of 8

2007-03-20 12:18 PM
in reply to: #729838

User image

Elite
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
Subject: RE: Matchman's Group - FULL!

gonnatrione - 2007-03-20 8:55 AM

Tom, Over the past two weeks, I've followed a couple of plans to see which one I felt was best for me, RPE or HR. I'm going to start with an RPE plan until I can complete my LT test. No use using a HR plan if I don't know my zones. I've signed up for a Triathlon, and a plan. The plan starts next Monday. It's a 12 week plan, and the Tri is 16 weeks out. That allows me to complete the plan prior to the event. My goal is to work in some 5k or 10k run events before then, and possibly another sprint. There's one in July that I'm looking at, which would toward the end of the training plan. I'm running a 5k with my wife and daughter this Sunday. They're walking and I'm running. Should be a fun family morning. Jon

Awesome, Jon! If you follow the plan, then you'll definitely be ready to RACE. This may be just how I'm reading your post but I would make it so that your plan ends on race day. If that means doing the first 4 weeks twice, then so be it. The plans are set up so that you can peak on race day.

As for RPE or HR, it really doesn't matter much if you're listening to your body. You can probably define easy, medium, and hard without knowing or caring what HR that corresponds to. Just make sure you're sticking with the effort prescribed in the plan. Easy means easy.

So glad to hear your family's getting involved with you. That's a huge plus!

Cheers!

Tom

2007-03-20 12:22 PM
in reply to: #658479

New user
congrats on the tri!

which wetsuit did you use? I need to rent one too, but not sure which one, how much and from where.

Not really in the budget for me to get a new one...so any tips would be appreciated!
2007-03-20 12:27 PM
in reply to: #730219

User image

Extreme Veteran
PJOinSM - 2007-03-20 11:22 AM

congrats on the tri!

which wetsuit did you use? I need to rent one too, but not sure which one, how much and from where.

Not really in the budget for me to get a new one...so any tips would be appreciated!

Thanks. It was a blast! I rented a Zoot from a local tri-shop. I just used an online phone directory (dexonline.com if they cover your area and found a couple. one place was $20 for the weekend, but they rent sleeveless and didn't have my size available. Another place was $45 for full sleeves and did have one that fit me, so I took it.

Google "triathlon retail store +AZ +PHOENIX" or something for your area. the +STATE will really help reduce the noise and bad hits.

Good luck.
2007-03-20 12:42 PM
in reply to: #730130

User image

Elite

sandert - 2007-03-20 11:23 AM

Lesson #1: more hill training!

Yeah, if you've got a hilly HIM coming up, that might be a good idea. You'll definitely build some strength that way

I also realized as I was in T1 that I had forgotten to take my Gu out of my bag when I setup my transition area, so I only had 1 bottle of Gatorade for fuel. There was no aid station on the bike and 1 (water only) on the run. Lesson #2: Make sure I have more than enough fuel without relying on aid stations.

This is probably the most important lesson in the bunch. A HIM is long. If you're speedy, it'll be 5 hours. Far more likely is something in the 6-7 hour range. That's a loooooong time to be exerting yourself. As you well know from your marathons, the digestive system essentially shuts down or goes into hibernate mode during long intense efforts making your race day nutrition one of the most critical factors to success. During your long rides, runs, and bricks, experiment with your nutrition to try to get it dialed in. 

I think you will have to rely on aid stations for at least part of your nutritional plan. That'll probably only mean water and/or gatorade at the aid stations but there's no way you could carry enough for the 5+ hours of bike and run.

Lesson #3: Prepare my mind for my next race to push myself.

Amen to that one. Mindset is probably critical success factor #2 behind nutrition. You'll be physically prepared but your mind sure can screw with your body! That's one of my big personal goals for 2007, too. I want to get better at ignoring the pain and those voices in the back of my head that tell me its OK to back off. A friend here on BT (autumn) recommended "The Triathlete's Guide to Mental Training" as a resource for exactly this kind of focus. I'm going to pick up a copy myself.

