swim.  Plus, you'll pass people like mad with your fast running.  Seriously, anyone running 7 minute miles is going to be in the top tier of the age group pack at most triathlons.  

Again, welcome and happy training.

Cheers!

Tom 

2007-01-26 10:34 AM
in reply to: #663216

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Matchman's Group - FULL!

gonnatrione - 2007-01-22 10:41 AM

Hi! My name is Jon and I live in Virginia. Last April I left my job sitting behind a desk running a beer distributorship and started my own business providing professional services. What a change! I was working 16-18 hour days, sometimes 7 days a week. At one point I went two years without a vacation, so you can imagine how much time I made for exercise.

And last but not least, we get to Jon.  Welcome to the group!

Dude, all work and no play makes Jon a very dull boy.  Glad to hear that you've seen the light and realized the same at some level.  If you can put that kind of energy behind an hour or two of training a day, LOOK OUT!  

How about your goals?  Have you set up your 2007 season?  What race distance(s) are you considering?  

Cheers!

Tom 

2007-01-26 10:50 AM
in reply to: #663858

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Matchman's Group - FULL
sandert - 2007-01-22 4:04 PM 
I've gotten at least 1 tip that I can feel makes my stroke more productive. Keeping my face down really helps my hydrodynamics. We are doing a lot of pull distance (feels like a lot to me anyway) which I think is good since you really want your arms to do most of the work in the swim portion (right?).
Definitely, you're using your arms almost exclusively in freestyle unless you're doing sprint sets.  The kick is used more as a means to get good rotation.  Posture in the water was a huge thing for me, too.  Head position I think of as looking directly at the bottom of the pool.   Any time I look up I can feel my hips sink immediately

Open water is something I'm a bit unsure of. I've never enjoyed spending time where I can't touch bottom (funny thing for a strong swimmer, I know) but I'm not too worried about it since there will be a few (or more) other people swimming the same direction as me.
You'll definitely want to get some open water practice time before a race.  I can't even begin to count the number of stories I've heard where people absolutely panic when they hit the water in their first race.  If you're hyperventilating on the swim, not only do you risk drowning but you're sure as heck not going to be in top shape for the rest of the race.  See if some of your Masters swim mates would do an OWS with you.  Definitely something you'll want to do befor eyour first race! 

My longest ride so far is about 35 miles and that was with a bike group so part of that time was spent drafting. I'm torn on the idea of spending time with a group due to that. I know I ride faster with a group than I will usually push myself alone, but some of that speed is from drafting the pack. Riding regularly with a group... GOOD or BAD?

I think both have their place.  Certainly, its more fun to put in long miles with a group but you're definitely going to average a greater speed at less effort when drafting.  Most races prohibit drafting so just keep that in mind as you prepare.  Also, you're going to be riding a lot more often and trying to fit it into your schedule so you'll be doing less group rides.  I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Thanks for the advise. I will keep that in mind as I start to finalize my tri-training plan. I think that is one of the great opportunities about this mentoring is the ability to learn from mistakes of others.
Certainly!  There's no need to re-create the wheel.  There's a lot that we all need to experience to learn but there's also a ton of resources out there to ensure you're as prepared as you feel you need to be.  Keep us posted on how the training plan is coming.  
Cheers!
Tom 
2007-01-26 2:54 PM
in reply to: #668876

User image

Regular
Tom

Good to hear from you thanks for the note. Today I’ve switched gyms to one that has a pool so I can get a regular swim and also handy for doing some swim/spin/run sessions later on.

In terms of training plans I’ll follow the basic 13 week guide (my 1st race is at the end of May) but I’ve several running races before that (ranging from 3 miles to half marathon). There’s a local club that do a few dualthons in the summer so I’ll hook up with those guys to get some sharpness to my running and riding too.

Have a crazy weekend buddy!

Neil
2007-01-26 8:47 PM
in reply to: #658479

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ouch! My heels hurt. Left one only a bit, but the right one started hurting bad enough to make me limp yesterday afternoon. The mileage last week was only about 10% above the 2 weeks prior (HM the week before was a step-down week) so I don't think the 17 miler on Sat is causing pain on Thursday. 3 easy on Tues and 4 tempo thurs. I suspect my motorcycle boots (about 3 yrs old) are finally telling me they are worn out. My current running shoes are about 250 miles so i've been planning on getting new ones soon to start breaking them in. I've heard 300-500 miles for shoes, but my last ones started hurting my feet around 220+. Is the life of shoes dependent on the runners weight? I am a big guy (smaller now than a few months ago, but still 205 or so) so should I plan on buying shoes more often?

