BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Counselor's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2007-04-09 12:30 PM
in reply to: #663877

New user
Willard/Springfield, MO
Subject: RE: Counselor's Group - FULL
If you can afford to go to a bike shop, have them do a bike fitting for you to find out what size bike you need. Frame and fitting does matter. Most preliminary fittings (at least ones I've found) cost about $20 to $30, but at least you know what you're looking for (they get you in the right ball park for bike sizes...you would know, more or less, for example whether you should be considering a 54-inch frame or if you need to be closer to 50 inches -- though bike geometry varies by manufacturer).

I've HEARD that the Felt line of road bikes' geometry is actually set up fairly close to that of a tri bike, but check that out with your LBS (Local Bike Shop) that your tri friends recommend.

Good luck!

Dan

2007-04-09 5:42 PM

New user
Sadly, I don't yet have any tri friends to ask about LBS. The shop I patronize now is more of a punk rock bike shop than a race bike shop, but they do repairs dirt cheap. Anyway, I probably won't be able to afford a new bike any time in the near future (hence my current bike budget of "free"). I will see if the bike shops will do fittings even if you don't buy a bike, so I can have a ballpark of what to look for when I start looking for used racing bikes later this summer.

I'm not to worried about finding the tri-bike geometry or anything advanced right now, I'm just looking for something a little speedier than my hybrid. I will probably not even use clip on shoes!

2007-04-09 6:23 PM

I bought my bike from ebay...and it does not fit me well at all! But for the price, and considering I didnt really have the budget either, this one will have to do! Maybe in my future...

I have thought about early mornings for my work outs, but my neighborhood really isnt the best for an early morning run by myself...I do have a friend who is willing to do early mornings, but then I would have to meet her, then go back to my house for my son and get him where he needs to go! So it really is a time eater, not a time saver...maybe summer will be better!
oh the trials and tribulations of finding enough time in one day!
2007-04-09 6:32 PM
in reply to: #754498

User image

Champion
Gold member

All this talk about early morning workouts and you have almost got me talked into them!  But then there is going to bed at 9pm....hmmm....I'm not sure how I feel about that!

Seriously, a few years ago I did get into an early morning routine.  If you can stick with it a month or two to build habit...it's soooo worth it.  After work you don't have to worry about the workout most of the time...or the rat race in the gym.  Now I don't have the discipline yet to go to bed early, but I would love to get back into that routine when it gets a little warmer here.

Good luck to you that are trying it.

2007-04-10 10:05 AM
in reply to: #754472

New user
Willard/Springfield, MO
If they offer the service, most bike shops will do a fitting for you and you don't have to buy your bike from them. Their angle is that if they fit you, the chances are better that you will buy from them. Of course, if you go with the purpose in mind that you're going to get fit AND buy a bike from that bike shop that day, chances are they'll throw in the bike fit for free. And yeah, go to a road bike shop for that — not a mountain bike shop.

Yeah, without getting fit for a bike, lots of times you really don't know what you're getting into when you buy a bike (especially online). So, as long as you have a bike you can use for now, stick with it, but get bike fit, know exactly what you would like to buy, save your money and then put a "watch" on Ebay for bikes that match your description. That's how I got my bike — but I had to "pass" on quite a few before the price was what I could afford...however, if you're not in a rush, then time is on your side and a good deal will show up...though always be cautious about deals "too good to be true."

As far as early morning running goes, Amy, see if your friend could meet you at a place that would mean you both only travel about halfway...and you don't have to do it EVERY day, maybe just plan one weekday or maybe one weekday and Saturday morning for an early morning run...run at your regular time other days. Although it may not seem to "save" time (because you're driving), two things happen with an early morning workout that you're meeting someone to do: 1) You do it — because the other person is depending on you to get your behind out of bed; 2) As Ron said, you're done for the day OR you can add another workout in later in the day without taking additional time.

Oh, Ron — the 9 p.m. bedtime...you may be unable to force yourself to go to bed that early before a 4 a.m. run, but trust me, that night, you'll be looking for your bed by 9 p.m.

Good luck on your training, everyone!

