BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Matchman's Group - FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2007-02-18 8:54 AM
in reply to: #658479

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Matchman's Group - FULL!
Good luck from this side of the world chaps!

Gor my foot down for just over 5 miles today and pleased with the response, 7.05 pace so pretty chuffed.

Have a crazy week peeps x

2007-02-18 9:07 AM
in reply to: #694408

User image

Veteran
Great run!

You'll be sub 7:00 in no time.

Now, if I could just break that 10:30...........

2007-02-18 10:08 AM

User image

Regular
Thanks Jon, that's the quickest this year and training has been patchy. I did a 10k in 6.56 pace last year which blew me away I was pretty stunned. I'm relaxed about the running as I only intend to do sprint tri this year, need to focus on the bike and swim buddy.

have a crazy day x
2007-02-18 5:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Race report is in. Here is the short version.

Good news:

- I finished
- I finished faster than my last PR (5:22 -> 4:48)
- No pain (soreness yes, but no foot pain like last time)

Bad news:

- My wife called an hour before I started with news that step-FIL passed away early this am.
2007-02-18 6:23 PM
in reply to: #694783

User image

Veteran
Stephen,

I'm sorry to hear about your FIL. You and your family will be in my prayers.

Congratualtions on your finish. New PR?

I hope you continue to be painless.

Jon

2007-02-18 6:37 PM
in reply to: #694817

User image

Extreme Veteran
Yes, 4:49:09 (gun time only) was a new PR, 5:22 (chip time) 5:29 (gun time). I guess most people do not track PR's separately for chip and gun time, so I will not differentiate. In this case, a chip time would have only been about 30 seconds slower than gun time.

(edited since the official times listed put me at a slightly longer time)

Edited by sandert 2007-02-22 7:24 AM

2007-02-19 7:31 PM

New user
great job on the race! If only I could run like that...I guess that is why we train.

2007-02-20 3:35 PM

User image

Elite
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea

Wow, Stephen!  You freakin' smoked it, man.  Knocking 34 minutes off your marathon PR is no small feat.  Doing that amid the stress of your FIL's death is even more impressive.  Congratulations. 

My sympathies to you and your wife on your loss.  Its never easy regardless of age or health or anything. 

As for my race on Sunday, it was an indoor tri at the University of Minnesota.  30 minutes each for swim, bike and run with 10 minute transitions.  Results are measured in distance.  It went pretty much as expected since my training's been a little lacking the last couple of months.  Swim was pretty poor, bike effort was good, and run went pretty well.  The only frustrating thing was that these stationary bikes had funky distance calcs.  I was pushing pretty darn hard and the thing had me averaging <15 mph.  Mind you I averaged almost 19 mph in all my races last year so I think the distance there was total bunk.  I'm not sure if it was uniformly bunk but I suppose it really doesn't matter given that I wouldn't be anywhere near the top. 

How 'bout everyone else?  How's the training coming?  Have you been thinking about your training plan?  Have you been working on your 2007 race schedule?  Please let me know if you need any help in that arena and I'll try to point you to the right resources. 

As for me, I kicked myself in the butt today and set up my training plans through mid-September.  My BHAG (Big Hairy Audacious Goal) for 2007 is a Half Ironman on September 9th.  I'll pepper in some other races between now and then but that's the my "AA" top priority race.  I'm already nervous just thinking about it but life is short, right?

Cheers to all,

Tom

2007-02-20 6:57 PM
in reply to: #697262

User image

Extreme Veteran
Matchman - 2007-02-20 2:35 PM

Wow, Stephen! You freakin' smoked it, man. Knocking 34 minutes off your marathon PR is no small feat.

Thanks Tom. A big part of the improvement was my mental prep. During my first marathon, my shoes gave out partway and my feet were in PAIN which I slowed down for. I prepared myself to mentally push myself even if/when the pain hit. Pain never hit, but fatigue did. I used my mental plans (mantras, mental songs, etc.) to push myself to run even when I didn't feel like I could. I had played the soundtrack for Iron Eagle about 10 times in the days before the race and stuck these lyrics in my head:

"The best steel goes through the fire
And you seem to burn"

and

"The last one out of thunder
He will always survive
But if you are starting to wonder
No no, you can never surrender"

It kept my few walk breaks short and kept my pace faster than I was comfortable with. I am in WAY more pain today and yesterday than I was 1-2 days after TCM mainly in my quads. After TCM, it was mostly foot pain.

Have you been thinking about your training plan? Have you been working on your 2007 race schedule?

I have Friels book and have been working on a plan through mu HIM on June 2nd. I have the weekly hours, but I need to finalize the detailed weekly/daily plan. I think I need to focus on endurance for biking and swimming. I want to keep my running up, but not let it dominate the breakthrough workouts. I'll sit down with that tonight after I get a bike ride in. Recovery week, so I just want to get 30-40 minutes in the saddle, with no speed or HR goals (other than keep HR low which is easy for me on the bike).