So I brought some older running shoes to work today and will see how things feel today, but if they still hurt (the feet, not the shoes) I am wondering if I should bail on what was scheduled to be a 19 miler and my longest run before 2/18 marathon. Before my first marathon last October, I did 20 and 22 long runs so I don't think I will be cheating myself out of too much training by skipping (or shortening) this one.

Thoughts? Advice?

2007-01-27 4:41 AM
in reply to: #667590

User image

New user

Melbourne, Australia

gonnatrione - 2007-01-26 4:01 AM I've ordered the Total Immersion FME DVD, and can't wait for it to arrive. I feel good at the beginning of each drill, but when I hit that 75-100 meter mark, I go downhill fast! I can feel my hips and feet sinking. Growing up in Phoenix, AZ, I never learned how to "swim", so this is totally new to me. Don't get me wrong, I can swim, just not properly. My 11 year old daughter goes with me to the pool and says I'm flailing, not swimming. So much for my ego....kids are so truthful. After I get comfortable being in the water, I'll have to take a couple of lessons.

When I went to the pool for the first time to swim, I could see the lifeguard watching me crouched slightly, with a puzzled look on her face, ready to whip her shoes off at any second and dive in.  I'm sure she was trying to figure out whether I was swimming or waving for help!

I too could feel the hips sinking, so I kicked harder to keep the back end up, but I just tired quicker.  I knew it was bad when I came up to the shallow end once and my toe touched the bottom...that's 1.2metres.....absolutley ridiculous.

I searched for info on swimming technique and came across the following article  http://www.usms.org/articles/articledisplay.php?a=81 .  It made a massive improvement to my balance in the water, swimming quicker and with less effort than before.  I've also found another site http://www.xtri.com/swim_tech.aspx helpful for technical articles on swimming technique.

I'll be starting some swimming classes too shortly.  Let me know how you go with the DVD, if you think it's good I might have to invest in a copy.....

Cheers,

Aaron

Edited by aharnden 2007-01-27 4:45 AM
2007-01-27 8:20 AM
in reply to: #668885

User image

Veteran
Hey Tom,

Thanks for the welcome. Looks like we have quite a cool group from around the globe. I'll do my best to keep up.

I have yet to set any goals or sign up for any triathlons. I'm hope that by joining the BT community I can get some direction/suggestions. I said to myself that the first 3 months (Dec-Feb) is all about making it a "habit", and I don't mind saying I'm addicted.

2007-01-27 8:28 AM
in reply to: #669550

User image

Veteran
Aaron,

The links are great, thank you!

I was at the pool last night and the guy beside me was cruising. Back and forth, back and forth. When he stopped he watched me for a few laps and asked if I was open to some feedback. Of course I said yes. He said "slow down and keep one hand in front all the time. If you focus on long slow pulling strokes you'll be able see a difference."

Sounded easy enough. The difference was amazing! I focused on the hand in front and a long slow pull, my breathing was easier and it didn't take as much effort.

2007-01-27 12:42 PM

New user
that link was very informative and it made a lot of sense, I am excited to try it out on Monday at the pool
2007-01-28 4:31 AM

User image

Regular
Morning Chaps (and Lady D)!

Sunday morning here in the UK, guess you’re all in bed or out partying! Just had a hard spin session (too much lager last night!!) and my first decent swim for a couple of years, which was sooper dooper!! Managed 20 minutes comfortably, mainly breastsroke with a bit of front crawl here and there, loved it! Two days off now (boo hiss) as I’m away at a conference.

Have a crazy week and happy training!

