Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2007-02-18 3:48 PM
in reply to: #669310

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Subject: RE: leapdog's group - FULL
Hey folks, I'm back at home after a strenuous week of vacation. 'bout the only thing I did that was tri related all week was hydrate and one 5+ mi run. Running at 8k+ altitude is pretty humbling for a flatlander.

I see there's been some updates since I've been gone, but let's catch up a bit.

Dave, I'm sure you're still lifting/doing cardio.

Heather, by the looks of your swim q's you've been hitting the pool. That's great news. Only way to get better at swimming is to swim more.

Pedro, any progress with your swim/bike/run?

Michelle (co-chair) , great job on your 5k. You're a rock star!

Patrick, I see you've been hard at it. Way to go.

----------------

Let's get caught up. Everyone sound off on how things are going for you with respect to:
--Are you staying healthy?
--Swim (or kayak)
--Bike
--Run
--Strength/core
--Overall plan

I see most folks don't put anything in their BT logs. Why that is, could be due to a variety of reasons, but I'd hope you all have or are laying out your plans for the summer.

Topic for the day: Running Shoes

I've had good experiences with my shoes, but think that's so because of a few things.
-Proper fit. I got fit at a running store by folks that can analyze foot type.
-Socks. I use the same style of socks all the time so my shoe fit is perfect each time I run.
-Rotation. I log the miles on each pair of shoes and rotate them out after about 350 miles.

Anyone else with shoe thoughts or questions?

Thanks for checking in, and I hope you all had a good week.

Jeff

2007-02-18 4:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
My running shoes right now are off the rack. I have 2 different pairs that I switch between, Asics and New Balance. One pair for in the gym and one pair for outside running. I'm going to go this spring and get stride checked out to see what type of shoe would help me more.
2007-02-18 6:37 PM

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
Yeahh!! Glad you are back safe!! Just had a plane slide off runway here in Cleveland(no injuries)! Still Snowing on top off all the snow we got last week(18")-- no end in sight!

--Are you staying healthy? Yes
--Swim -Getting some good swims in - building base trying to get faster
--Bike - Huge bike weekends - base building - easy low HT zone work 2-3 hour workouts
--Run - Also base building 3 X per week usually 1- to 1:30 some with pick ups
--Strength/core - down to 1 x per week - moving into racing mode
--Overall plan - on schedule -on plan

Shoes - do the same as you - rotate between 2 pair - I have racing flats for shorter distance 5k-5 miles. Over 10k use my regular trainers - I wear Mizuno's Wave 10- they are light weight and good overall shoe. I'm testing new flat this spring for Mizuno- will give a full report when they arrive. I agree, really important to be fit correctly by running specific shoe store. The big box chains really don't do a good job for correct fit.

P - check out - http://www.frcols.com/Index.html
They are in your area for shoes!

My 2 cents!

M

Edited by michlmead 2007-02-18 6:40 PM
2007-02-18 7:59 PM

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Thx for the update Michelle. Your attitude towards training/racing reminds me of my trainer. She's one tough competitor like yourself.

I've never tried racing flats, but have considered them for sprint/oly distance races. May have to make that jump this year.

I too have a few pairs of shoes that I rotate through. I use the older ones for winter outdoor runs as well as rainy runs in the summer. Newer pairs are reserved for indoor and dry outdoor use.

Have a good evening.

Jeff
2007-02-19 8:26 AM

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Heather, to answer your questions about swimming.

I do core work as well as strength training along with alot of swimming. I'm sure running/biking also aids your overall fitness level, but like Michelle, I'm of the opinion that the more you swim the better off you'll be. I use swimming as 'active recovery' after a previous strenuous bike or run. Swimming is relaxing and helps me loosen up a bit.

I've never used swim paddles but know some folks that do. My swim peripherals include a pull buoy, kick board and shorty fins. My instructor hasn't ever had us use the paddles so I'm guessing she's not a believer in them.

Have a good day folks!
2007-02-19 10:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Russell, KS
1. I'm getting healthier by the day. I was sick last week with fever and I still get tired easily. I can't wait to be done with this because I'm sick of blowing my nose every 15 minutes and coughing up slime from my lungs. (Although, I am grateful that I am no longer blowing my nose every 2 minutes like I was. Literally. Every 2 minutes.)

2. Swimming: I need to do more. Currently, I'm dolng once a week on my swimming lesson day. My instructor said I have great form, now all I need to do is do a lot more of it. A lot more. I need to get a club membership when I get some more cash in the door.

