Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2007-01-31 11:40 AM
in reply to: #674142

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Subject: RE: leapdog's group - OPEN
I have just the basic Polar HR monitor (B1?). All it has on it is HR, that's it. Like Michelle, I know what my zones are so I don't need any sort of alarm, or programming at all. I have little need for avg, but would take it, splits are a good option as well. I also agree with Michelle on the indiglo lighting - especially this time of year.

I think you can get a B1 for about $30.

The one thing that I will do when I buy my next monitor is to make sure the transmitter (strap) is uniquely coded. If you buy a lower end model like I have, the receiver (watch) will read other folks HR's if they are too close to you. I tend to bike indoors in a group, so without the unique coding, I can't get a good read of my HR unless I'm a certain distance away from others.

Come on, Michelle, do you really track your HR when in the pool? You're an animal!

2007-01-31 12:00 PM
in reply to: #669310

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
Don't walk out the door without it on - yes, swimming too - more curious then for really training at this point - I'm so winded after some of the higher intensity pool stuff - just wanted to compare to biking and running. In the pool my zones are more similar to the bike - can't get into some of the high hrt levels like I do for the run. It's that geeky side Still waiting for that pool to get easy... Just curious - my bike zones are quite a bit lower then run zones - do yours track the same way? My LT is very high for running - I just started biking last March - coming up on the 1st full season.
2007-01-31 12:24 PM
in reply to: #674236

User image

Master
, Minnesota
I wore my monitor on a long swim one day...HR was about 80bpm. Low end of z1 is 119 running. I too would be curious to see what my HR is when I'm doing 10 x 50 on the 55. Ouch!

Bike zones are 5 bpm lower than run zones as of VO2 tests last summer. I too just started biking (Oct 06) and am getting better as I get time in the saddle. I noticed that my HR rises about 5 bpm when I'm sitting up on my bike, vs in aero. I was vo2 tested in aero so I tend to stay there about 95% of the time. I'm looking forward to getting back outdoors.

2007-01-31 12:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbus, Ohio

Hope there is still room. I would like to join the group. I was in another group but never any feed back between people. Day between responses.

I consider myself still a beginner because there is still a lot to learn. I did 4 sprints and 1 duathlon last year but feel I can do a lot better.

Im 37 male in Columbus OHIO currently at 205 but would like to get down to 180 to 185 before the season starts. Married with a very understanding wife and two little girls, 4 and 2.

I've wanted to do a triathlon for years but never got around to it. Then last year I talked my neighbor into trying it and I did my first then couldn't wait till the next one once the sorenss left my body.

Right now I plan on doing 5 to 6 sprints and an early season duathlon. I would love to step up to the olympic distance but am worried of that long of a swim. Needless to say the swim is the weakest part. Something happens in the open water. I don't see a lot of improvement as I do with biking (spinning)and running. Feel stuck in the water with improving. So I have been doing more swimming and running for right now to improve these.

Would like some motivation to help get me in the gym an little more and with nutrition. I feel if I can lose some weight and eat heathier it will help me a great deal.

Not much of an IT person but do have 2 dogs and 3 tropical fish.

So lets start training.

Thanks, Patrick

2007-01-31 12:50 PM

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
OH -IO Welcome LOL - Love them Buckeye's - My 2nd Du - last year was the Columbus International - Fat Rabbit - GREAT RACE - love the 5 loop bike course (fast)! That would be a great Oly Tri - to move up to...

Jeff, can't wait to get outside too - did a 3 hour indoor trainer ride (in my family room with 4 other friends) watching tour footage and listening to 80's funk -(it's an over 40 crowd) We had a blast - great to have company!!

Your HRT are low- great work!! hoping my bike zones will improve over time! My zone 1 for bike are 120-130 for running 150-159 - I top out running @195 sooo LT 187 - efficency is improving, looking forward to testing this summer.

Food is - HUGE - improving my diet and fueling during long races - paid big by the end of season - lost a little weight - like Jeff, not a big issue for me - but lost about 7# not a lot but on a 5' tall frame it made an impact in races.

Jeff: Columbus has a great Marathon on the Fall also - I've done Twin Cities 2x it was my fav till I did Outer Banks - Last Year -

M
2007-01-31 12:50 PM
in reply to: #674275

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Welcome Patrick!

As stated before, there's no IT/Animal requirement for this group so you're good to go.

