General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chlorine wrecking havoc on skin Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-01-21 2:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Chlorine wrecking havoc on skin
Hello BT...

I have recently begun swimming on a much more frequent basis as I: a) want to be more competitive this year and b) am taking a swimming class at University (and therefore need to practice so I don't fail!)

Long story short: my skin is now dry, itchy, red and uncomfortable. Though I have been trying to soap the chloriney water off of me ASAP and have been moisturizing, I think its getting worse. Any ideas are welcome...please! Help me save my skin!

Megz

Edit: PS - My face is getting the worst of the redness...I've stopped wearing any makeup and am trying to basically leave it alone, save for the moisturizer. Tips on how to save my face are particularly welcome

Edited by Princess_Megz 2007-01-21 2:35 PM

2007-01-21 2:36 PM
in reply to: #662401

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Chlorine wrecking havoc on skin
I'd ask a pharmacist to suggest a lotion.  Or you could try a whole gang of lotions.
2007-01-21 2:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Spokane, Washington
I'm having the same problem, but not to the same extent....I'm just so itchy it's driving me bonkers.  I'm using a moisturizing body wash right out of the pool, and trying to remember lotion (but it's hard to lotion your own back).  In any case, I'm thinking about throwing baby oil into my gym bag.  Any other ideas?
2007-01-21 2:44 PM

User image

Expert
North Central WV

Good for you for improving your swimming!  Sorry to hear that the chlorine is giving you a hard time!  I also have problems with chlorine, although the redness in my face tends to go away soon after I have showered.

My solution to all dry skin issues is to use baby oil liberally after a shower and before drying off with a towel (pat dry instead of rub).  It works for me if I do it consistently but it is a royal pain in the butt so I don't do it consistently!

I am not so sure what to do with your face.  Perhaps you could put a moisturizer or baby oil on the dryest parts right before getting in to the pool (but be careful not to put it where your goggles go).  This might provide a barrier between your face and the chlorine.  It wouldn't work with a water-soluble product though.  I know that if my skin is already irritated, moisturizing makes it worse so you might want to wait until the redness goes down after your shower before applying the moisturizer.  Perhaps a cold water spritz would be helpful.  Sorry I cannot be of more help.

2007-01-21 2:59 PM

User image

Veteran
I had the same issue and a dermatoligist friend said to use baby oil. Her suggestion was to rinse off as soon as I exited the pool and use the baby oil while the skin is still wet, and before toweling off (pat dry).
2007-01-21 3:05 PM

Elite
Denver, Colorado
First, stop being such a Princess!

Sounds like eczema. I got some steroid cream from my allergist and it worked well. But before going that route, first try a good lotion, liberally applied. Gold Bond is good. Vaseline lotion products are good. Remember, it's the lotion products - don't just slather plain old Vaseline on yourself because that's just weird. Plain old baby oil also works, although it tends to be very greasy and may cause pore blockages.

Yes, I am a heterosexual male who has tried all kinds of lotions. I live in Denver - mile high and dry. Dry skin is practically a way of life here. Without lotion, I'd be like sandpaper.

2007-01-21 4:21 PM

User image

Expert
Eucerin cream. I think you can get it at any drugstore...it's thicker than usual lotion.
2007-01-21 6:00 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
For your face, try a combo of castor oil and olive or jojoba oil. Apply liberally after a swim, then steam it off while you're in the shower. Wipe down with a washcloth to remove excess oil. If you are still dry, try plain olive oil or jojoba oil for more moisture. I know it sounds a bit weird to soak your face in oil, but just give it a try. I found it on a different forum and now have all the women in my extended family hooked. Its like a miracle.
2007-01-21 6:33 PM
in reply to: #662580

Elite
Denver, Colorado
Atlantia - 2007-01-21 6:00 PM

For your face, try a combo of castor oil and olive or jojoba oil. Apply liberally after a swim, then steam it off while you're in the shower. Wipe down with a washcloth to remove excess oil. If you are still dry, try plain olive oil or jojoba oil for more moisture. I know it sounds a bit weird to soak your face in oil, but just give it a try. I found it on a different forum and now have all the women in my extended family hooked. Its like a miracle.

Add a little garlic and basil for a nice Italian flavor.
2007-01-21 6:53 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
I really wouldn't recommend eating castor oil. The easiest place to find it is in the drugstore in the laxative section.
2007-01-21 7:17 PM
in reply to: #662622

Elite
Denver, Colorado
Atlantia - 2007-01-21 6:53 PM

I really wouldn't recommend eating castor oil. The easiest place to find it is in the drugstore in the laxative section.

