BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Counselor's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2007-04-30 3:35 PM
in reply to: #663877

Subject: RE: Counselor's Group - FULL
Vegan Man,
I would like to see the spread sheet! If you dont mind...
I'm always looking at changing up my schedule some...

Started softball now too...2 teams for sure, and probably a fill in for a 3rd...thinking about joining a "trail group" too! They will train for a 16 mile trail run out at the coast...I kind of think I might be taking on a little to much, but figure it will be good training if I do the rock-n-rill 1/2 in october!
So tell me if you think I'm crazy...
10k on the 12th,
tri on the june 2nd
10k 3rd week june
10k on 4th july
tri mid july
16 mile trail run end of july...
undecided for august yet...hmmm????

2007-04-30 3:58 PM
in reply to: #782135

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, USA
amyinsr - 2007-04-30 3:35 PM

So tell me if you think I'm crazy...
10k on the 12th,
tri on the june 2nd
10k 3rd week june
10k on 4th july
tri mid july
16 mile trail run end of july...
undecided for august yet...hmmm????

I would say you are crazy without listing a bunch of races. I think it's ok, I'm doing something similar, but I'm not going to be "pushing" in some events unless they are "A" races.

If the file didn't load, let me know and I'll re-try or PM it to you

Edited by VeganMan 2007-04-30 4:00 PM
2007-04-30 4:09 PM

New user
Willard/Springfield, MO
What races are you just wanting to do and what races are you wanting to peak for? In other words, pick the race that you want to really nail (give it all it), but don't kill yourself to do the others...train for the race you want and just add the other races in as part of your training...otherwise you end up doing okay at most of your races and possibly "bonking" at the race you REALLY wanted. Of course, if you really don't have a specific race your training for, then just make sure that you train with those race dates in mind (don't go out and do a hard work out on the Friday before the race or the Sunday after the race, assuming a Saturday race date).

Well, just some thoughts. Good luck no matter how you approach it.
2007-04-30 4:13 PM

New user
Willard/Springfield, MO
Veganman,

Where would I look to find that file? I'd be interested in checking it out! Thanks!
2007-04-30 4:15 PM

Thanks for the tips Dan,

Vegan man, the file did not come over...you could email it to me at [email protected]
that way it would be sure to come over.

The tri (s) are my main goal right now...and the 10k I"m looking at as just good training!
so I think I'm ok...
2007-05-01 8:38 AM
in reply to: #782228

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, USA
Hope this works

---- Nope the file is too big, I'll have to email it to you.

Ryan

Edited by VeganMan 2007-05-01 8:57 AM

2007-05-01 1:14 PM

Got the schedule! Thanks
I looked at it pretty quickly, consideriing I'm at work, but you might have to explain it to me...
I'll take a closer look and see if I can decypher...
thanks again!
Amy
2007-05-01 1:28 PM
in reply to: #783693

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, USA
amyinsr - 2007-05-01 1:14 PM

Got the schedule! Thanks
I looked at it pretty quickly, consideriing I'm at work, but you might have to explain it to me...
I'll take a closer look and see if I can decypher...
thanks again!
Amy

The 'main' tab is "ATP '07" giving you the week, starting on Mondays, the period you're in, the # of hours expected to train, as well as how those hours allocated to the type of training to be done. For example, this week is Apr 30. This corresponds to Base 3, 15 hr, working endurance, force, speed and muscular endurance (some of these overlap).

The I go to the Base 3 tab and fill in what I'll be doing for specific days of the week (the file I sent you doesn't have anything in Base 3, so look at Base 2 for an example).

So in the Base 2 tab you can see Friday is a Run of High Duratioin and Medium Intensity, specifically working on E3 = an endurance exercise, M1 = a muscular endurance exercise, S1 = speed, F1 = force (I do not have explainations handy for every exercise but as an example M1 might be running in zone 3 for a total of 20min and S1 could be running on the balls of your feet downhill and F1 is running up hill for 8 seconds at Z5a).

Like I said, it's more of a guide than what actually gets done, but once Build 1 starts I'll follow it closer. Base is more of an endurance building stage, where Build focuses more on muscular/anerobic endurance.
2007-05-03 2:38 PM

Ok, So I am signed up for a race (Vineman showdown at sundown) that I know other Bt'ers are signed up for...how do I say that I am signed up too?