You'll get pretty much daily feedback from this group (at least from me) so post away!

Our sprint background is similar - I want to continue getting better, although our paths diverged a bit when I went on with the oly/HIM distances. Like you, I can't wait to get to the starting line this spring. There's just something about getting in a group and seeing how you measure up.

I've never done a DU, but it looks like Michelle would be a good resource for you to tap into for specifics on that.

Worried about the swim? I was trained in TI and highly recommend lessons (one on one or a group) if you've never had them. If you get your stroke really comfy in the pool, it'll translate to OW and serves to relieve alot of your stress. Of course, I do know people that are great pool swimmers, but still get the willies in the OW, but it's pretty rare.

Again, welcome to the group.

Jeff

2007-01-31 12:59 PM
in reply to: #674311

User image

Master
, Minnesota
I liked the buckeyes till they gagged in the national final game. Fast gators got 'em.

HR's": I'm not one to compare HR's as zones are about as diverse as we are. I can tell you this: If I were to get my HR above 160 for more than a minute (if that) I think it would explode. Run/bike zones are in my profile, but 2 is 130-139, 3 140-149, z4 is 150-153...above that I keel.

This group hasn't even touched on food/nutrition. I picked up on the Hammer line of products for use during my long days/events. I also use Hammer Recoverite after most any workout.

Day to day, I'm proud to say I'm a carnivore (venison, chix, fish). I try to stay away from the processed stuff as much as possible as the cals can add up fast. My latest couple of obsessions are almonds and sardines (not at once).

No fall mara for me this year with IMWI in sept. Perhaps another year. I really like TCM as I get to sleep in my own bed!

Hope everyone's day is going well.

Jeff

2007-01-31 1:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Russell, KS
Subject: RE: leapdog's group - FULL
Can a heart monitor without a chest strap work effectively?

I found these:
http://www.healthchecksystems.com/mio_compare.htm

I'd really like not to have to deal with a chest strap, but I have to wonder if they work as well.
2007-01-31 1:50 PM

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
Hi Heather:

Don't know on that one... The one that I have uses a strap, never tried one without it. Technoogies change so fast they maybe better then in the past - don't know for sure.

Jeff: I'm a GU Girl - tried Hammer and Carboom - they tend to have a slower release some people - like my training partner, like that better over long distances. I like the quick kick of GU. I always follow up workouts with a home made Protien shake - 1 Cup Skim Milk, I scoop Protein Power, mix fruit (fresh Banana's - Berries) Blend mmmgood!

M
2007-01-31 3:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbus, Ohio

Thanks for the welcome. I'm a pool swimmer that hyperventilates in the OW. Started a new swim program this week to help me increase my distance. http://www.personal.psu.edu/faculty/e/x/exk7/SwimWorkouts.html/ZeroTo1mile.html  Other people have suggested it. I can swim 1/2 mile now but would like to increase up to 1 mile for training purposes for more confidence in the OW.

I started to include other aspects back in this month. Took the month off of biking to concentrate on running. Now will start to introduce the other parts back in.

How do people keep track of their laps? I had trouble remembering so I got this. http://www.sportcount.com/products.php Now I can concentrate on my stroke more than thinking what number lap that was.

Edited by PGilger 2007-01-31 3:46 PM
2007-01-31 4:47 PM

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
Still get troubled by the swim workouts and counting - I have many blonde moments in the pool - I'm still having problems with the workout structures - going on 50 etc - I joined a group of Tri folks - trying to get this stuff down - it's hard to think when you can't breathe - then they expect math - not happenin' for me. I can swim a long time - just need to do it faster now. Hoping it will get better - we get video taped this Sunday - afraid of what i will see

2007-02-01 8:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbus, Ohio

Off day for me today. Will do a brick tomorrow of biking and running.

Besides a multi vitamin. What do people take in terms of any type of supplements?

Edited by PGilger 2007-02-01 8:40 AM
2007-02-01 9:06 AM

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
Just a vitamin for me! Try to eat well and often throughout the day!

Running Scheduled today - I lead a group run every Thurs
The group is doing 45 min - 1 hour - base
I start early with my training partner we are doing progressions
1 HR 30 Min - 10 min Z1- 10 min Z2 - 10 min Z3 - alternating for the duration

Friday Brick - 1 hr bike - 30 min run

M
2007-02-01 9:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Russell, KS
Are we supposed to take supplements?
2007-02-01 9:56 AM

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
My Opinion only - not an expert - You should be able to get all the vitamins from your diet - however, it's not always so easy to do - I take a Women's One a Day - to fill in gaps. I also take in Gatorade type fluid relapcement & Gu during hard/long workouts - long bike rides also will take Cliff Bars - banana's to eat on the ride. I always do a Protein shake within 20 min of a hard workout, helps with recovery.