Well, I really like pasta and pizza, and I tend to overeat on those foods, so...

2007-01-21 8:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz
Using a barrier cream before you get in the pool helps too.  I've started putting a thicker moisturiser on before I go swimming and don't have any problems with chlorine now. (prevention is always better then the cure )
2007-01-21 9:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area- California

You need to start treating your skin as "environmentally sensitized", since it has frequent exposure to chlorine.  Make sure you carefully check your product labels to avoid some of the following common irritants: lanolin, mineral oil ( too occlusive), artificial colors, fragrances, alcohols.  Dermalogica has one of the best lines for environmentally sensitized skin, but you can also find good products at your local natural foods market.  For the body, hydrate the skin with jojoba, olive oil (great job Atlantia!), shea butter, almond oil, etc.  Mineral oil should be avoided because it forms an occlusive seal, doesn't let the skin breathe and for most it will clog your pores.  For the face, hydrate with a soothing spritz style toner (Dermalogica's Soothing Protection Spray, or plain witch hazel but spray it on), then apply a silicone base moisturizer which will hold in moisture without being occlusive.  (Dermalogica's Barrier Repair is a good one).  Make sure you are also using a chemical free sunblock over your moisturiser during the day.  To help prevent your skin from further irritation from your make-up, switch to a mineral based make-up line.  The mineral oxides provide the colors/hues so you aren't putting artificial colors on your skin and they also have healing qualities.  If you have any more skin questions feel free to pm me.

Good luck,

Gina

2007-01-21 11:07 PM
in reply to: #662411

User image

Expert
Sherman Oaks, CA
SenjaO - 2007-01-21 12:40 PM

I'm having the same problem, but not to the same extent....I'm just so itchy it's driving me bonkers. I'm using a moisturizing body wash right out of the pool, and trying to remember lotion (but it's hard to lotion your own back). In any case, I'm thinking about throwing baby oil into my gym bag. Any other ideas?

I have the exact same issue. Very itchy skin. I will try baby oil too.
2007-01-22 3:01 AM

User image

Expert
lake forest, California

I'm sure some peoples skin are sensitive to chlorine- there are alternatives in some areas to chlorine pools. Some pools are saline now, but not always a reasonable option. Rinsing prior to getting in the water at least wets your skin before its attacked by the pool chemicals. Rinsing right after getting out helps as well-plus the body oil after showering-

2007-01-22 1:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Michigan

For the bod-- straight up olive oil or Almond Aura Glow Oil from the health food store--  basically olive and peanut oils with almond fragrance. Skin feels awesome and I smell like marzipan. Yum. The lable says it's  "based on the Edgar Cayce readings" so it helps out with the whole clairvoyance thing too.  

edit: clairvoyant yes, good speller no.

Edited by TRIFOR40 2007-01-22 1:29 PM

2007-01-22 4:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wow so many good responses! Thanks everyone for the ideas! I will definetly try them out to see what works best. If you've got more ideas, keep 'em coming!

Megz
2007-01-22 6:18 PM

User image

I have the same issue with chlorine - dry skin, redness, irritation.. and I found a great lotion at the Vitamin Shop in downtown Victoria: Botanical Therapeutics skin cream plus.  It's not cheap ($10.98 for small, $27.98 for large) but it works wonders for me.  Very gentle, very soothing.  Might be worth a try?

2007-01-23 10:43 AM
in reply to: #662425

User image

Champion
Schwamalamadingdong!
MikeTheBear - 2007-01-21 3:05 PM

First, stop being such a Princess!

Sounds like eczema. I got some steroid cream from my allergist and it worked well. But before going that route, first try a good lotion, liberally applied. Gold Bond is good. Vaseline lotion products are good. Remember, it's the lotion products - don't just slather plain old Vaseline on yourself because that's just weird.

Actually, plain ol' petroleum jelly is one of the best things you can use.

When my skin is freaking out during the winter, about once a week i'll take a warm (not hot!) bath. When i'm still kind of wet from the tub, coat my whole body in petroleum jelly and sleep in sweats, cotton gloves, and socks. When i wake up in the morning, my skin's SO much better it's ridiculous.

i saw a dermatologist some years ago for my eczema, and he gave me a tub of stuff that's basically petroleum jelly (with one added ingredient that really isn't that important, i've found). This is the best. i'm thinking about doing this the night before going swimming (now that i'm going to start that up again...) to see if i can prevent the dryness to begin with...

Yes, i fully realize this is weird and gross, but it works.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chlorine wrecking havoc on skin Rss Feed