Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2007-03-01 3:12 PM
in reply to: #658479

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Matchman's Group - FULL!
Hey Team

Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated. I’m back running, did 5 miles in a force 8 gale this morning, boy did it blow the cobwebs away!!

Hope you are all well

Have a crazy day x

2007-03-01 9:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hey all, I just posted on another area of BT, http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp... if any of you has any input, 'twould be appreciated.

Thanks
Stephen
2007-03-02 9:04 AM

User image

Happy Friday everyone!

Boy is it rainy and miserable here in Boston... Anyhow, I leave for Rome tomorrow, and as much as you guys did a great job of telling me not to worry about training while I'm there, I'm still nevous that I'm going to come back out of shape! Hopefully that isn't the case... Just to update you guys, I'm running a 5k on 4/22, a sprint tri on 5/20, and a half marathon on 5/27. I'm so excited, and I may very well plan some more in the late part of summer!

Also, Tom, I wanted to wish you a happy early birthday, as I won't have a chance to do so on the 7th!

Take Care guys, and I'll be right back into the swing of things when I get back on 3/11!~!

Happy training...
Danielle
2007-03-02 9:20 AM
in reply to: #708510

User image

Elite
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea

sandert - 2007-03-01 9:52 PM

Hey all, I just posted on another area of BT, http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp... if any of you has any input, 'twould be appreciated. Thanks Stephen

I can tell you for sure that anytime Bill chimes in with advice, you're in for some good stuff. He's a real student of this sport and training/human performance in general. He's also one bad-red bike mo-fo. Former Army Ranger and now a flight medic who helps scrape folks off the pavement after horrific accidents and airlifts them to trauma centers.

That said, I tend to agree with Dennis's advice. The TTB is a LOT to absorb. Take a peek at the HIM plans available here and see if they work for you. Perhaps you could pick up in the early weeks of one of the 20 week HIM Plans or use the "Olympic to HIM Bridge" plan which is 12 weeks? These probably require membership here on BT but they're great plans and, at the Gold level, the coaching you can get out of the $75 for six months is way more than worth it. That's why I've been a Gold member for a year and just re-upped for another 15 months.  

Thoughts? Questions?

Tom 

2007-03-02 10:27 AM
in reply to: #708758

User image

Extreme Veteran
danielleaw - 2007-03-02 8:04 AM

Anyhow, I leave for Rome tomorrow,
  • Danielle

Have a GREAT trip. I am sooo jealous. I have traveled a bit, but England is the only place outside of the Americas that I have been to and that was only a week and I had a conference for 2 of those days. I had a great time, but would love to do more traveling.

Be safe and have fun.
    Stephen
    2007-03-02 11:50 AM
    in reply to: #708758

User image

Elite

danielleaw - 2007-03-02 9:04 AM

I leave for Rome tomorrow, and as much as you guys did a great job of telling me not to worry about training while I'm there, I'm still nevous that I'm going to come back out of shape! Hopefully that isn't the case...

That definitely will not be the case. You might even find that the rest (and the Italian air, food, wine, chocolate, etc) will do you good. Most of all, HAVE FUN! Travel like that is a rare opportunity for most and I'm certain all of us here are 100% jealous.

Just to update you guys, I'm running a 5k on 4/22, a sprint tri on 5/20, and a half marathon on 5/27. I'm so excited, and I may very well plan some more in the late part of summer!

Sounds like some great plans. Any thought of doing something like an Olympic distance later in the year? You'd be primed for that distance with the training and racing you're doing. How's the bike buying process coming?

Also, Tom, I wanted to wish you a happy early birthday, as I won't have a chance to do so on the 7th! Take Care guys, and I'll be right back into the swing of things when I get back on 3/11!~! Happy training... Danielle

Awwww, shucks. Thanks, Danielle. Have a blast in Rome and tell us all about it when you return. Oh, and be careful. Those Italian guys are gonna go nuts for your blonde hair!

Ciao bella!

Tom

Edited by Matchman 2007-03-02 11:51 AM

2007-03-05 9:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    I did my first "brick" yesterday... 22 miles on the bike (avg speed just under 17 mph) followed by a brisk 3 miles @9:24 avg pace. Am LOVING my new aerobars on my bike. I easily added 2 mph to my bike speed. WOW what a difference $100's makes I also got a computer on the bike with cadence (the only thing my Garmin didn't do). I found my "natural cadence" to be in the 80- low 90's range.

