Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2007-03-25 5:30 PM
in reply to: #669310

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
Subject: RE: leapdog's group - FULL
Hi Heather:

Also agree with Jeff... one other thing I would check into - is a local Tri - club/running club in the area. I'm a member of several groups - each have their own personality and membership - i'm a social athlete - love the interaction with others! Sooo much be learned from veterans and other newbies. It's a great opportunity find others to run, bike and even swim with!! I've just started swimming in Dec w/ a group - a few of us have split off and do extra workouts on our own! One of my swim buddies - needs help with running soooo we help each other get better! I have been very lucky to make some lifelong friends through running - meeting new multi-sport people everyday!

Going to meet one of the other mentors in VA in a couple of weeks for my Duathlon!

Take advantage of as much information as you can get - if you have questions just ask!

Remember there are always 1000 different programs and ways to train... you need to pick which works for your lifestyle. AND HAVE FUN... if your not having fun, it might not be the right program for you.

Stay focused on goals - keep working out - progress is being made everytime you hit the road!!

Jeff: it's warm in OH-IO - 60 today!!! 2 hours on the bike outside in the sun

M

2007-03-26 3:24 PM

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Good afternoon,

Michelle pointed out a huge gaping hole I didn't elaborate on with respect to training.

I too find it helpful (sometimes critical) to make use of a group of tri-junkies at my health club. I find myself doing almost all of my long runs and bikes with at least one person from the group. Even though we're at different ages and abilities we're constantly learning from one another with respect to tri events. Every little tidbit you can get from folks may prevent you from making the same mistake someday.

I started swimming with a Masters group at my club and like Michelle end up doing workouts with folks from that class outside of class. It's really nice to have someone to train with, especially if they're of similar capabilities, but even if they're not.

I trained for all of my races for 3+ yrs with no support network. Now that I've got folks to train with, I'll make use of that network whenever possible.

I've removed the trainer tire from my bike and am now committed to outdoor riding till next Oct. Yahoo!

Hope you're all staying healthy.

Jeff
2007-03-29 8:16 AM

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
Hi Jeff:

MN # 2 for good health!!

http://www.morganquitno.com/hc93-07.htm
2007-03-29 6:30 PM
in reply to: #741371

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Not sure why...we're cooped up indoors because of the cold for half the year!

2007-04-06 2:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Russell, KS
I'm following this program:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=...

And honestly, I want to question it. I don't feel like I'm doing enough to work out. I feel like I should be running/ biking/ swimming more than I am. Sometimes I don't even feel tired when I get done.

Should I just trust in the process? Or do I need to find another program?

Also, I'd like to go faster in the water. Any tips?
2007-04-09 7:58 AM

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
Race Day!!! 1 st Long Course Race took 12th overall - 3rd 40-44 women
Here's the numbers

5.7 run 37.6 bike 5.7 run

3. 40-44 MICHELLE MEAD BEREA OH
1 37:25 6 1:54 Bike 5 1:59:56 6 1:47 run 2 43:26 3:24:26

Conditions- awful - cold windy - 2 inches of snow - glad to finish - even got to run little extra on 2nd run!! Love Long Course Distances... can't wait for some heat!! My feet have never been soooo cold and numb - thought they were frost bitten. Runs were great - need more bike time!!

Working on full race report!

Alternate for spot @ worlds - will get it at Mansfield (no snow I hope!!)

2007-04-10 7:44 AM
in reply to: #753412

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Michelle, you're incredible! I really wish I could run like a girl.

Heather, to answer your question about the pool:

The best way I found to get faster in the pool is to be more efficient and to get stronger. There are a couple ways to do this: A. Get literature/video on the subject (I use the Total Immersion style) and try the techniques. B. Take a lesson or get a swim coach.

I opted for 'B', mainly because I had access to a swim coach and so I could get instant feedback on technique. I'm sure many on this site are self schooled and are good swimmers even though they didn't have individual instruction.

The way I've been schooled is that until you can swim a length of the poo (25 yds)l in 20 strokes or less, you should work on your technique.

