General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Should I retire my helmet? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-08-16 2:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kennesaw, GA
Subject: Should I retire my helmet?
Ive had my bike helmet for over 10 years. It has a few little nicks in it, but nothing too major. I am racing this weekend and wanted to know if it would be acceptable to the race officials. So I took my helmet into the LBS during lunch to have them look at it and tell me if it was good or not.
I first stopped at an employee at the door who was fixing a display. He glances at the helmet without stopping his task and says. Ive never competed but theyll make you have a different helmet go buy you a new one. I would have been better off with a Wal-mart associates help. I see another employee there who has been riding for 20+ years and has been helpful in the past. I tell him Im competing in a triathlon and would like to see if my helmet would be approved. He turns immediately to some task with a harrumph and says A triathlon! They dont care as long as your helmet isnt split in two. You would of thought I called his bike a Huffy the way he acted. I attribute their attitude to cyclist elitism towards triathletes. I am very disappointed in my little bike shop. Ive been a good little customer of theirs, but they may have lost my business after todays experience.
I am still stuck with my question about my helmet. It is older but it has a SNELL label inside. The dings are more from careless tosses of the helmet into the back of my truck and incidental nicks that are just a result of usage. The biggest nick in the shell is about the size of two bbs and the biggest dent in the foam looks like it is scratched hard with a thumbnail. Has anyone had their helmet turned away or know what will disqualify my helmet.
Just because I like buying all my gadgets Ill probably get a new helmet anyway, but because of the attitude my poor little helmet got from the LBS today I feel arrogant and proud and want to race with my faithful old friend.

2004-08-16 2:44 PM
in reply to: #48548

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: Should I retire my helmet?
USAT Rules

5.9 Helmets.

(a) Type of Helmet. All participants shall wear a protective head cover, undamaged and unaltered, which meets or exceeds the safety standards of the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). Helmets manufactured prior to March 10, 1999 must meet or exceed the safety standards of (i) the American National Standard Institute (ANSI Z-90.4), (ii) The Snell Memorial Foundation (Protective Headgear for Bicycle Users), or (iii) ASTM F-1446 or F-1447, and which is clearly labeled by the manufacturer as satisfying such standards. Removal of helmet cover, if required for that helmet to meet such safety standards, shall constitute an impermissible alteration in violation of this Section 5.9(a). Any violation of this Section 5.9(a) shall result in disqualification.

Don't know if this helps, but if your helmet says that it meets or exceeds the safety standards of The Snell Memorial Foundation, then you're OK.

2004-08-16 2:46 PM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
First off, find a decent bike shop and dump these jerks. Secondly, your helmet is probably still in good shape but after 10 years of service maybe it does deserve to be retired. Maybe you can ask the jerks if they can recommend a decent bike shop where you can buy a new helmet!
2004-08-16 3:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
PR

tplauche,

That's why I hate so much the Lance's-trek-wheel-suckers-semi-elite-armstrong wanna be...  Their elite'ness in their minds are soo pathetic.

Don't worry go to another LBS, and problem solved.

About the helmet, If you feel safe in it, you are probably good to go.  Or you can get a "decent" helmet for $40-$30 or less.

Good luck...!

2004-08-16 3:27 PM

User image

Regular
I was told by my brother, my sister, my bike guys, and just about every other person I know that a helmet should be replaced every 3-5 years, and if there is a nick or anything else it should be replaced immediately. If you've crashed once it should be replaced. If it sits in the sun often, or is in an area with lighting it should also be watched closely.

The material that your helmet is made out of actually looses the compactness over time. When you first get the helmet you'll notice that it is made up of tiny interlocked hectagons (spelling). As the helmet get's older they space apart and the helmet is not as effective.

I've raced a bit and they usually don't really examine your helmet, they make sure it is approved _ like Bell or one of the top brands but that is it.

But love your noggin and buy a new helmet. I bought my second helmut this year. Mine was 5 years old and needed to be replaced. I went out bought a new nice $100 helmet and crashed the very next day - which prompted me to buy yet another helmet.
2004-08-16 3:29 PM

User image

Expert
MD
Earlier this season I was in a similar situation, my 10+ year old helmet DID pass inspection, but I decided to purchase a new one. Today's helmets have better materials, ventilation, straps, and features (e.g. visors) that make them far more comfortable during training and racing. I'd say go for it and buy a new one.

You should notify the owner of the LBS that treated you so poorly. Mention that you have been a repeat customer, faithfully buying from them instead of a multitude of on-line resources, and that you felt you were mis-treated. Include the date/time it happened in your message. Even if nothing is done and you receive no apology you have made it clearly known your reason for no longer bringing them your business. Possibly, if the owner is a decent business owner, the employees will be reprimanded and you might even get an apology.

I believe in supporting our LBS in our community, and I'm even willing to pay a little more $$ for the face to face services they provide. However, if you are treated rudely they should be taken to task. If nothing is done about the situation, find another or go online. My 2 cents.

2004-08-16 3:38 PM

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga
Tom,

Which bike shop is it you're referring to?
2004-08-16 3:48 PM
in reply to: #48598

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kennesaw, GA
Motivated - 2004-08-16 3:38 PM

Tom,

Which bike shop is it you're referring to?

Free-Flight Bicycles (the one on hwy 5 in Woodstock)
2004-08-16 4:07 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by domlazz 2004-08-16 4:16 PM
2004-08-16 4:12 PM

Master
Marietta, Ga
Tom,

That's wild that they'd look down their nose at you being a triathlete. They sell Trek Tri-bikes in that shop! I know its a longer drive, but I would highly recommend you try getting over to All3Sports. That is a heavenly place.

Also, try this link: http://www.trisports.com/20louisgarbi.html

They are having a close-out on the helmets. You'll probably need to have it shipped 2 day air to get it in time for the race. There's also an online coupon you can use to further reduce the price (see the BT front page).
2004-08-16 4:17 PM

Champion
Two seat rocket plane

After ten years, maybe it's time. Helmets have gotten much better, they are better engineered, more ventelated(sp) and cheaper for what you get. If you have any doubts about the lid, replace it. Use it as a spare, whatever. If you are trying to be frugal, then the helmet is probably "safe",.

I say this as I just replaced a helmet that was 4 years old and I was very impressed with what I got for my money. For $60, I got a better helmet than my old $80 (at the time) helmet

2004-08-16 7:27 PM

Elite
Racine, WI
I agree with everyone else, after 10 years the technology has certainly improved. But no way in h**l would I buy at that shop....

Incidentally, I had someone tell me once that helmets should be replaced ANNUALLY. I checked with the very experienced folks in my bike club, and they stated the 3-5 years or a crash "rule".

edit: I would definetly (sp?) let the owner of the LBS why you are taking your business elsewhere, if that's what you choose to do. I'm a firm believer in getting good service or going elsewhere...but then again, I won't go into a convenience store that has refused to let me use thier bathroom, either. I could be a little nuts on the subject!

Edited by CindyK 2004-08-16 7:28 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Should I retire my helmet? Rss Feed