2007-04-12 12:48 PM

New user
Willard/Springfield, MO
Well, although it's not a triathlon, a running partner of mine has about convinced me to go ahead and do the Oklahoma City marathon on April 29. My miles aren't where they should be to attempt a full marathon, but I'm not shooting for any landspeed records and, if I go, I'll definitely use the Galloway method (run a mile, walk a minute) from mile 1 on to "cheat" my lack of conditioning — I did 17 miles this past Friday...be doing 20 this Saturday. But with the performance pressure off, this could be a lot of fun! Anyone else thinking about doing one of the events at OKC? I think they have everything from a 5K to a half marathon as well as a marathon relay.

Well, hope the weather has been nicer where you are than it has been here the last week or so!

Dan

2007-04-12 1:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, USA
Looking forward to some nice weather, maybe Sunday, but probably Monday.

I'm planning on some 5k races and a 10k at the end of the season, but I'm holding off on the 1/2 or full mary's until next year.

Good luck to you though, looks like you're getting some good mileage in.
2007-04-17 11:22 PM

Hi all!
Hope everyone is doing well...I had a great time while I was out of town for a couple of days...Kind of "too good" of a time if you catch my drift! Getting back to running on Saturday kind of hurt...but I feel good again...Phew!
I have a 10k this sunday that I'm looking forward to, low key, no hills...figure it will be great experience.
2007-04-18 8:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, USA
I too have a race this weekend. Just a little 5K in Omaha. First race ever!!
2007-04-18 8:51 AM

New user
Willard/Springfield, MO
First race ever?!? Very cool — you'll love the experience IF you keep one thing in mind — take the first mile slow. Why? Because as it is your first race, you'll be pumped. There will be a lot of pre-race jitters (I mean, all the runners, the excitement, the anticipation)...all that means is that your body is going to be pumping adrenaline like crazy by the time the gun (or horn or whatever they use for the start) sounds. So, take that first mile easy because when you look at your watch, chances are that you didn't take it as "easy" as you thought you were. It's VERY easy to get caught up in the excitement of the race and the pace of others around you — blowing through your first mile in some unexpectedly fast pace...unfortunately, about 1.1 miles into the race, the adrenaline runs dry and you have two miles of agony left. So, here's my theory on the 5K: First mile: easy (but actually it ends up being close to or faster than pace); second mile: race pace; third mile: push it through (maintain form and head for that finish line). Trust me, finishing strong is much more rewarding mentally than blowing your race in the first mile and then struggling (in pain) to the finish line — so don't get sucked up in that initial starting surge!

OH, ONE MORE VERY IMPORTANT TIP: Give yourself time to warm up and stretch, but then hit the port-o-potty about 15 or so minutes before race time (depending on the size of the race and number of bathrooms available, this time could vary). You don't want to be standing in line to use the can when the gun sounds (and you sure don't want to be at mile 1.5 and suddenly have "intestinal" issues). Don't make the mistake and think you don't need to "go." Something about the adrenaline and nervous anticipation of the event does some unique things to your digestive tract, so don't chance it.

Good luck on the 5K — let us know how it goes!

P.S. Oh, I did my 20-mile run this past weekend. Great going out, but on the way back, we turned into the wind and THEN it started this icy rain thing. Our legs went numb and then the muscles (hams and calves) started barking big time. We finished in 3:05, but we were feeling it! Oh, is anyone doing the Detroit Free Press Marathon (or one of the races associated with it) this fall?
2007-04-18 11:10 AM
in reply to: #758922

User image

Champion
Gold member

Good luck amyinsr and VeganMan in those 10 and 5k's this weekend!

-VeganMan, hope you enjoy your first race...excellent tips from Dan, I would re-iterate the 'starting surge' tip...it is emotional and you will want to gun it, but hold back to release the throttle a little later.

2007-04-18 12:22 PM

New user
I am hopefully also doing a 5K this weekend. It's not my first race, but it should be the first time I can actually RUN the entire race!