I followed that up with a nice 2000 meter swim this morning. Felt like I was a fish today, it just seemed almost effortless and I was keeping pace with a swimmer who usually outpaces me.

Hope everyone is well. Matchman, did you dig out yet? My sister just sent me pictures of my nephew playing in a snow fort outside their house. Man that is a lot of snow! Take care.

2007-03-05 1:48 PM

User image

Regular
    Nice one Stephen sounds like its going well mate.

I’ve had a decent week, but still a bit distrtacted, funerals this week so hopefully can get on with life a little better afterwards. I’m doing a half-marathon in a town called Doncaster on Sunday, looking to bounce round at 8m 30sec pace or close to it, see how it goes, I’m not where I want to be by this point.

Ok you guys time for a bit of education. One of my passions is supporting my local football (that’s soccer to you guys) club, Hull City. We are a decent side but are battling to avoid relegation at the moment, bug game tomorrow night! Here’s the link to their official web site, click in and join the clan, be great to have some fellow Tigers across the pond!!

http://www.hullcityafc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Welcome

Have a crazy day! x
    2007-03-10 2:56 PM

User image

Regular
    Have guys hope its going well. Race day for me in the morning, a half-marathon in a town called Doncaster. As you know training has been not great this year so I'm going to have a bit of a gentle run.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Have a crazy day! x
    2007-03-10 7:27 PM

New user
    good luck on the race!

I am almost done with one of my toughest weeks of training in a long while. In the rowing world...we are practicing 4 times a week for an upcoming regatta now. I am not too confident on our chances at the race, but it will be fun to have a race/

After the race I am going to take a break from rowing and I plan on using that extra time to get in longer rides/runs/swims until my tri on June 10th. I cannot believe I have been training for over a month!
    2007-03-11 3:26 PM

User image

Regular
    Hi guys

The half-marathon went pretty well, distance I clocked was 13.23 in a time of 1hr 46.31 (8.03 pace). Felt comfy for most of the race, got a stitch at 9 miles and legs felt heavy from about 10 miles. Pretty pleased considering my training has been poor so far this tear so feeling tired but motivated right now!

Have a crazy week folks x

2007-03-12 10:44 AM

User image

Hello group! I'm back from Italy, and feeling VERY rejuvenated! Although I didn't do any running/training, we walked a TON, so I didn't feel too too bad about that. And, to be honest, the break from running actually made my workout this morning one of the best I've had in a while- it was kind of like the break from working out made me realize how much I actually love to exercise!

Hope everyone is well. The trip was amazing, and I am so lucky that I was able to go and see all that I saw. I can't stop smiling!

Have a great day everyone!

Danielle
    2007-03-12 5:30 PM
    in reply to: #719021

User image

Extreme Veteran
    njcavill65 - 2007-03-11 2:26 PM

The half-marathon went pretty well, distance I clocked was 13.23 in a time of 1hr 46.31 (8.03 pace).

Sounds like you were flying! I hope to get up to that kind of pace. My HM PR is 2:03:39. I did some speed intervals yesterday morning (.5 miles with 2 min recovery jogs) and kept most of the speed portion around 8:15. Now if I can get my longer tempo runs there. My PR in 10k is 59:xx and I'd like to bring that down quite a bit by Nov. There is a 10k here that I have run twice and would like to make it an annual tradition for me to both run it and set a new PR. They also have a 5k, so I'm thinking about doing what they call the citizens challenge: 5k short rest and then 10k. The 10k starts 45 min after the 5k starts. My current PR in 5k is about 31 min, but that hasn't been tested for about 1.5 years, so I figure I would have at least 20 minutes of recovery before the 10k. Still a ways off before I have to decide that.
    2007-03-12 5:33 PM
    in reply to: #719843

User image

Extreme Veteran
    danielleaw - 2007-03-12 9:44 AM

Hello group!
  • I can't stop smiling!

Danielle,

I think that comment says it all I know the feeling and would love to experience it again, but work keeps getting in the way.

Glad to hear you are bouncing back into your training with extra excitement.

So did you leave a trail of broken Italian hearts?
    2007-03-13 8:26 AM

User image

In response to: So did you leave a trail of broken Italian hearts?

