General Discussion Triathlon Talk » post-surgery diet Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-01-21 8:28 AM

Extreme Veteran
Subject: post-surgery diet

I had surgery on thursday for a torn rotator cuff.  I am struggling with what to eat while I am totally inactive!!  I have already gained several lbs. even though I feel like I am eating like a mouse.  I hope it has something to do with all the meds.  Any suggestins for a low cal post op diet ?

thank you!

2007-01-23 9:26 AM
in reply to: #662165

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Subject: RE: post-surgery diet
Angela, I'm no expert, but these are the things that I've tried to do since my surgery:

1) Ensure good amounts of protein. This is the building block for soft tissue. Lean meats, fish, low-fat dairy, maybe even a protein bar if you're into those things.

2) A wide variety of colors from fruits and vegies. The different colors provide different free-radical scavengers - the offshoot of damaged tissue. The different colors provide a broad range of anti-inflamatory compounds. They also provide a broad range of vitamins and minerals.

A healing body requires a lot of nutrients. Make sure that you give it to your body. Don't worry about weight gain for awhile. There's plenty of time to lose whatever you might gain once you're healthy again. If you're eating quality foods, you won't gain that much anyway. But the bottom line is that its more important to ensure proper nutrients to heal than worry about a few pounds right now.

Get healthy first. Then worry about anything you might have gained. Thats been my plan at least.

2007-01-24 10:40 AM
in reply to: #662165

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: post-surgery diet
that's great advice with good concrete info. thanks Rob!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » post-surgery diet Rss Feed