And here's a picture of the bike I'm borrowing for the triathlon:

My Road Bike
2007-04-18 12:36 PM

Good luck to everyone!
I cant wait to hear how everyone's races went!
2007-04-20 8:12 PM

New user
Well, I did not make it to the 5K last weekend. But I did just do my first ever "brick" training, and oh my god. I don't think I'm going to be able to walk tomorrow lol. The calf cramping was worse than I thought it would be, and my legs felt like lead. But I handled it much better than I thought I was going to. I just kept going and did a whole 10 minutes of running without stopping, so I am pretty proud of that! This definitely needs to be a part of my weekly training, though. I wish I had started it earlier, but I was pretty scared of it.

How did everyone's races go?

Edited by quaskye 2007-04-20 8:13 PM
2007-04-22 1:50 PM

Hi All!
OMG...I had the best race ever!
I was a bit nervous yesterday, it was raining like mad, and I wasnt to sure that I wanted to run if it was still raining...but I woke up to beautiful blue sky...had a great night sleep...
I didnt do my best pre-race eating either, but felt good when I woke up
My goal was to finish the 10k in 60 min...I had my hrm on, but did not look at it purposly after the race started, because I really didnt want to see how close to LTH I was running...
WEnt over I think 3 times and my watch started beeping at me, so I just slowed it down some...I felt great the whole race! Never felt like I was going to burn out...yippee...and I finished the race at 55:20! Unbelievable for me! I was very excited...others may say that is not a good time..but for me! my first 10k and I beat my own personal goal! I'm floating around on cloud nine!
I couldnt wait to share it with all of you! You all are great!
2007-04-23 10:52 AM

New user
Willard/Springfield, MO
Congratulations AMY!!

WAY TO GO!! Beating (crushing) your goal has got to feel great...and it opens your eyes up to "possibilities" that you may not have considered before. Very cool.

Of course, don't make the mistake some runners make — thinking that you need to set a PR every time you run or even get close to the same PR time. You mentioned that this was a fairly flat course (earlier) and you had a beautiful day to run. Well, each course has different challenges and nature can always play a hand (heat, cold, wind, rain). So, treat each event as a different race — go into them to do your best, but understand that some 10ks (or whatever distances) are tougher than others.

However, I've got this feeling that you're going to see continued improvement as you train — so keep up the good work!!

2007-04-26 12:03 AM

I would really love to hear how everyone is doing!
2007-04-26 2:26 AM

New user
I haven't been updating my logs much recently, but I have mostly been keeping up with the training schedule. It's been rough this past couple of weeks. The next two weeks are final exams (and graduation!!). I am hoping the training will help keep me sane

I have reached the point where I think that I could make it through the race tomorrow if I had to. So now I have a month to get my times where I want them. I can do the individual parts at a little faster than the pace I want, but I have no idea what will happen when I string them all together!

I'm really looking forward to having more time to train during the summer. I'm going to look for another tri to do in August.
2007-04-26 10:05 AM

New user
Willard/Springfield, MO
Hey all,

Well, I have had a bad week of training — my knee started retaining a bit of fluid so I had to cut back on running and biking, waiting for the tightness to subside...not great timing with the marathon this Sunday, but better now (during the taper week) than earlier (during the heavier training) or on Sunday!

Anyway, I'll be riding tonight easy to test things out and then do a short run tomorrow. We'll see how things go on Sunday. I'm guessing it's going to be an adventure!

Well, keep up the hard work — good luck with finals for those of you in school. Keep us all posted on how things are going!

Take care!

Dan
2007-04-26 10:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, USA
Participated in my first race ever after 2.5months of training last weekend in Omaha. Finish 4 of 35 in the 5k, 23:17 was the time (about 7.5min/mi). It was a nice sunny day, except it was a regular Nebraska windy day, I think the sustained winds were about 25mph with some gusts getting into the high 30's....kind of took it out of me, I wanted to finish <20min, but this is not bad for my first race. Looking forwar to the next race (a dual at Heritage Park, Olathe) in May!!
2007-04-26 7:35 PM

New user
Willard/Springfield, MO
Awesome run, Veganman! Keep up the good work!