Lesson #4: Get more open water swim practice.

Even if you don't have a wetsuit get more OWS practice. As for affordable wetsuits, consider ProMotion wetsuits. I've got a full suit and like it just fine and know a bunch of folks who're very happy with theirs. They have incredible customer service and they offer a BT discount, too. There are definitely other great brands that offer affordable suits. I see that you can get a QR sleeveless suit for $199. 

I guess I am happy with learning 4 lessons. Now I just need to apply them.

What are you waiting for?!?! Get out there!

Again, congratulations and happy HIM training. Go kick South Mountain's a$$.

Cheers!

Tom

2007-03-20 12:46 PM
in reply to: #730214

User image

Veteran
Shouldn't you be packing for vacation instead of cruising BT?

Really though, thanks for advice of ending on race day. I'll make sure that I work the plan so those dates correspond.
2007-03-20 3:06 PM
in reply to: #730259

User image

Elite

gonnatrione - 2007-03-20 12:46 PM

Shouldn't you be packing for vacation instead of cruising BT?.

Trying to get some work done while my brain's in vacation mode. BT is a good distraction from that. I'm going to go home and get in a trainer ride, run a few errands, and then pack. Beyond that, all I need to worry about is how many pina coladas I'm gonna drink each day.

2007-03-21 4:35 PM

User image

Regular
Congrats Stephen, brilliant race!

Have a crazy day peeps!
2007-03-25 3:25 PM

User image

Regular
Hello peeps

Started taking the swimming more seriously today. I'm going to swim breaststroke in my first tri in May as my crawl is poor, so on that basis I swam 400 mtrs this morning in 10m 34 before I sank! I'll keep pushing it and see if i can find a minute or so more before the race.

Boy give me running shoes any day!

Have a crazy day folks x
2007-03-25 11:36 PM
in reply to: #736102

User image

Extreme Veteran
Good job on swimming. In my tri last week, I swam breast stroke for a ways because I couldn't seem to catch my breath. Then I got into my grove and was able to do freestyle most of the way. I think that (swimming mostly free) is part of the reason I did pretty good on the swim.

Keep up the good work and keep on swimming.
2007-03-29 3:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
OK, I think Matchman's on vacation (or is he back now?), but where is everyone else?

I am in a step-back week and with only 6.5 hours scheduled (12.5 last week) I feel like I am getting fat and lazy. Tuesday was the first day I have not had at least 1 workout in at least 1 month.

My 3.1 mile run this morning started slloooowww, then my legs got loosened up and I got my pace up again. Nice thing is an easy run is now closer to 10 minute miles where a few months ago it would have been 10:30-11:00 and with a higher avg HR. I am planning on doing a 10 mile race the end of April with a friend from coolrunning.com who is coming to AZ. Well, I know he'll beat me by a lot, but we will be running in the same event.

I want to do another open water swim, but not sure when I will get around to it. I just checked on the swim cutoff time for my HIM in Jun. Using my pace from the Sprint I just did (775 m in 20 min) and rounding the 1.2 mile swim up to 2000m, I should be able to finish with 18 minutes to spare, even assuming no improvement from my first race till the HIM. With almost 3 whole months in between, I would hope I would have some improvement by then. I now have my hotel reservations. BTW, for those of you in the US, if you make hotel reservations and the event says "mention triathlon to get the preferred rate", ask the hotel if AAA is a better rate. I am saving a bit over $10 per night with the AAA rate instead of the triathlon rate. Of course, that only helps if you are a AAA member, but if so, it helps pay for itself.

Later folks, hope your training is going well.
Stephen
2007-03-30 4:33 PM

User image

Hi Everyone!

Sorry I have been MIA for a bit... traveling for work - very little time to train! Anyhow, I'm done with traveling for the most part. I looked at my training log, and my March totals are seriously GROSS... I haven't been training hard at all, and I'm really mad at myself. Some weeks I would only get 2 or 3 runs in.... 3 runs a week isn't going to do me any good.