3. Running. I haven't run this last week. I have learned that I run better when I use a football tooth protector thing. My teeth and windpipe don't get cold, and I can run longer distances.

4. Biking: Got my bike back from the shop, it runs great. I've put it on my trainer, and I will start that today or tomorrow.

5. Shoes. I need a new pair.

Basically, I have gotten way off track. I'm discouraged by this, but aim to make progress this week. If I can stop blowing my nose.

Do you have any suggestions for healing faster? Will supplements actually help?

2007-02-19 11:31 AM

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Thx for the update Heather.

When I get sick (which isn't too often) I wait until I'm pretty much over things before I get back at it. The workouts I've done while under the weather aren't of high quality anyway so I hate to waste healing time doing things that just put miles/yards in my logs.

Perhaps you can do yoga/strenght training until you get over your cold but I'd stay away from anything cardio.

Any others have tips they could share?

JR

2007-02-23 8:09 AM

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
Hi Group!

I just found out...Via Email yesterday from some running buds, I made the Running Times Magazine! I just got mine in the mail today - The Outer Banks Marathon used my photo in their ad for the 2007 race! Thankfully it was early on and my form still looks good!!

PS: None of those guys in the back caught me... But I did not catch the guy in black in front of me either - did use him to draft for a while though!!

M
2007-02-23 9:14 AM

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Wow, there is life left in this group! Congrats on your pic, Michelle. Nice workouts this week. You can fly!

2007-02-23 9:44 AM

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
Alive and well - looking @ more snow in Berea!! The 40's have felt like a heat wave. I have to credit my training partner Roger, for my running improvement - he's a fantastic runner - always keeps me honest!! We are a perfect match - I do the same for him on the bike - Swimming is the only sport we don't do together - he's in a learn to swim program, and is doing great!! Starting from scratch. We run/bike or both 5 days a week! Makes a big difference...especially on those days when I'm tired or not feeling the workout vibe.
We've had great fun in 06 - and looking forward to 07' Roger finished 12th @ OBX and 3rd Master too!! 2:54 - He had also ran Tow Path Marathon 06 (in October, one month before obx -3rd overall 2:49)
Still trying to catch him!!

M
2007-02-23 12:31 PM
in reply to: #700474

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Temps were gorgeous here in MN this week as well. All of our snow is gone, but soon to return via a big snowstorm this weekend.

I'd agree. It's good to pick a training partner with different strengths than your own. My running buddy is an ace as well. I'm by no means an ace at biking, but am stronger than she is in that area so will help her improve there. We swim together, but she's a bit stronger in the pool so I just do what I do.

I also agree with you that having someone to train with makes a difference on the days you may be dragging a bit. It's harder to dog it when you've got someone you've got to keep up with.

My measure of my training schedule is whether I look forward to my scheduled day off. If not, I'm not working hard enough. It's pretty rare when I feel like working out on my scheduled day off.

VO2 test tomorrow (not sure if it's running or biking) - should be interesting to see how my HR zones have changed since my last test.

2007-02-23 1:59 PM
in reply to: #694659

User image

Vienna
Hi,

Just wanted to let you know that I'm still alive, but almost as if I wasn't!! In five minutes I finish my 19 workingdays streak, and finally have a weekend to do whatever I want. It was really hard to find time for anything, including training, so I'm late on my plan for the sprint in June. Hope to catch up anyway, I can't turn back time.

I will tell you about my "feelings" when I get back training tomorrow.

Sorry for my silence!
2007-02-24 4:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Russell, KS
I'm very proud of myself today. I've swum farther than I've ever swum in my life! 625 meters.

I also learned that swimming is much more fun when you can breathe. I learned that when you roll to breathe, you should be seeing the sky.
2007-02-24 7:45 PM
in reply to: #701992

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Heather,

You should be very proud of yourself! You're spot on with your swim comment - once you get the breathing sorted out, swimming is much more fun.

It's fun to see your progress. Thx for sharing.

As for my day: I started out with a VO2 test in the early AM, ran 50 mins and then swam 1500yds straight with my coach.

The highlight of my day was helping out with an indoor kids triathlon. I didn't help much, but it was really fun to watch how serious the 7-14 year olds were. Most were doing their first triathlon and were pretty excited. All were good sports and put forth pretty darn good efforts. It's fun to give back once in a while.