2007-04-26 11:38 PM
in reply to: #771836

User image

Champion
Gold member

Awesome race amyinsr!  5 minutes under your goal is great.  You executed well! 

quaskye, you're not going to lose a lot of time in each sport on race day.  Maybe on the swim if you don't have a lot of OWS experience, but the bike and run, if your training was similar to the course, should be close to individual times.  A lot of it is due to the the 'race day' adrenalin giving you the extra go.  Happy graduation!

Dan, hope the marathon goes well despite the recent knee issues...first time or has that happened before?

Nice first race finish Veganman...your pace is very enviable!  Sounds like the winds they had for the bike at IMAZ week or so ago.

Amy asked how we have been doing lately, here's my update:
I have been going through one of my demotivated periods...coincidentally peaking after watching live coverage of IMAZ...lot's of BT'ers did that one.  I definitely have some envy in being able to train those distances...having the time really as that is a long-term goal of mine.  So that kinda downed me for a week or two...'when am I ever going to have the time to train for more than 30minutes at a time?'  It will get better, especially when both of our little kids are in school.  I shouldn't whine.

This week has been much better.  If anything I'm focusing on consistency, not distance...and I did a good job this week on that front.  I will try to increase distance as I can...nor hurry.  Worked on running cadence too for the first time...I started out at 70rpm with my normal run and I am going to work on getting it to 90.  It should help with the mile tendinitis I usually get once I get to a 45-60minute run.

How's everyone else?

2007-04-30 1:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, USA
It has really been a great last 3-4 weeks of training for me, including my first race.
The weather is finally cooperating a little and I'm able to get on the bike.
This week is my last week of Base 3, as next week is supposed to be my back it off week before Build 1....but I'm feeling great and I attribute that to my Yoga and consistent swimming, keeping me loose and injury free.
I might just push on thru with another regular Base 3 week next week and not back off, but that will have to wait until the end of the week. Build 1 is less time but more intensity. I should have a day off on Saturday - I see substaintal gains after one day of rest.
My first Dual is only 21 days away now and I'm getting so excited for it. Took a long bike ride down to the race site on Saturday. This is not an 'A' race, but I will certainly be excited for it.

Hope everyone else is doing great.
2007-04-30 1:37 PM

New user
Willard/Springfield, MO
What is the base 1, base 3 thing you're talking about? I'm curious...is that a training program found on this site somewhere?

Anyway, just an update. I completed the Oklahoma City marathon this weekend. It was a beautiful day...for sunbathing. Started out at 55 (not bad) but without a cloud in the sky and little wind, it was pretty warm by the finish. The race actually went better than I thought it would (considering my training)...however, nausea at mile 21 did me in. I do this for fun, so pushing myself until I puke just isn't what I'm in this for. Anyway, I had to walk quite a bit for the next four miles, but finished the last mile or so running. I crossed the line pretty much mid-pack — 4:39:30. But I was satisfied, if not happy with the performance. I have always had SOMETHING go wrong on marathons (I've done five now), so the nausea was a new one for me. Funny thing was, I felt VERY good all the way through Mile 17 or 18...thinking about how I could push the last few miles..., but then the nausea hit. Oh well, it was a good race and I finished. I would HIGHLY recommend this marathon — huge number of aid stations and volunteers and supporters throughout the race, great finish area food, nice medals (for all events), super-cool wicking marathon finisher's T-shirt, decent course (little hilly at the end)...loads of great people...and it was super affordable for a marathon!
See www.okcmarathon.com if you want to learn more about it.
2007-04-30 3:18 PM
in reply to: #781812

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, USA
RunDanRun - 2007-04-30 1:37 PM

What is the base 1, base 3 thing you're talking about? I'm curious...is that a training program found on this site somewhere?

That really sounds like a great time. I'm not in marathon shape and probably won't be this year, but by next year I really want to finish one. I've got a guy in my Master's swim who runs like crazy, he's in his 50's and loves it....I want that too.

As for my training plan, it is kind of a hybrid of one found on this site and the Trithatlete's Bible. You have 3 Base periods each last 4weeks, with the forth week a back off week. Next is two Build periods of 4 weeks each, again forth week backs off. Then a Peak period of two weeks followed by RACE WEEK!! I have it in an Excel spreadsheet if you want to look at it. I don't follow it to a tee, but gives me guidance.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Counselor's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 8