General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Orthopedist Or Sports Med Dr.? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-01-21 7:52 PM

User image

Woodstock
Subject: Orthopedist Or Sports Med Dr.?
Having problems with my right knee, pretty sure it's some sort of overuse problem, but want to make sure it's not something worse.

My question is: Should I go to a Orthopedist or a Sports Medicine Doc, I have both options in my insurance "provider finder"? Is there a difference? There is a difference in the search results, much fewer Sports med Docs.

2007-01-21 8:18 PM
in reply to: #662670

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Orthopedist Or Sports Med Dr.?

I think finding a doc with a good reputation is probably more important.  If you can find people in your area that recommend somebody based on past interactions with them, that's probably more important than their speciality.

Sue's gonna say to go see an orthopedist though. 

2007-01-22 3:04 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Sports Medicine is a Subspecialty of medicine and generally comes in 2 flavors...surgical or primary care.

Orthopedic physicians can do a fellowship in sports medicine and obviously focus on surgical sports medicine, but can evaluate, diagnose and prescribe apporopriate treatment for non-surgical problems as well.

Primary care sports medicine physicians are family practice, internal medicine, pediatric or emergency medicine physicians who have done a fellow ship in sports medicine. They receive training in surgical treatments by assisting in surgery and so are very familiar with what problems need to be referred to a surgeon. But in practice they obviously focus on the evaluation and treatment of non-surgical problems, or sometimes do the rehab/follow up visits post-surgery.

There are many practice models in which orthopedic & primary care sports medicine physicians are in practice together, thus having the ability to treat all comers.
2007-01-22 7:28 AM

User image

Woodstock

Derek, I totally agree, I've got the names of a couple of Orthopedists that friends/relatives have seen, I saw the sports med option while searching and got wondering if that might be better alternative.

Sue, Thanks for the clarification, that helps.
2007-01-25 12:26 AM
in reply to: #662946

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
mpet555 - 2007-01-22 6:28 AM

Derek, I totally agree, I've got the names of a couple of Orthopedists that friends/relatives have seen, I saw the sports med option while searching and got wondering if that might be better alternative.

Sue, Thanks for the clarification, that helps.

You're welcome, but I'm not Sue, I'm Suzanne. Sue is an orthopedic sports medicine doc, the one Derek referred to, and she didn't pipe into this forum. I'm an ER doc who digs athletics, but beyond my special interest, I have no fellowship training in sports.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Orthopedist Or Sports Med Dr.? Rss Feed