Neil x

2007-01-29 9:37 AM
in reply to: #669455

User image

Elite

sandert - 2007-01-26 8:47 PM

Ouch! My heels hurt. Left one only a bit, but the right one started hurting bad enough to make me limp yesterday afternoon. The mileage last week was only about 10% above the 2 weeks prior (HM the week before was a step-down week) so I don't think the 17 miler on Sat is causing pain on Thursday. 3 easy on Tues and 4 tempo thurs. I suspect my motorcycle boots (about 3 yrs old) are finally telling me they are worn out. My current running shoes are about 250 miles so i've been planning on getting new ones soon to start breaking them in. I've heard 300-500 miles for shoes, but my last ones started hurting my feet around 220+. Is the life of shoes dependent on the runners weight? I am a big guy (smaller now than a few months ago, but still 205 or so) so should I plan on buying shoes more often?

So I brought some older running shoes to work today and will see how things feel today, but if they still hurt (the feet, not the shoes) I am wondering if I should bail on what was scheduled to be a 19 miler and my longest run before 2/18 marathon. Before my first marathon last October, I did 20 and 22 long runs so I don't think I will be cheating myself out of too much training by skipping (or shortening) this one. Thoughts? Advice?

I, too, have heard the 300 mile rule but I think its easier to go by a more conventional approach: if you're hurting in places you don't normally hurt (and you haven't suddenly ramped up your mileage) then its probably time for new shoes.  Yes, shoes wear out faster if you're a big guy due to more impact and the slower you run, the more steps you're taking in a mile. 

I'd definitely take it easy for a day or two and see how your feet feel.  Did you ice them?  I know its kind of a catch-all but it certainly helps with inflammation.  Ibuprofen helps with inflammation, too.

This is more general but how about ice baths?  Do you do those after your long runs?  They take some serious testicular fortitude but they're amazing for recovering more quickly after those long runs.  I do them after every run over 90 minutes.  Cold water in the tub plus a couple of bags of ice.  Sit in the tub as long as you can.  I've never lasted more than about 15 minutes but I've heard that's about all you need.  I definitely keep my running shorts on and will often put on a sweatshirt and hat (yes, even in the summer) but I still end up shivering uncontrollably.  Boy does the hot shower sure feel good after that!

So, do you live in the Phoenix area since you're doing Lost Dutchman?  My brother lives in the valley along with a zillion cousins.  A bunch more in Tucson, too.  All are MN natives that decided they'd rather sweat than freeze.   

Cheers!

Tom 

2007-01-29 9:44 AM
in reply to: #669597

User image

Elite

gonnatrione - 2007-01-27 8:20 AM

Hey Tom, Thanks for the welcome. Looks like we have quite a cool group from around the globe. I'll do my best to keep up. I have yet to set any goals or sign up for any triathlons. I'm hope that by joining the BT community I can get some direction/suggestions. I said to myself that the first 3 months (Dec-Feb) is all about making it a "habit", and I don't mind saying I'm addicted.

Addiction to this is definitely healthier than many other things (especially work).  Good on you for working toward making it a habit.

Here's something to think about: 

I'd suggest choosing and registering for a race - even if its 6 months out - and telling everyone you know of your plans.  You'll stick to your goal when you know everyone's going to be asking you how your preparations are coming and how the race went.    Plus, you'll be more likely to create a plan for yourself and execute that plan which will naturally keep you on track.  

2007-01-29 9:51 AM

New user
yeah, I have begun to slowly start telling people about my plans. I managed to complete week 1 (all mileage/workouts are logged) and took Sunday off. I have family coming to visit this weekend, so I am going to take Saturday off instead (one day I will take that Thursday planned day off).

This week I am definitely going to do more "drill" type work in the pool. I want to practice that front quadrant swimming that was in the article linked here.

I still have not trained outside yet, but I hope to start doing that on the runs soon. The bike is another story as I do not have a bike and need to find something cheap if I do get one.

Good luck this week everyone.
2007-01-29 9:54 AM
in reply to: #669550

User image

Elite
aharnden - 2007-01-27 4:41 AM

When I went to the pool for the first time to swim, I could see the lifeguard watching me crouched slightly, with a puzzled look on her face, ready to whip her shoes off at any second and dive in. I'm sure she was trying to figure out whether I was swimming or waving for help!

I too could feel the hips sinking, so I kicked harder to keep the back end up, but I just tired quicker. I knew it was bad when I came up to the shallow end once and my toe touched the bottom...that's 1.2metres.....absolutley ridiculous.