Speaking of HR, something I noticed at about mile 17 or so, my pace dropped by 45-60seconds per mile and my HR went up by about 10 bpm. Is that a symptom of "the wall"?

Edited by sandert 2007-02-21 8:31 AM
2007-02-21 8:33 AM
in reply to: #696278

User image

Extreme Veteran
PJOinSM - 2007-02-19 6:31 PM
great job on the race! If only I could run like that...I guess that is why we train.

Thanks! It is nice to see hard work pay off. I know I will be getting to a point where it gets harder and harder to set new PR's. I am getting older after all, but for now, it is nice to put in the work and see improvement not only in good times, but I've just moved my belt to a new notch.
2007-02-21 3:50 PM

User image

Regular
Well done on your races guys, great effort.

Life and training on hold for a while, my 57 year old brother in law is seriously ill in hospital, heart attacks and a stroke. He's not in great shape but is a determined so and so and is hanging in there.

Keep your fingers crossed he's a hell of a guy and to lose him so young would be hard to take.

Have a crazy day x

2007-02-21 4:52 PM
in reply to: #698480

User image

Veteran
Neil,

Give you brother in law our best, and we'll keep him in our prayers.

Jon
2007-02-21 4:55 PM
in reply to: #698480

User image

Extreme Veteran
njcavill65 - 2007-02-21 2:50 PM

my 57 year old brother in law is seriously ill in hospital, heart attacks and a stroke. He's not in great shape but is a determined so and so and is hanging in there.

Keep your fingers crossed he's a hell of a guy and to lose him so young would be hard to take.

prayers on their way from Arizona.
2007-02-21 6:56 PM

New user
family is always more important, my thoughts/prayers are with you.

I have a general question for everyone. Recently my right shoulder has been crunching a little and starting to hurt a bit when I swim. I am left-handed, so I assume it has something to do with me swimming like a fool with my offhand, does anyone have any suggestions on drills/workouts/lifts I can do to get my shoulder to not hurt?
2007-02-22 2:53 AM

User image

Regular
Guys

Thanks for your kind thoughts, sade news I'm afraid he left us in the early hours of this morning falling another heart attack. It's a grey day and a few tears have been shed but tonight I shall raise a glass to him and sink a cold beer as that's how he led his life and hell guys I'm gonna swim, ride and run like the wind this year with Rick on my shoulder.

Have a crazy day

Neil x
2007-02-22 7:33 AM
in reply to: #698655

User image

Extreme Veteran
First of all Neil, sorry to hear of your loss. Prayers are on their way to help your whole family heal.

PJOinSM - 2007-02-21 5:56 PM

I have a general question for everyone. Recently my right shoulder has been crunching a little and starting to hurt a bit when I swim. I am left-handed, so I assume it has something to do with me swimming like a fool with my offhand, does anyone have any suggestions on drills/workouts/lifts I can do to get my shoulder to not hurt?

Secondly, Pete, are we the same person?!!?!? I am also left-handed and just yesterday developed a sore right shoulder. What's up with that? Funny thing is when swimming yesterday, I took it easy. I didn't do any sprinting and minimal faster paced stuff. I still got in 1800 meters, so I guess my form was good (it better have been as I was really concentrating on it). Now I am wondering if I should take a day off swimming tomorrow or just try to take it easy, and maybe do extra kick drills if it starts to bother me.

Just got in my first post-marathon run. 3.2 miles in 36:42 for an avg pace of 11:29mpm. Right on track for a recovery run pace. No lingering aches or pain (other than the shoulder which I don't think has anything to do with the race.

Swim tomorrow and I'll shoot for a 60 min bike and 6-8 mile run Sat/Sun (not sure which day will be which right now)

Have a great day folks

2007-02-22 10:23 AM

User image

Elite
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea

Wow, Neil.  That's really disappointing news.  Sympathies and prayers from across the pond. Racing for Rick sounds like a great idea and a wonderful way to honor him.

As for shoulders hurting while swimming, I'd pay close attention to that.  If its muscle soreness and fatigue, fine. I get that after almost every swim. Eating quality recovery foods, ice on the area, and ibuprofen can do wonders. If you're feeling something other than that, I'd definitely proceed with caution.  This is yet another reason why a good swim coach is so important. They'll help get your technique to a place where you won't make hamburger of your shoulders.

Cheers!

Tom 

2007-02-23 8:38 AM

User image

Neil-

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family...

Take care,
Danielle
2007-02-23 1:51 PM

User image

Hey Tom!

Ok, so way back when, you mentioned BodyGlide as an anti-chafe... can you use it directly on skin? Or only on clothing? (Thats probably a dumb question... but since the race seems to be approaching, and im freaking out more and more, i figure i better get all my questions out there!)