Anyhow, i went for a semi-long run this afternoon, and came to the realization that no matter what has happened in the past month, I need to move on. TODAY begins the REAL Danielle training... wish me luck.

I have a 5k is 24 days, and want to kick BUTT in it, as I know a lot of folks in my office who are running in it. They don't know how much I workout, or train, because I don't really talk about it with too many people besides my lovely BT chat group... however, I really want to go out there and knock some socks off. PLUS, I'm 22 years old, and the closest person in age to me in 26... I'm the baby of the office, and I need to show my youth.

Ok, sorry for all the rambling... but I just wanted to make it stick in my head: TODAY is the beginning of the rest of my life (ok ok so that is a bit drastic... let me try again) TODAY is the beginning of BETTER training.

Thanks for listening guys, I appreciate it
Danielle

2007-04-02 3:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Danielle,

Way to go! Get back on that horse (err bike) and ride, or run or swim! Get it in gear and with your youthfullness, you will be great!

OK, so I finally did another "test" with my Polar HRM. It said that my VO2 max is 46. This is up from last 8/19/06 when it was 39. As long as that test is reasonably accurate (or at least consistent), that means I am fitter now than last August as I was ramping up for my first full marathon. Right? What can I do with this info? Just track it over time? Use it to determine when I can/should train harder?

I "survived" my recovery week and got caught up on some stuff around the house, but I'm hoping this lazy feeling doesn't happen every recovery week as I just didn't feel like going to the pool this morning. I did anyway, but didn't feel like going.

Anyway, hope everyone's training, racing, etc is going well.

Stephen
2007-04-03 2:59 PM

User image

Regular
Hi peeps

Just ran a local race tonight, did 4 miles in 28m 14s which I was pleased with. How are we all doing, training going well. I'm still not in the groove yet but tonight should give me a kick!

have a crazy day x
2007-04-03 3:37 PM

New user
hey all,

I am back on the triathlon horse. I decided to take a few months off from the rowing activities and focus once more on my triathlon training. I expect myself to start knocking some of these numbers out of the park My weight is down to 238 and I think I can take another few pounds off in these next few weeks.

Anyway, I went swimming/running yesterday. My swim felt VERY sluggish, but my run was pretty solid - 3.33 miles in 30 minutes on the treadmill.

Spring has sprung and it is time to kick some butt on the training!
2007-04-10 11:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hey all,

I am still fighting to get my bike speed up. I am doing 3-4 bike rides a week. 1 long ride (2 hours-32 miles on Sunday). 1 intervals (:30 max pace, 2:00-2:30 recovery). 1 LT (but I have trouble keeping my HR up high enough to qualify) and 1 easy (same pace as long ride).

Any ideas?
2007-04-10 3:25 PM

User image

Regular
Howdy Peeps

Well the bike is out at last, just a quick 26 mile blast at the weekend, averaged 16.7mph so was quite pleased for the first ride of the season.

Did another race tonight, 4 miles in 27m 21secs, pleased with that too (not too often I sub 7 minute mile run).

Going start building the swim now, wish me luck!

Have a crazy day x

2007-04-19 2:42 PM

User image

Regular
Is there anybody out there???!!!!

How are you all folks, no doubt too busy to train.

I'm guilty of focussing on my running again I'm afraid, did a 3.5 mile race on Tuesday in 23m 38s which was the fastest pace I've done (6.48m). I did a steady 10.5 miles tonight at 7.54 min mile pace which was a really nice run.

Swimming is coming along and I'm going for a longish ride this weekend which I'm excited about!

Hope you're all well.

Have a crazy day peeps
2007-04-19 5:43 PM
in reply to: #768868

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nice running pace!

I have been busy following my plan. I missed a few days, but good excuses. Sunday I volunteered at IMAZ. I got to ride my motorcycle around the bike course ahead of the lead male bike with a GPS so announcers could see about where he was. It was tricky because I was told to keep at least 1/4 mile in front of him. How in H3!! am I suppossed to even see a bike a 1/4 mile much less figure out if they are the lead male on the 2/3 lap or an age grouper on their first lap?!?!?! I ended up coming in to the staging area next to the bike-run only about 5 minutes ahead of the leader. I didn't want to let him get too close near the end 'cause there were a lot of turns that they can take faster on the bike than I could on the motorcycle and I didn't want to block him.

