Orlando, Florida
United States
Buttar Inc.
Total Time = 2h 24m 27s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5 or so, Jeff and I got ready and headed to "our" 7-11 on the corner of Palm and LBV Drive. Jeff wasn't quite sure how to get there, and while we were at 7-11 (which is 45 minutes away from the race) we saw a girl wearing the race shirt. We asked if we could follow them, and off we went. LONG drive to the race. THEN....we get to the race site and it is in a wilderness park. The parking volunteer asked us to park on the grass along the road, and Jeff pulled over and promptly got stuck in the ditch. It was a big ditch with about 3-4 feet of water in it, but luckily he was only stuck enough to not be able to get out. No water got into the car. I had to climb out the driver's side, and then we walked the 5,000 miles to the race start. Only had a few minutes to get our packet and go potty before the race started.
Run
  • 2h 24m 27s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

The weather was absolutely perfect for my goal, which was to stay in Zone 1 the entire race. IOW, this was just one of those catered training days. I was happy that my HR and speed stayed consistent and even till about 9.5 miles in. Mile 9, I thought, was slower than the rest, so I decided to bump it up to Z2. Looking back on my data from nike+, though, it appears that I was still running pretty consistent then. Oh well.
The course was not very exciting, but it still beats running on roads.
I had some bad mental thoughts in the beginning. I hate the company I keep when I am running super slow. I don't like being BOP. I don't like getting excited when I finally pass an old guy in a neck brace at 10 miles!!!! Or realizing that I am the only person under 60 going this slow in the whole damn race!! I fought my demons for the first few miles, then felt better as I got warmed up and went on autopilot.
Saw Jeff lots of times, which is always great. he is my best racing buddy. I love him! I was behind one lady for awhile that was wearing black cotton/spandex tights. She had nice legs, but I couldn't get over how big and flabby her ass looked in those tights! Eventually I passed her and didn't have to contemplate her butt anymore, but then I stopped to try to fix a blister problem ans she passed me. Had to contemplate the ass again for a mile or two while also discovering that when the sun shone on her, the tights became see-through.
I used my nike+ipod thingy for the first time in a race, but didn't want to listen to music, so I just left it on in my pocket.
Didn't eat/drink enough. 2 cups water, one cup gatorade, 2 small pretzels. That's all.

Post race
Warm down:

FOund the race director, told him I needed a tow. This guy was there with a Suburban and had already pulled out the other 2 cars that got stuck, so he drove me back to the car and we got it out of the ditch. Then I ate the free breakfast...eggs, pancakes and biscuits, yum!! Went back to the car and slept for 30 minutes, then watched Jeff finish.
Jeff dropped me off at the hotel, and then I went to the outlet mall and did some shopping. Drove back to Tampa after that.

Event comments:

Racing with Jeff is always fun. :)

Last updated: 2007-01-10 12:00 AM
Running
02:24:27 | 13.1 miles | 11m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Zone 1 HR until mile 9.5, then Z2 HR for 2 miles, then Z3 HR till end.
Course: Flat, wide trails. Mostly open areas like wetlands and stuff, not much heavily wooded area. The trails were not at all technical (bummer) and there was no single track (bummer again).
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-01-25 3:15 PM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Subject: Orlando Extreme Half Marathon

2007-01-25 4:15 PM
in reply to: #668114

User image

Master
Chelmsford, Massachusetts
Subject: RE: Orlando Extreme Half Marathon

I LOVE YOU SHMOOPIE!!!  I love seeing you out on the course.  It makes it so much easier to do a race when I can look forward to seeing my BEST BT PEEP out there making me feel better when I'm slowin' down.

Way to resist the temptation to race all out, you'll get there, I promise...just keep up with it and you'll leave the BOP behind in no time!! HUGS!!!

2007-01-26 7:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Allen

I find that @$$-contemplation relaxes me.

Great job!

Edited by jcagg90 2007-01-26 7:09 PM
2007-01-26 9:31 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
hey teh BOP is not that bad!!!  Its where I live
2007-01-26 9:44 PM

User image

Master
Keller Tx

Catered training day?  I like it.

Great run Ms. Delight!

2007-01-26 11:44 PM

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio

The things men think about.  It never ceases to amaze me.

Nice training run!

2007-01-28 8:08 AM

User image

Expert
McKinney, TX

don't worry, Honey, you wouldn't be alone with the 60 y/o's if you came out here.  I'd probably have PawPaw with a walker zooming past me!  Great race!

2007-01-30 2:10 AM

, Alabama

Great job with the willpower holding back like that when you need to!  Especially with that VIEW!!! 

Sharon

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Orlando Extreme Half Marathon Rss Feed