Haha, to be honest, I actually met someone who is studying abroad there until May (he is studying with my cousin, Jenn... I went to Rome to visit her). He is from a few tons over from where I currently live (Boston), and we went on a date while I was there. Who knows what will happen in the future, but I think it's pretty cool to say that I went on a date in Rome!!!
    2007-03-13 9:23 AM
    in reply to: #704706

User image

Veteran
    HEY!! WHAT'S EVERYONE UP TO???

It's been so quiet lately, I thought I'd yell and disrupt everyone's day/night.

2007-03-15 12:17 PM

User image

Veteran
    So... I spent a couple of days watching and rewatching the Total Immersion Freestyle Made Easy DVD, and last night it seemed like things started coming together.

It seemed like I could have kept swimming, but forced myself to quit. Don't get me wrong, I'm still not a fish in the water, but my feet no longer feel like they're dragging the bottom.

Now to work on the run portion. I've got to do something to get over the 3 mile wall I keep hitting. I'm running both outside when the weathers nice and on a treadmill when it's not. Either way the same result. At about 2.5 miles, I'm out of gas, and have to push to finish.

I need help.

Any suggestions?
    2007-03-15 3:17 PM
    in reply to: #724136

User image

Extreme Veteran
    gonnatrione - 2007-03-15 11:17 AM

So... I spent a couple of days watching and rewatching the Total Immersion Freestyle Made Easy DVD, and last night it seemed like things started coming together.

It seemed like I could have kept swimming, but forced myself to quit. Don't get me wrong, I'm still not a fish in the water, but my feet no longer feel like they're dragging the bottom.

Great job! Remember that swimming is the shortest part of the triathlon, so as long as you can finish, you will be fine for the rest. Also, with more practice, you get more comfortable with it. I heard/read that 3 times a week is a good minimum frequency to keep swimming muscles in practice.

Now to work on the run portion. I've got to do something to get over the 3 mile wall I keep hitting. I'm running both outside when the weathers nice and on a treadmill when it's not. Either way the same result. At about 2.5 miles, I'm out of gas, and have to push to finish.

Any suggestions?

When I first started running (July/Aug 2005), I couldn't do 1 mile running. I was advised to slow down as I tried to increase distance. My weekly "long run" was only 2 miles for 4-6 weeks. Gradually increasing only the distance, I got up to be able to finish my HM in Jan 2006 (5 months) but I did NOT race that, it was run a bit, then walk a bit. Maybe if you run 1 mile, walk 1/2, run 1, walk 1/2 you will be able to stretch your distance. Or, you could a bit slower and see if you feel "dead" at 3 miles.

Also, are you trying to do 3 miles several times per week? If so, (and it looks like it, 'cause I just checked your log) cut back and do 2 or 2.5 (or less) for all but one of your runs. If your long run is 3 miles, that should only be done once per week. After a week or two, make the 1 long run 3.5, a few weeks later 4, then maybe increase your midweek runs a little bit at a time.

I would guess you are pushing your running muscles too far too often, so be careful, as this can lead to many overuse injuries. (tho I'm not a Dr and am not qualified to offer advice )

Good luck and feel free to ask any questions.
    Stephen
    2007-03-16 8:41 AM
    in reply to: #724427

User image

Veteran
    Stephen,

Thanks for the guidance. I'll work that into my schedule next week.

Jon
    2007-03-18 11:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    I am now a triathlete!!!! I finished a Sprint tri this morning. It included open water (lake) and severe hills.

Pictures are at:
    http://andert-news.spaces.live.com/?_c11_PhotoAlbum_spaHandler=TWlj...

Race Report is at:
    http://andertfamily.net/racing_reports.aspx

Crazy race and amazingly, I was not only NOT DFL out of the water, I was 16th of 36 men out of the water and 23rd overall male finisher. That is in spite of serious hills. There is a graph of the elevation change in the pictures linked above.

Later gang.
    2007-03-19 8:18 AM

User image

Congrats on the sprint tri! I have my first one coming up in April, and I'm such a scardy cat about it! Haha.

2007-03-20 6:32 AM
    in reply to: #724427

User image

Veteran
    Stephen,

As I said in your log, Congratulations on finishing your first Triathlon. I really enjoyed your post race blog, and pictures.