Jeff
2007-02-24 8:21 PM

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
Great Swimming Heather!! You're ahead of schedule and it's only February!! Breathing and relaxing in water are the most important elements!!

Nice work!

M
2007-02-25 2:49 PM
in reply to: #702135

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbus, Ohio

Hello all/ Had a big run yesterday in some nice weather. Ran almost 8 miles and felt pretty good. Hope all is well with everyone.

Hey michlmead have you ever done the Cleveland Tri in Aug. Was thinking about this one and wondered if you have ever done it.  http://www.pacificsportsllc.com/cleveland/athlete.html

Edited by PGilger 2007-02-25 2:50 PM

2007-02-25 4:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Russell, KS
Let's talk proper running form.

I still feel like a slug, and my feet feel heavy. I don't know if this is because I'm running incorrectly, or if it is because I am out of shape. But as I understand it, if you run properly, it feels effortless.

I've run before when it hasn't been a lot of work, but for some reason today, my feet felt like they had lead in them.

What is the proper running form?
2007-02-25 6:23 PM
in reply to: #702474

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
Hi Patrick:

Done the Oly distance 2x -course overall pretty flat - they changed the bike route it seems it's different every year - usually due to construction - Overall the race is a fun one and very well attended and organized. I've had good races both times - downside - water can be iffy, depending on rain -sometimes it can be oily (it's in the harbor) - Last years bike had lot of chuck holes because of the course change - you had to be careful not to flat out. Run had a few more uphills in and out of transitions. It would be a fun road trip!! See the Rock Hall and Science Center - we have some great food - also a new bowling alley right downtown

Heather:
Running form for me is all about glide - no bounce, quick turnover, think about running on hot eggs - and you don't want to break any shells.

During one of your runs do a cadence test for me...
count how many times either your right or left foot hits the ground - for 20 sec
Do this count at the start - in the middle - and at the end of the run!

Post the results - I will let you know findings after I see your numbers! If anyone else in the group wants to do this I will review yours too!! Have fun!

Michelle

Edited by michlmead 2007-02-25 6:23 PM
2007-02-25 7:13 PM

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Heather,

It's funny you should mention running. My coach has been working with me on changing my running style, particularly with respect to cadence. At moderate paces my cadence is too high (taking too many short steps).

The way I understand it, I should be taking the same amount of strides per minute (~90) regardless of what pace I am running - slow, medium or fast. We're working on strength/plyometrics to increase leg strength so I can increase my turnover and get to the sweet spot someday.

I must admit, I've only been running for a few yrs but it's still hard to change my stride.

Hope this helps.

Jeff
2007-02-26 7:31 AM

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
Hi Jeff:

I'm confused - if your cadence is high that denotes a highly efficent running style - what are your foot strikes?
2007-02-26 12:10 PM
in reply to: #702909

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Not sure what you mean by foot strikes.

The exercise I went through was this. Set the treamill's incline (1 or 2 degrees, I think).

Run for 1 minute at 6 mph - count cadence (i.e. footstrikes)
Repeat at 8, 10, 12 mph.

I don't recall what my counts were, but my coach indicated that she wanted the counts to be the same across all speeds. Mine counts got less as the speeds increased so she wants me to take longer strides do get that count to a lower number across all speeds. She referred to the long strides that the Kenyans take as a visual.

Perhaps I need another coach, or I misunderstood her.

2007-02-26 12:54 PM

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
Hi Jeff:

http://www.triendurance.com/Related.asp?PageID=14&NavID=7

Great article - on cadence - If you already have an efficent high cadence stride - I would not change that - the stride length will increase in races. I test my cadence 3 times during a longer effort - I only count 20 sec then multiply - when I need to go faster - I tend to shorten my stride - my normal is @ 90 and for me an increase to 92-94 produces faster times! Just my 2 cents!

M
2007-02-26 2:26 PM
in reply to: #703471

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Hey Michelle, thx for the article. I'll talk to my coach to clarify where I'm at and what she's trying to do and see if it matches up with the article.

2007-02-26 6:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Russell, KS
I'm confused.

My tri book for women tells me that when you run, you should hit heal first and roll to your toes.

The web site referenced in your article says to hit on your toes.

Which is right? Does it matter?
2007-02-27 12:55 PM

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
Hi Heather:

There is no wrong or right - some people natually run off their toes - most distance runners tend to heal strike and roll through - spinters are more toe off. So do what feels natural and comfortable for you! Like to ad says "just do it!"
M
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » leapdog's group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 9