General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » The Road to 2015 Begins Here. Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-01-25 5:00 PM

New user

Subject: The Road to 2015 Begins Here.
Don't call it a resolution (or a comeback, for that matter): on Jan. 1, 2007, I officially began my training for the Ironman. My sights are fixed on the 2015 event in Hawaii. Until then, I will be tracking my progress (the running will be interesting at the very least); competing in smaller, more reasonable events; trying to quit and getting back on track; and learning how to get from moderate shape to Ironman. I also wanted to introduce myself to the BT community and make some tri-friends!

Stay tuned: it is bound to be an exciting time.

Some background:
In July 2005, I made a decision: in 10 years I will compete in the Ironman triathlon in Kona, Hawaii. That's THE Ironman. Distances: 2.4-mile swim, 112-mile bike, 26.2-mile run.

I've been training moderately since then — running most days, swimming at least twice a week, riding my bike in nice weather. But with the new year (and nearly two years gone!), I'm taking it up a few notches. Plus my 27th birthday is quickly approaching and I need a reason to feel more youthful than ever. (My brother pointed out the other day that I will now be "officially in my late twenties." Thirty-year-old bastard.)

Swimming is my strength — I was a pretty good competitive swimmer from the time I was 6 until I was 18. Don't ask what happened after that. Although I was out of the water for over six years, I think I am a better swimmer mechanically now (but I will never get that youthful speed back). Perhaps my mind works better now too. Running, on the other hand, is my weakness. The last time I found running easy was 1989, when I played for the youth boys' league baseball team in Euclid, Ohio. Then puberty hit. And while I've never been a serious biker, I take some pretty good rides, and am looking into riding my bike to work on decent days. Unfortunately, I grew up riding my bike on the sidewalk, so I'm still learning that whole "riding on the street" thing everyone talks about.

So, I'm going to keep track of my workouts, questions, answers, and useful pointers for future Ironwomen and men. And then if I make it, you can too! Please keep in touch and visit my blog Iron G in 2015.

2007-01-25 5:12 PM
in reply to: #668279

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Subject: RE: The Road to 2015 Begins Here.
You are mentioning Kona as the goal and not just any Ironman race?

To do Kona you either have to win a spot being top 3 in your A/G at an IM and some IM 70.3 races or get lucky through the lottery. Not to make to discourage your IM dream but to inform you that you will either have to be fast, lucky, or pick another IM race.

Plenty of other races out there if you do not get in so you will get to the your 2.4 mile swim, 112 miles bike and 26.2 mile run in 2015.

Welcome to our little world and we will all be here to help you along. Ask anything and we would gladly answer. I am so pleased helpful and encouraging everyone is.
2007-01-25 5:49 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

Welcome.  You can do it, it will take work but you can do it.  To qualify you will need to be among the top 10-15 in another Ironman event.  By that time, you will be in one of the most competitive age groups (35-39).  Build a solid base, develop speed and endurance and a mindset that will never give up, give in or give out.

2007-01-25 7:29 PM

Champion
No excuses!
Don't let anyone say you can't. Yeah there are qualifiying times and all that and you'll learn all that along the way but don't let anyone dash your dreams. That is what they are your dreams and no one can take them from you.

P.S. No one said it would be easy though
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » The Road to 2015 Begins Here. Rss Feed