Thanks
Danielle
2007-02-23 3:15 PM
in reply to: #700978

User image

Extreme Veteran
danielleaw - 2007-02-23 12:51 PM

Ok, so way back when, you mentioned BodyGlide as an anti-chafe... can you use it directly on skin? Or only on clothing? (Thats probably a dumb question... but since the race seems to be approaching, and im freaking out more and more, i figure i better get all my questions out there!)

Danielle, I use body glide directly on my skin in areas that are prone to chafing. It is just like a stick deodorant, just give it a few rubs on the skin that gets irritated. I generally don't have a problem until I am over about 10 miles, but when it is hotter, it gets worse sooner. On the other hand with body glide, I had absolutely NO chafing after my marathons.

And Pete, check out this article about swimmers shoulder http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=...

I skipped my swim this morning due to cough and runny nose. Since I am in my week of rest from the marathon, I figured it would be better to rest and not be out in the cold (relatively speaking, but even 50*F when wet would not help a cough) so that I am ready to go next week when I start my training plan for the HIM on June 2nd.

Hope all are well.
2007-02-27 9:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Begin compressions!!! 1-2-3 breathe.

It looks like our group is in need of CPR, so I started it

Seriously, hope everyone is ok and just not here because you are all training so hard.

This weekend was rough in my house. Fri evening, oldest son was diagnosed with bronchitis, sinus infection and borderline walking pneumonia. Sat morning youngest son woke up with a fever and also was diagnosed with bronchitis. I had been having a runny nose and the cough had started to get deeper in my chest, so I skipped swimming Fri and did no workouts till yesterday evening. Yesterday was my step-FIL's funeral, fortunately, we were all feeling enough better to attend, but still not a fun day.

So training-wise, I rode last nite and then again this morning. I am planning a 4-5 mile run this evening after work. Swimming tomorrow and take it from there, hoping to be back on track. Kind of tough planning some of these workouts because I have no hills anywhere near me. I have to drive about an hour to get to some runnable hills, so I almost never do.

At work, I received a "peer recognition" which includes $100. Talked it over with my wonderful wife who agreed that using that for aero-bars for my bike would be a good use. Planning on doing that this weekend while my oldest is in classroom for drivers education.

2007-02-27 9:51 AM

New user
well mate, good to see your health is improving at least!

I think everyone just got a case of the February blahs and training has been tough since then. I had a decent day working out yesterday and today I will be at the gym for another bike and maybe a lift.

Also, this weekend I am considering buying my first road bike! I am on a tight budget though, so any suggestions for a quality bike that will last me through training and a race is appreciated.

I am also considering dropping a little money on a HRM, any suggestions there as well? I know I can get the cheapo polar one for about $50, but I have had mixed luck with those.
2007-02-27 12:48 PM

User image

Regular
Hi guys, things still not great over here I’m afraid. Following the death of my brother in law last Thursday, I received further sad news on Saturday. I am a governor at my local primary school (ages 4-11), basically it’s a voluntary role and is like being a director of the school. Unfortunately the head teacher (principal) died suddenly on Saturday. She was a great friend and colleague and truly a remarkable lady, I’m pretty numb at the moment team, two deaths of loved ones in 2 days, my legs don’t feel like running.

Have a crazy day x
2007-02-27 2:31 PM
in reply to: #705092

User image

Extreme Veteran
njcavill65 - 2007-02-27 11:48 AM
Hi guys, things still not great over here I’m afraid. ... I’m pretty numb at the moment team, two deaths of loved ones in 2 days, my legs don’t feel like running.

So sorry to hear that.

Sending prayers for comfort.

There will be a time to run again, when you are ready. Take care. The principal of my kids school passed away suddenly a few years ago and that was very hard for my boys.
2007-03-01 4:55 AM
in reply to: #705253

User image

New user

Melbourne, Australia

That's terrible news, my thoughts are with you.

My apologies for not being so vocal over the past few weeks.  I'm feeling like i'm spread a little thin.  As my training increases, I find it more difficult to find time to do all the things I need to do in a day.  This has lead to some long days and late nights and early starts......and wouldn't you know it I got sick again.  Tonsillitis of all things, haven't had it since I was a child.

My training is going well (with the exception of the little blip) I'm going the train more specifically over the next few weeks for my first race on the 25th, short distance stuff.  I'm doing a short course 300/10/3 for my first, my original aim was a 750/20/5 mid-year but that's mid winter here.....so there isn't one.....duh!

I hope the rest of the year it better than it started for many of you.  It's often a painful reminder how fragile life is, that's it's not forever, and to cherish those you love. 

bye gang (i'm past my self imposed 9:30pm bedtime again!)

Aaron.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Matchman's Group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 8