Between volunteering and spectating, I ended up being there about 12 hours, so no workout that day. Was glad I had moved my long run to Saturday which meant 2 hr run and 2 hr ride on Sat, so I only missed a 45 minute workout.

Monday I had to finish my taxes, so no workout then.

Tuesday I bounced back with a nice brick.

Yesterday was an easy bike and I discovered that my right arm-rest on my aerobars was cracked so I can't rest on it. Need to get that into the bike shop to get it replaced.

Anyway, gotta run.
Later
2007-04-20 9:57 AM

User image

Veteran

No one's home, please leave a message.......... beep.

2007-04-20 10:04 AM

User image

Veteran

Sorry about missing the call, I was "training".

I joined a March Challenge and overdid it.  I couldn't wait to make my distances, and once I did, I wanted to quit.  Took a couple of days off and went back at a reasonable pace.

I'm using the HR method now versus the RPE and my body feels better.  My pace is a lot slower, but it seems like most people experience the same thing.

Now, if I could just get back to the pool.

2007-04-22 1:05 PM

User image

Regular
Evening peeps

Had my first decent bike ride of the year today, did 49miles in 3hrs 15mins and loved it, it was great to be out, must do it more often!

If you find the pool jon, point it in my direction buddy!

Have a crazy day peeps! x

2007-04-23 10:54 PM

New user
beware the ides of March!

Well for me, it was the start of April. My training has been GARBAGE the past 3 weeks. I think I overdid it one week on the training about a month ago and it really disturbed my training.

Anyway, this week I am back on the horse and should be making my workouts

Hope everyone is doing alright and the weather is picking up wherever you are
2007-04-25 11:15 AM
in reply to: #773933

User image

Extreme Veteran
PJOinSM - 2007-04-23 9:54 PM

Anyway, this week I am back on the horse and should be making my workouts

Hope everyone is doing alright and the weather is picking up wherever you are

Glad to hear you are back with it! I am doing pretty good on my plan, last week was scheduled to be the peak week of the current 4 week block with this week as recovery. I ended up missing several workouts (tax deadline caught me unprepared and I had a few late nights to get finished), but I still got 3 runs, 3 rides and 1 swim in. My long run Sat was the longest of this training period and the longest run since my Feb marathon...14 miles in 2:30. The long bike Sunday was a new distance best for me @ 39.9 miles also in 2:30. Both those times included stops for refueling, so in a race, I know I could knock some time off if I don't need to wait in line to buy my Gatorade.

Weather here in AZ is warming up, supposed to be in the 90*s this week. Glad this is a recovery week, but I am racing a 10 miler on Sunday with some friends from an online running forum.

Anyway, I did a 1000 m time trial in the pool today in a bit over 20 min (specific is in my log) which is a bit faster than the last time I did it about a month ago. Only 37 days till my first HIM. One more training block till taper time.
2007-05-04 4:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Good luck to me on 04/13/08. I need to start collecting good vibes now...

"Your registration has been successful! for the 2008 Ironman Arizona."

I printed my registration confirmation, but think maybe I should be printing out self-commitment paperwork for the nut-house instead. 140.6 miles?!?!?! Well, that's $500 that I'll never see again, so I guess I'd better start working on my 11 month training plan as soon as I catch my breath from my half-ironman on June 2nd. Gulp!
2007-05-05 10:53 AM

User image

Regular
Nice one Stephen, I think I'll be a sprint tri man for a year or so as I'm really focussed on my running at the moment! My riding partner has entered the Sahara desert marathon in 2009 http://www.saharamarathon.co.uk/he's a crazy boy!

Have a crazy day peeps (well those of us that are still left in the group)!! x
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Matchman's Group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 8