An instructor (or literature) will help get you into a position where you'll be the most balanced and comfy in the water. When done properly each drill will work you towards swimming, so once you start freestying, you'll see a noticable difference.

By the way, what's your typical time for 100 yds. You may not be as slow as you think!

Hope this helps. Michelle, can you add your experience as well?

Going faster in the pool is one thing. Open water swimming is a whole new ballgame and can be covered in another thread.

Jeff

2007-04-10 7:55 AM
in reply to: #751743

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Heather, to answer your question about your plan.

First off, you probably shouldn't feet tired after EVERY workout, as some days are used more for recovery from a hard workout the day before.

I'd say if you're not feeling tired on ANY of your workouts you may consider either finding a plan with a little more volume or intensity that fits your current abilities. Some 'just finish' plans assume no level of fitness upon starting it so if you're ramped up a bit when you start the plan you may be a bit ahead of the curve.

You may also consider adjusting your current plan to use the concepts (i.e. Swim this day, bike that day, brick another day) and up your volume a bit so you get tired. Honestly, one of the most difficult things about tri training (and the reason I have trainer build my plan) is trying to juggle the three facets so I don't get run down. If you're not ready to rest on your off day, you probably could get at it with a bit more intensity. I'm rarely sore, but am often tired.

I'm NOT a trainer, so take this for what it's worth.

2007-04-10 8:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Russell, KS
The way I've been schooled is that until you can swim a length of the poo (25 yds)l in 20 strokes or less, you should work on your technique.

This sounds like a statistic made for those who are the "average" height of 6 feet tall. I have a hard time believing it.
2007-04-10 12:48 PM
in reply to: #755029

User image

Master
, Minnesota
That's the number my TI instructor threw at me. I'm a bit height impaired (5' 7") myself so I tend to agree with you. I'm stuck in the low 20's but right after doing drill work I can get into the lower teens. Much to my coaches dismay, I haven't tried to shave a couple strokes per 25, but rather worked on my stamina.

The way I rationalize is that the person with the lowest number of strokes doesn't win the race, the one that crosses the finish line first does!
2007-04-10 1:26 PM

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
Hi

I have to count my strokes - don't know - been getting faster - but focused on the pull in the water not kicking like a runner and from the hip - I've been working endurance 2.

it is getting easier - but trying swimming really fast does wear me out - it's almost more like sprinting an 800 in running - still learning about pace i can hold for a distance swim.

Will let you know after I count my strokes for 25 - I'm 5' 1" sooo we'll see!

M

2007-04-10 2:36 PM

User image

Master
, Minnesota
oops. Meant UPPER teens after drills, not LOWER teens. Only the tall folks in class get lower than 15/25 yds.
2007-04-12 7:09 AM

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
OK counted the strokes - I'm in the low 20's when going faster 20-22 if I'm swimming easy it creeps up to 24-25 - the glide factor i think would help to take less strokes - less strokes would be less tiring over a long distance - don't think it would make a big diff in sprint races. Could not break into the teens - could be the height issue - coach says my reach is very good. The other tri guys always say - you won't win the race in the swim, but it helps to get out refreshed and not exhausted for the bike and run - there's where the races are won! Practice transitions you can lose a couple of mintues just fumbling around.

Leap?? I have an order coming into t1 and t2 - saves me time and everything gets done!

it goes like this...

t1
cycling shoes --left then right
helmet on next - lock chin strap (must be fastened or you can get dq'ed)
sunglasses on
Go...

t2
undo bike shoes left then right - running shoes ready w/ lace locks left- right secure
take off helmet - looks silly running w/ it on (extra weight) - although I did see some folks on the first run @ the Du wearing the helmet - had to pass them on the run
Sunglasses
Visor
Go... run fast (staying in hrt zones)

M

2007-04-12 2:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Russell, KS
I think the water will be cold enough I will have to wear a wetsuit to prevent getting too cold, but I'm thinking I will wear my regular tri suit underneath so all I have to do is peel off the suit and go. And, if I do it that way, I don't have to try to put on cycling shorts over wet legs.