I also joined yet another training group...this one is for the Salt Point 26k train run race that is at the end of July! Gives me 12 weeks to prepare!

I wish they had more swim. run type races...I really like the tri 's but am finding it really hard to get into the biking part...any tips?

Thanks
Amy
2007-05-03 2:39 PM

Hey Ryan...where did your pic go?
2007-05-03 2:42 PM
in reply to: #787587

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, USA
It still shows up for me?!?! I don't know, I'll check it out.

2007-05-03 2:45 PM
in reply to: #787598

oh, its probably on my end then!
Something weird going on with my 'puter! Nothing new...
2007-05-03 2:47 PM
in reply to: #787583

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, USA
Excellent!! 12 weeks for a Mary would be a challenge for me. To "add a race" just click on races. It looks like some kind of megaphone in your blog area, next to your control panel stuff.

My wife doesn't like the bike either, so she just does swims and runs. I love the bike now, being outside made all the difference. I would try to find someone willing to help you out if possible.

What did you think of the workout spreadsheet?

Edited by VeganMan 2007-05-03 2:49 PM
2007-05-03 2:56 PM

The 26k is more like 16 miles (still long enough!) I dont think the distance will be the issue, except I'm more of a street runner and dont have a lot of hill experience. We'll see...
I have been really trying to get "friends" to go out with me on the bike, and I think that will happen pretty soon, coordinating schedules can be a problem!
I honestly havent had time to look at the schedule real close...I am waiting for the weekend when I can really take a close look!
I'll let you know.
Amy
2007-05-03 4:21 PM

New user
Willard/Springfield, MO
Hey Amy,

If you're running "off road," depending on the weather conditions, you may want to look into getting a pair of off road running shoes. I've done some trail running around here, and specialty shoes may not make a big difference in dry conditions, but if it's wet (or even damp), there could be some traction issues...and 16 miles is already a LONG way for a trail run...I'd for sure get some practice on trails before the race as there are a number of issues that you'll have to deal with on a trail that you don't have to deal with on the road...for example, tripping/falling, insects in mass, snakes, loose footing, ticks, stiff grasses cutting your legs, etc. And be sure to check to see if the trail race goes across any creeks/streams, you'll want to Bodyglide your feet good, if so. Good luck! It's a tough event, but it'll be a great one to remember!
2007-05-12 9:35 PM

Hi all!
Did my second 10k today! Was a huge race...something like 8000 people...its the local fundraiser for the year...
Anyway was a bit more of a hilly course than the last race so I went in thinking I'd do it in about an hour...I blew my first race time away! I did this race in 53:30 or something close to that...the official time hasnt been posted yet, so I'm going off of memory...that is something like a 8.38 mile! I'm stoked!
I have to tell you I really like running... a lot!

Also swam my first 1500 non stop! Pretty happy with myself for that one

Just 3 weeks befor the tri so I am starting to get excited about that too...

Looking into trail shoes for now, I am about to need new running shoes and am not sure if I want two pairs, althought the trail shoes do have nicer grip...hmmm

Well hope you all are training great!

2007-05-14 9:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, USA
Great to hear of you success Amy!! I just got new shoes too, Mizuno Inspires.
Did my first OWS yesterday, don't know exact distance but over 1000yrds.
First Tri (sprint) is this weekend and getting very excited!
2007-05-14 10:49 AM

Ryan,
I cant wait to hear about your tri! I have 3 weeks before mine...and am actually pretty nervous!
So your experience will be greatly appreciated!
2007-05-14 11:20 AM

New user
Willard/Springfield, MO
Wow. Reading your entries is pretty exciting. Work has been a killer lately, and all my running, biking and lifting times have dropped dramatically...and I haven't even looked at a pool (sigh). Well, I know at the end of July I want to be ready for my first tri...called the Concreteman. I THINK it's a 600m OWS, 24-mile bike and 5-mile run...I'm leaning towards just "doing it" and then maybe trying to race one later in the year. We'll see.

I did a 5K race this weekend (two weeks after my marathon) and I really didn't have time to train much for it (recovery the week following the marathon and just a really heavy workload right now). However, I took my own advice...took the first mile slow (to see how my legs were feeling...didn't want to pull a hamstring or anything). Then as the first mile went by and I felt pretty good, I stepped it up a little and then the third mile, I would say I worked that pretty good...22:23 finish, which was all right considering things.