Guy's any other views...What works for you??

We want secrets - allllll the secrets

FYI: I'm training for long distance right now - soooo I eat a lot - If you are doing sprints and super sprints - you will not need to consume a ton of stuff during your races. Some of my training will go over 3 hrs - so I need to eat!

Been running for 13 years -
Cycling since Last March 2006
Swimming since December 2006
2007-02-01 10:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
I asked the question out of curiosity. I only take a multi vitamin. Trying to lose weight so I don't get all the calories I need. Also I am terrible about eating bad, expecially when I am bored. This is my big issue. Any suggestions on how to avoid the snack monster.

2007-02-01 10:22 AM

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
Snack suggestions

Snack on only good stuff - I'm always behind on food - I tend not to eat enough - eat often - small meals
Breakfast
mid Am Snack
Lunch
Mid Pm Snack
Dinner
After Dinner Snack

Yogurt
1 serving Cottage Cheese -1 TBSP Peanut butter
Cliff Bars
Fruit and Protein Shake
Eddy's Frozen Fruit Bars
Dried Fruits
Plain Almonds

2007-02-01 10:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Russell, KS
I don't personally believe that snacking is bad as long as you eat good food. I'm a grazer myself, and I don't have weight issues. BUT the key is that I'm very anal about what I put into my body.

I avoid processed sugar. In fact, I don't even like the taste of it anymore. (I can even taste the sugar in speghetti sauce so I read the label to get ones without it. Classico Tomato and Basil is a great one.)

Instead of having a soda, I drink decaf tea. (Caffein tends to make you hungry)
All bread or pasta must be whole grain.
No chips. No pretzels, nothing in the "snack food aisle" at the local grocery store.
I rarely eat potatos of any kind (maybe once a year), and if I do, I eat a baked whole potato with the skin.

Nuts are good for you and a great snack: sunflower seeds, almonds, pecans, hazelnuts. They have good "heart healthy" fats and fill you up so you don't eat as much. (Peanuts not so healthy, but they do fill you up.)

I also like dried fruit: raisains, dried plums, dried apricots. Cheese is also good for you and fills you up. You can get the snack size cheeses at the grocery store which is great for a quickie snack.

Need something substancial? Hard boiled eggs, or a small omelet with onions using olive oil. Eggs boost your good cholesterol and also fill you up.

If you have an oral fixation, perhaps sugarfree gum might give you something to chew on without hurting your teeth. Or, sunflower seeds. Sunflower seeds also take a while to eat since you have to remove the shell. You end up eating less.

Honestly, I'm more comfortable putting fat into my body instead of sugar. I drink regular milk and use real butter. (It doesn't take as much when you use real stuff anyway.) I think sugar is hands down the reason so many people are fat in this country.

And, when you cut out all the "crap" and eat "real", you tend to get much less fat and sugar in your diet anyway. So even though I eat fat, compared to other people, I eat far less than the average American.

Edited by grnidone 2007-02-01 10:25 AM
2007-02-01 10:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Russell, KS
Damn. I missed the mark completely.

You said you snacked because you were BORED. Which means you'd eat even if you are full.

The question becomes: why are you bored? It sounds like you need something to do to mentally or physically stimulate you.

Maybe when you want to snack, it's time to play ball with the dogs. Or "chase the feather" with the cat. Have you ever taught a goldfish how to go through a hoop?

If you're at work, get up and walk around. Talk to someone. Get up from the desk and go outside and see the sky. Write a short story. Start a blog. Play a prank on someone.

You are putting food into your body to try to "fill up" your boredom and make it go away, but it doesn't really work. You feel satisfied, but not really.

Have you considered learning a new skill? Like knitting? Sodoku? Another language? Dog training? Maybe take a cooking class to learn about food and how to cook wonderful nutritious things.

Edited by grnidone 2007-02-01 10:40 AM
2007-02-01 11:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbus, Ohio

Thanks for the suggestions. Let me explain more. It's not really bored it just snacking for no reason and now realizing that I didn't need it til after the fact. I know I was not hungrey. I am drinking more water and this helps. I am now writing down everything I eat to keep track of it. This also helps. Lost 20 lbs a couple of years ago doing this. Then got lazy about writing down and gained it all back.