Any advice if a wetsuit is involved in the transition?

Edited by grnidone 2007-04-12 2:24 PM
2007-04-12 3:25 PM
in reply to: #758986

User image

Master
, Minnesota
T1 order is pretty much same as Michelle

Shoes, Helmet and sunglasses. Only difference is that I put my glasses on my helmet and on my face while on the bike. I still don't put shoes on the pedals and put them on while riding - maybe someday.

T2 same as Michelle, cept I use a number belt.

Bike shoes off, Run shoes on (quick laces), Helmet off, # belt on, and I'm off!

Wetsuit advice for Heather:

You nailed it when you said you should wear your tri suit under your wetsuit. Good plan. Tri suit/shorts work great for bike/run.

I shed my swim goggles/swimcap as soon as I get out of the water on my way to T1. I also have my wet suit around my waist by the time I get there. To get out of my suit quickly, I've cut the bottom of the legs to make the leg holes wider for easy exit. Pull it down as far as you can, step on on the top with one foot and pull one leg out. Step on what's left with the leg that's out and pull leg #2 out.

I'd recommend practicing transitions (especially exiting your wetsuit) before race day.

2007-04-12 4:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Russell, KS
I've also heard you should tie a balloon near your bicycle so you can easily find it in the racks of bikes.

2007-04-12 7:05 PM
in reply to: #759216

User image

Master
, Minnesota
That's a great point Heather.

Definitely scout out where you park your bike from the direction you will be coming from the water, especially in large events. Using some sort of unique marker is a good idea. Keep in mind others may use a balloon as well!

2007-04-13 10:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Russell, KS
Yes. But mine will be a Sponge Bob balloon.

Another strange thing I've discovered about the swim:

My fastest, strongest pull on the swim is after I've been in the water for about 12 minutes. My breathing is more even, and it is easier to go longer and swim stronger and faster. It's like somehow I relax and suddenly swimming is easier.

I don't really understand this, but I'm willing to work with it. Is there a way I can warm up without getting in the water beforehand?
2007-04-13 3:56 PM
in reply to: #759949

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Sponge Bob'll set you apart in a crowd, that's for sure.

Not sure how to warm up for swimming without getting in the water. I'll ask around. At tri's most folks get in the water a bit to warm up so that should help you.
2007-04-19 11:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Russell, KS
Injury...

I scared myself into buying a heart rate monitor.

I got on the threadmill and decided to push a little harder to see if I could better my time. I didn't go that much faster -- at least I didn't think I did. I was running for about 12 minutes when my throat and face began to hurt.

"Push through it," I thought to myself. "I'll be ok."

A few more minutes and I was REAL thirsty, and my face and throat ached even more. I couldn't stop thinking about water.

"Wow...maybe I'm a little dehydrated," I thought again.

So, I slowed to a walk to drink. In so doing, I grabbed onto the treadmill handrail which is equipped with a heart rate monitor. After about 30 seconds my heart rate showed 167. According to the little graph painted on the treadmill, that is well above 80%.

I freaked out.

The next day, my right knee ached. Great. An injury on top of that.

I haven't trained all week, figuring I need to heal my knee so it doesn't get worse. And, my heart rate monitor comes in on Saturday, so I'll be all ready to start again next week.

I'll never go without a heart rate monitor again. I'm glad I didn't collapse or REALLY injure myself to learn that.

Edited by grnidone 2007-04-19 11:07 AM
2007-04-20 5:22 AM
in reply to: #768390

User image

Vienna
Take it easy now. Better take good care of that knee!

Did you feel any pain before when biking or did hard spinning session (with "heavy" gears)? I think running on the threadmill shouldn't very agressive with the joints (did it twice in my life, so I don't really know), so maybe the problems come from the position or an extreme effort on the bike.
During recovery you can still walk and stretch when your muscles are warm, it can help.