Well, I'm jealous of you two, VeganMan and Amy. Hopefully I can work things out with my training and my work to get back on track. Best of luck to both of you — and remember to taper for the big day! : )

Dan
2007-05-14 11:31 AM

New user
I'm so jealous of everyone doing races! Finals have dramatically cut into my training schedule as well

But I did my second Brick training yesterday and it went much better than the first! a 45 minute ride, then a 20 minute run (first time could barely do a 10 minute run). And I'm not in toooooo much pain today. Going to hit the pool this afternoon.

I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do after the tri, because I need to start training long distance cycling for my bike tour. But I don't want to give up running or swimming! I really want to do another sprint in early august and then train for an olympic distance this winter

I've got a bug to do a half ironman in the next couple years
2007-05-14 3:43 PM
in reply to: #798395

User image

Champion
Gold member

That is too cool Amy.  Although I can't even imagine 8000 people.  I thought St Anthony's was huge with around 4,000.

Congrats on that first 1500 non-stop.  THAT is a big accomplishment mentally and physically.

On trail shoes in the snow, see this review...it could work:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1080

2007-05-22 11:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, USA
Hey everyone. Thought I'd let you know I finished my first sprint triathlon last Sunday. You can check out the race details under my log.
2007-05-22 12:04 PM
in reply to: #811854

HOw cool is that!
Tell me about it all! What were your feelings? How many people...transistions? How'd you feel etc...I want details!
Your time was great too...what an inpiration...
2007-05-22 12:23 PM
in reply to: #811884

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, USA
amyinsr - 2007-05-22 12:04 PM

HOw cool is that!
Tell me about it all! What were your feelings? How many people...transistions? How'd you feel etc...I want details!
Your time was great too...what an inpiration...

I really tried to stay calm from the night before to the start. It was really an exercise in knowing yourself or getting to know yourself as far as preparation goes. By that I mean, I knew I had trained well enough to finish, so that was never in question. I even had a goal of 1hr 20m, deducted from some brick workouts.
I made a list of stuff to bring a couple days before and laid it all out on the spare bed the night before. Setup my transition area on a towel just how it would be on race day. Had some tea and was able to fall asleep pretty fast, got 7hrs.
To keep my mind off getting anxious I had a very structured morning, we arrived about 1.75hr prior to start time.
1. Get transition area setup
2. Get body marked
3. Find a few friends (I know some people that were racing and my wife was with me)
4. Familiarize myself with the transition area enter/exit points.
5. Warm up...about 50min prior to race start
a. 10min run, stretch, fluids, go over transition
b. 15min bike, stretch, fluids, go over transition
c. 5min swim, pee in pond, (this was about 10min prior to my wave start and just before I got in the water, I watched the first wave start)
6. Wading start in the pond...I just felt confident and very calm.

There were 237 in the men's tri event. 500 total racers between men/women, dual/tri.
I had a good transition area close to the bike exit.

I had no idea what my time was, because my HRM got kicked and stopped on the swim. I just kept thinking to myself, "You're really doing this, you're really going to finish!!" I passed a lot of people on the bike and only got passed by maybe 6 people on the bike, so I figured I was doing fairly well. Mile 2 on the run was uphill, into a slight wind...it was kind of a struggle compared to the rest of the race so I just took shorter strides and didn't push too much, because I didn't want to bonk coming across the dam into the finish area. So, Mile 3 is the turn around and it just got quiet (the light breeze not in my face any more) and I felt great. The rest of the race was downhill so I was just kicking like crazy, I mean I was flying, my last mile was under 6min. Coming across the dam I was almost sprinting...and I finished with a big smile on my face!!

You should have never asked!!
2007-05-22 12:33 PM

Wow!
I want that experience! I can only hope for 1/2 of your wonderful experiecne...

but wait! I want more details about the swim! How was that? did you feel like your were going to get drowned? Did you have enough space??? How many times were you kicked or hit???

The bike part, was everyone pretty separtaed by that time?

Wow...I feel your excitement!

Have you signed up for your next tri?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Counselor's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 8