I followed your advice. Took a few days off from running and slowed down. This morning I was able to run 3.5 miles, and could have gone farther. I stopped instead of pushing it.

After looking back at my logs, I was more concerned with being under 10 min/mile, than anything else. I think the focus on time rather than quality/distance was one of the issues.

Thanks again for your guidance.
    2007-03-20 8:25 AM

User image

Elite

Rock on, Stephen! Congratulations, Triathlete. Indeed, you must've had some crazy hills in that race. I've been out to Bartlett (nearly had to treat a friend for a rattlesnake bite) and there are some sick hills out there. You could be grinding up a hill at 5 mph one minute and then coasting down at 40 the next. Fun times! Did you learn any good lessons that you'll take into your HIM?

Jon, I know I'm gonna sound like a broken record here, but have you considered a training plan? They're really useful not only because they take out some of the guesswork but they also accomplish the ramp-up that you're looking for. Peruse the plans here and see what you think.

Have a great Tuesday everyone!

Tom

2007-03-20 8:55 AM
    in reply to: #729785

User image

Veteran
    Tom,

Over the past two weeks, I've followed a couple of plans to see which one I felt was best for me, RPE or HR. I'm going to start with an RPE plan until I can complete my LT test. No use using a HR plan if I don't know my zones.

I've signed up for a Triathlon, and a plan. The plan starts next Monday. It's a 12 week plan, and the Tri is 16 weeks out. That allows me to complete the plan prior to the event. My goal is to work in some 5k or 10k run events before then, and possibly another sprint. There's one in July that I'm looking at, which would toward the end of the training plan. I'm running a 5k with my wife and daughter this Sunday. They're walking and I'm running. Should be a fun family morning.

Jon
    2007-03-20 11:23 AM
    in reply to: #729785

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Matchman - 2007-03-20 7:25 AM

Rock on, Stephen! Congratulations, Triathlete. Indeed, you must've had some crazy hills in that race. I've been out to Bartlett (nearly had to treat a friend for a rattlesnake bite) and there are some sick hills out there. You could be grinding up a hill at 5 mph one minute and then coasting down at 40 the next. Fun times! Did you learn any good lessons that you'll take into your HIM?

Tom

The nice thing about the course was that the last half of the bike was nearly all downhill, so I started the run on pretty rested legs due to ~20 min of coasting up to 38mph or so. I still can't believe my run split of 27 min for 2.2 miles. Going uphill, my GPS said I averaged 12 min/mile for the first mile. Downhill, I glanced at my actual pace a few times and saw I was in the 7's, so I don't know how or where I lost all that time, but it was a challenge.

As far as lessons learned. Sunday I knew right away that I need to start doing hills again, especially since someone I was talking with told me the HIM I am doing is a similar course (arrrgh). I am planning on trying to drive to South Mountain at least 1/month and hopefully every other week. Lesson #1: more hill training!

I also realized as I was in T1 that I had forgotten to take my Gu out of my bag when I setup my transition area, so I only had 1 bottle of Gatorade for fuel. There was no aid station on the bike and 1 (water only) on the run. Lesson #2: Make sure I have more than enough fuel without relying on aid stations.

Finally, yesterday and today I have realized that I am not very sore. When I realized how hilly the course was, I spent the whole time going up (bike and run) thinking "I don't do enough hill training for this" and "this course is too hard to do well for me" and other negative self talk. I think that mentally made me push my body less than I was capable of. Compare that to my Feb marathon where I was expecting hills and pain, every time I started to slow down, I repeated lyrics from motivating songs that I had been jamming into my braid for the week before the event and that pushed me to push harder. Lesson #3: Prepare my mind for my next race to push myself, tunes, motivational quotes ("pain is temporary, quitting is forever") intensely the final week or two before the race.

The swim really threw me. Whether it was the cold or the tightness of the wetsuit or both along with open water nerves, I didn't seem to be able to get a deep breath until 100-150 meters in. Lesson #4: Get more open water swim practice. I guess I need to rent another wetsuit and then get myself up to a lake with a local tri club (open water swim Thur and Sat every week) until I find a wetsuit I can afford and think I will be happy with.

I guess I am happy with learning 4 lessons. Now I just need to apply them.

New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Matchman's Group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 8