I raced at 205 or so last year. Would like to get down to 180 or 185 to see the difference at the weight. Currently at 204. Started at 209 a couple weeks ago.

2007-02-01 11:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbus, Ohio

Another question. Earlier people were talking about heart monitors and zones. I have a heart monitor but don't use it very much. What is the purpose of keeping track of it. What are the advantage of keeping it in a certain zone. I would wear it more it I understood the purpose of the different zones. Please help me with this question.

2007-02-02 5:07 AM
in reply to: #675577

User image

Vienna
Welcome to the new people in the group! I'm sure your experience will be very usefull for us.

I never had a HRM, but I've tried a couple of times to train with it, and I find it quite interesting. It's a great way to check the kind of workout you are doing. I'm not an expert, but I've read about it before and I think I can give you some hints.

Depending on your age and physical condition you have a Maximal Heart Rate (MHR) at wich your heart can pump blood through your body (and to your muscles) and a Resting Heart Rate (RHR) when you are absolutely relaxed (lying, no muscular effort). You can check your RHR yourself, and for the MHR either you use one of the age based formulas (f.e. 217 - (age*0.85)) or, better, you do some kind of "Effort test" (direct translation from Spanish ) in a medical-sport facility (actually, there you will get accurate information about your training zones and much more!).

Based on RHR and MHR you calculate the "% Training zones". For example, to calculate the heart rate at the 70% of your effort range, you use the following formula: RHR + 0.70*(MHR - RHR). There are some standard training zones established:

A. 60% - 70% : Fat burning/Recovery - Very long runs at slow pace
B. 70% - 80% : Aerobic zone - Developement of cardiovascular system - Long runs at a nice pace
C. 80% - 90% : Anaerobic zone - developement of the lactic acid system - Interval training - There is some point in your effor range where your muscles don't get enough oxigen in the process of energy consumption they need to work, and lactic acid is generated as a disposal. This lactic acid accumulates in your muscles, and you get the "pumped" feeling. Training in this zone may help you to set this threshold at a higher heart rate, so you will be able to exercise faster/stronger and for a longer time without getting pumped.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I would say that zone A is to loose weight (or recovery from efforts), zone B is to get fit and zone C is to improve your performance capabilities.

Just google "Heart rate training zones" and you will find millions of pages. I guess there is also a lot of information here, in BT. You can also find programs or excel sheets to calculate your training zones automatically.

Hope it helps.
2007-02-02 8:10 AM

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
Great job Pedro -

Your level of fitness also is a factor... my max is very high for running but much lower for cycling. It's cool to compare because we are very diverse - I would love to know Dibaba's max She just set the world record @ 5k indoor track meet - 14:27 ave 4:39 per mile for 3.1 miles and she made it look soooo easy!! My goal is to run faster in the lower zones -faster for much longer that's how the elites do it! Working out in the zones also keeps you from training too hard or not hard enough! The resting heart rates can indicate over training or oncoming illness.

M
2007-02-02 9:47 AM
in reply to: #676538

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Agreed. Nice job both Pedro and Michelle.

My experience with HR training has gone like this:

1. Read up on the subject to understand the concepts.
2. Identify my zones on both bike and run. Initally using the 220-age, formula, then 6 months later did a VO2 test at the gym. Bike zones are generally a bit lower than run. (test showed I was undertraining using the general formula)
3. Have someone develop a plan using my zones and execute the plan. Right now, I've got a monitor on for all of my land based workouts.
4. Retest VO2 for both bike and run as my level of fitness increased.

Like Michelle, my goal is to go faster in the lower zones.
2007-02-02 10:00 AM

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Getting back to Michelle's questions about workout food:

For shorter workouts I'll stick with gatorade-type replacement and a gel of any sort (usually Hammer products).

During long workouts (2+ hrs) I use Sustained Energy or Perpetuem (other hammer products) as they can be mixed into a liquid/paste form for easy carrying and consumption. I also usually carry some gel or banana for supplementing.

Pre workout, like Michelle, I do a sustained energy shake or knock back a gel.

I do a 20 oz Recoverite mixture after all hard workouts.

It's really a matter of finding out what works for you.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » leapdog's group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 9