When I tried the threadmill it felt much more sofocating, I guess it's because you don't get any "air" on your face like when outside, don't know if it has an effect on the HR. Anyway, I think you did go a bit over the limit (this may not be related to the knee problem!).

I bought a HRM two weeks ago (Polar RS100), so I can tell you my first experiences.
I really feel a change when I go over 85% of my maximum (i.e. can't talk while running). You will also realize this threshold. Still I can go for more than 15mins at an average of 87%, but never crossing the 88% (i.e. no sprint). What I try to do is to increase the pace slowly untill going a bit over 85% (no sprints), then maintain as long as I need (depending on if it's a long or a short run), and then of course cool down (check training log for an example). If you do want to sprint, don't forget to rest in between reps to let your heart recover (when you have a HRM this is much easier to check!).

Take care!!

2007-04-20 9:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Russell, KS
Did you feel any pain before when biking or did hard spinning session (with "heavy" gears)?

Now that you mention it, yes. Both my knees hurt when I stand up to pedal. And it's not the "good" hurt that just tells you your muscles are working, it is the "bad hurt" that makes me want to stop immediately.

I don't know why, but standing up to pedal is grueling to me. I'd rather do a hard gear sitting down. Maybe I need to get my muscles in shape. Or maybe I'm not pedaling correctly..?

Edited by grnidone 2007-04-20 9:15 AM
2007-04-22 3:46 AM
in reply to: #769773

User image

Vienna
grnidone - 2007-04-20 4:14 PM
Maybe I need to get my muscles in shape. Or maybe I'm not pedaling correctly..?

Maybe you just forced your muscles in during the spinning class too much? If this pain is in the lower part of the cuadriceps, right where it meets the knee, I think it could be because of using too heavy gears. Or maybe is that when you stand on the pedals you force some kind of torsion on your knee joints (turning your hips somehow).

I suggest to ask your spinning trainer, for sure he has experience with all kind of effort/postural related muscular pains.
2007-04-30 2:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Russell, KS
I need encouragement. I got off track last week when I went on vacation. I ran, but did no swimming or bicycling.

I feel down. I don't want to get in the pool today even though I need to. Encourage me!
2007-05-01 6:31 AM
in reply to: #781957

User image

Vienna
grnidone - 2007-04-30 9:24 PM

I need encouragement. I got off track last week when I went on vacation. I ran, but did no swimming or bicycling.

I feel down. I don't want to get in the pool today even though I need to. Encourage me!

I see you were swimming yesterday! Then you don´t need encouragement anymore . You took the first step (the hardest one) and "forced" yourself to get in the pool. Congratulations about the training and keep it up!. Remember your goal: you have to be ready to go to Germany and enjoy it!
Do you have any training partners? If not, try to find some, I guess it helps to have someone around to enjoy and push yourself.

Today I should go for the long run of the week... want to join :D?

Hope the rest of the group is doing fine.

I'm one month away of what should be my first triathlon (it's a sprint)... I didn´t sign up yet, as I think I´m not ready for it... specially unconfident about the swimming! Let's review my current state:
- Swimming : yesterday I did a test in a 50m pool, at a pace that I hope would let me bike and run afterwards. Result: 750m - 20:07 (2:41 Min/100m). I did 8x50 crawl, 2x50 breaststroke, 3x50 crawl, 1x50 breaststroke, 1x50 crawl, as I need to get some air back and relax in between (and my pace is more or less the same!). That's slow...probably I will be the last one before T1 . Thinking positive: could be that I improved technique a bit and I plan to go 3 times per week to the pool. My goal is under 20 mins on the race day.
- Biking : no long biking sessions lately. Could keep the speed over 20Km/h (with MTB and in the city) in my last sessions, so it´s not so bad. My goal is 22.5 Km/h on the race day.
- Running : here I´ve been positively surprised by being able to run over 40 minutes at pretty decent pace (a bit over 5:00 Min/Km). I´m a bit scared of my HR average though, maybe I´m pushing too hard?. My goal is under 27:30min (5:30 Min/km) on the race day.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » leapdog's group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 9