I searched for info on swimming technique and came across the following article http://www.usms.org/articles/articledisplay.php?a=81 . It made a massive improvement to my balance in the water, swimming quicker and with less effort than before. I've also found another site http://www.xtri.com/swim_tech.aspx helpful for technical articles on swimming technique.

I'll be starting some swimming classes too shortly. Let me know how you go with the DVD, if you think it's good I might have to invest in a copy.....

Cheers,

Aaron

Awesome!  This stuff is a lot like what Total Immersion teaches.  The jist of it all is balance in the water and the fundamental is the "skate" position described as "racing boat" in the article.  The more time you're able to spend in that position during your stroke, the better.  I'm definitely not anything resembling fast yet but I'm a million percent more efficient because of the instruction I've gotten on this. 

Again, if you really want to start yourselves off well in the pool, hook up with a good coach.  You don't need to spend a ton but it'll be worth every penny.  Yada, yada, yada. 

Have a great week and happy training to everyone!

Tom 

2007-01-29 10:07 AM

User image

Hey guys!

Hope everyone is doing well. Tom, I guess this question goes to you- or to anyone who may be able to help. Saturday I had an awesome pool workout, but I woke up Sunday to my right ankle being really sore. I hurt this ankle both in high school and in college when I played basketball. It hasn't hurt in about a year, and all of a sudden it's starting to hurt. I've been active during and after basketball, so it's not like exercise is a new thing... It hurts the most when I'm sitting, and I take my right leg, cross it over my left, so that my ankle is facing the ground, parallel. I went to spinning class this morning, and did a light "run" on the ellyptical, and it felt okay, but its still sore.

HELP!

Danielle

2007-01-29 10:35 AM
in reply to: #671207

User image

Elite

danielleaw - 2007-01-29 10:07 AM

Hey guys! Hope everyone is doing well. Tom, I guess this question goes to you- or to anyone who may be able to help. Saturday I had an awesome pool workout, but I woke up Sunday to my right ankle being really sore. I hurt this ankle both in high school and in college when I played basketball. It hasn't hurt in about a year, and all of a sudden it's starting to hurt. I've been active during and after basketball, so it's not like exercise is a new thing... It hurts the most when I'm sitting, and I take my right leg, cross it over my left, so that my ankle is facing the ground, parallel. I went to spinning class this morning, and did a light "run" on the ellyptical, and it felt okay, but its still sore. HELP! Danielle

A question: your log says you swam an hour and over a mile. Are you used to that kind of swim distance?  As in, have you been working up to that in the pool or did you just decide to swim for an hour after not having done so in a while?

As for your ankle, I certainly am no MD and couldn't diagnose anything over the net even if I was. However, I've had soreness in my ankles, feet, and calves after swimming. There's a totally different flexibility required of the lower leg in swimming and most of us runners will have a really crappy kick as a result. Its the same reason we get calf and foot cramps. Sometime, when you're at the pool, look underwater at the really good swimmers. Their kick is a straight leg with a pointed toe (but still relaxed) and the generated from the hip. Then look at a not-so-good swimmer and see that they look like they're trying to run through the water. Our legs are just not used to that sort of work and it'll take some time to get there.

So, take it easy for a day or two and see how it feels. If it feels like routine muscle soreness, giddy up. If it feels more like a strain/sprain, take some more time off. Regardless, ice it to try to get some of the inflammation out.

Cheers!

Tom

Edited by Matchman 2007-01-29 10:36 AM
2007-01-29 3:26 PM

User image

Hi Tom-

Now that I think about it, I really am just getting back into swimming... I guess I hopped into the pool and thought I was on swim team again! I probably overdid it, you are right. I'm going to really focus on how it's feeling, and if it isn't better in a few days, I'll have the trainer here at work (I work at the college I graduated from, so I know the trainer well) take a look at it.

Thanks a bunch!!!!
Danielle
2007-01-29 4:19 PM
in reply to: #671828

User image

Elite

danielleaw - 2007-01-29 3:26 PM

Hi Tom- Now that I think about it, I really am just getting back into swimming... I guess I hopped into the pool and thought I was on swim team again! I probably overdid it, you are right. I'm going to really focus on how it's feeling, and if it isn't better in a few days, I'll have the trainer here at work (I work at the college I graduated from, so I know the trainer well) take a look at it. Thanks a bunch!!!! Danielle

Well, if you're looking for people who aren't into somewhat compulsive behavior, you might want to look elsewhere!  I'm just as likely to do something similar.  What's the saying about walking the talk? 

Sweet to have the trainer hookup at work.  I would definitely take advantage of that one. 

Cheers!

Tom

2007-01-29 8:11 PM
in reply to: #671151

User image

Extreme Veteran
Matchman - 2007-01-29 8:37 AM

sandert - 2007-01-26 8:47 PM

Ouch! My heels hurt.

Thanks for the advice. I had been icing it, but yesterday I tried soaking it in ice water. About 15 min then dry and warm for 15 min then repeat. Spending the day Sat at car dealers probably didn't help, but reducing the amount of time I spend in my motorcycle boots should help.

I came down with something and stayed home from work today. No running since Thursday and my heel feels pretty good today. I will probably try for a short run in the new shoes tomorrow evening and see how it goes.

Yes, I am in the greater Phoenix area. I don't mind shoveling, but I'd rather shovel sunshine than snow. :)

Edited by sandert 2007-01-31 6:38 PM
2007-02-01 5:21 PM

User image

New user

Melbourne, Australia

Happy Friday!  It's a beautiful blue sky day here in Melbourne - too good to be at work....

Does anybody know what the go is with shin splints (I think that's what it's called) - soreness of the front of the chins.  I haven't got it but the better half has.  She's about 3 weeks into the couch to 5K program.

How to you get them? Is it because of hard ground and being not used to it or is it to do with running style i.e. striking the ground too hard with the heel or something?  What can be done to help - stretches, rest, ice, all of the above?

Any knowledge would help.

Have a good one!

Aaron.

2007-02-01 9:44 PM
in reply to: #676092

User image

Extreme Veteran
aharnden - 2007-02-01 4:21 PM

Happy Friday! It's a beautiful blue sky day here in Melbourne - too good to be at work....

Does anybody know what the go is with shin splints (I think that's what it's called) - soreness of the front of the chins. I haven't got it but the better half has. She's about 3 weeks into the couch to 5K program.

How to you get them? Is it because of hard ground and being not used to it or is it to do with running style i.e. striking the ground too hard with the heel or something? What can be done to help - stretches, rest, ice, all of the above?

Any knowledge would help.

Have a good one!

Aaron.

Not quite Friday here in Arizona

I got them REAL bad when I tried running outside several years before I became a runner. One cause that I think was one of my main issues was shoes. I just had "shoes" I didn't have "running shoes that were the right type/style/fit for me". The other thing I suffered from was trying to jump into a 1mile run at the dogs (fast) pace, but if your better half is following the C25k, then that shouldn't be a problem (unless they are pushing because it seems to easy).

Solutions I have heard include icing the sore area down (ice in a plastic bag 10 min on, 10 min off) soaking in ice water and rest. I would probably recommend they go back a week or so to the point where they were not suffering from the shin splints.

Good luck.
2007-02-01 9:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Woo hoo!!! I ran again!!! Only 4.5 miles, but no heel pain or coughing or anything. Took it slow the 1st mile and kept my HR below 140, then did a tempo run at about 9mpm for 2 miles then gradual slow down for next 1.5 miles.

Swimming yesterday ROCKED! I think because I hadn't been running or swimming for several days, so I had a taper mode mentality going on.

New shoes are needed more often than 300 miles for me, for now.

Happy runs/rest/races to all.

Stephen
2007-02-02 8:19 AM

User image

Good morning everyone, and happy groundhog day! Punxsutawney Phil, the groundhog, did NOT see his shadow - which means an early spring! Good for us triathletes!!!

Anyhow, just wanted to say hi and announce that I made the big step- I finally registered for my first race.... I'm so excited!!!

Have a great day everyone!
2007-02-03 8:08 PM

User image

New user

Melbourne, Australia

Call me immature, but geez this made me laugh....

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=65260&posts=19&start=1

Calling out to Neil and Jon..... come in fella's.......we don't what to have to put your photo's on the back of milk cartons.

As Neil would say, have a crazy weekend!

Aaron.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Matchman's Group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 8