Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2007-05-30 12:32 PM
in reply to: #669310

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Subject: RE: leapdog's group - FULL
It was a bit chilly on the bike. Makes you want to get it over with quicker! Run temp was nice.

2007-06-01 9:56 AM

User image

New user

Clinton Twp.,MI.
Hi All,

I have a question about breathing whilst running. If this has been breached already and someone could point me in the correct direction, I would appreciate it. Anyway, Does anyone have a good technique for breathing while running? I'm finding that I'm not so much being restricted by muscle fatigue as I am by my breathing. I just can't seem to get a good rhythm and it's definitely slowing down my training.

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

BTW, sorry I haven't been around for a while. My schedule has been keeping me away from my computer for far to long.

Edited by lizardlocks 2007-06-01 9:58 AM
2007-06-01 10:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Russell, KS
Breathe through the mouth, not the nose. The face should be completely relaxed, your mouth open, jaw relaxed.

Make sure your shoulders are relaxed so you are breathing from a deeper place.

I've found that when it is cold, I use a football mouthpiece to cover my teeth. It keeps my head from aching from cold teeth and keeps my mouth moist. I can't run in temperatures less than 55 degrees without one.

It is also much more efficient to take smaller steps when you run. It takes less energy to take more steps than it is to take fewer longer steps. I found that when I made my steps smaller and worked on my running form, I wasn't breathing so hard, and I could go a lot farther.

2007-06-01 10:17 AM

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
Hi David:

Don't really think about breathing - i use my heart rate as a guide to training intensity - not sure what distances you're doing - recovery days i stay in low hrt zones - i can talk @ conversation pace while running - hard efforts - no talking just breathing hard - you maybe pushing into Lactate Thresold - there is a delay as you're hrt goes up over the longer distance.

I would also suggest - running with others - great distraction!

M
2007-06-01 11:01 AM
in reply to: #825485

User image

Vienna
As suggested, check how hard you are training with a HRM.

And try to "breathe with your belly": your belly should be going out when you inhale (like filling your lungs from the bottom up). This helps in avoiding "stitching". Try to breath slowly and deeply (it can be harder if you are smoker).

I don´t agree in that you should be breathing with your mouth... use nose, and mouth when you need more air.
2007-06-01 11:29 AM

User image

New user

Clinton Twp.,MI.
Thanks all.

I'm going to give these suggestions a try and see if I can get it worked out. I'm not really running at long distances yet. I'm sort of limiting myself to 5 miles right now because of time constraints and the running portion of the race I'm training for is a 3.5 mile wooded trail run. I'm sure it would be a good idea to run farther just for the endurance factor, but I have to have time to bike, too.
I'm told the bike portion of this race is pretty tough.

Cheers!!!

2007-06-03 6:08 AM
in reply to: #821756

User image

Vienna
Hi all!

I did finish my first tri! My goal was 1:45:00 (well, I just wanted to finish) and I finished in 1:34:47. It was exciting and funny (f.e. forgot to put my swimming glasses, did a bit of offroad with the bike) and succesful in the end... so I´m happy.

I already filled in the race report if you want to take a look. I´m really happy with the experience and for sure I will repeat. Sadly I don´t have any pictures to show for the moment, but I will let you know if I get some.

Thanks for the tips and help. There are some things you can only learn by doing them, but having received advice before is really helpful to manage every situation.
2007-06-03 8:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Russell, KS
It sounds you did really well, Pedro. Hopefully I'll see you in September in Nibelugen! Give it a thought...
2007-06-03 8:59 AM

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
OUTSTANDING!!! Great racing!! It's always fun when you execute the plan and achieve the goals you set - even better when you're faster then your goals!!! That's called race magic...

M
2007-06-04 7:18 AM
in reply to: #827083

User image

Vienna

I managed to get some pictures from the official photographers of the event, that you can check in the race report. Pay special attention to my aerodynamic position on the bike :D!!.

Sorry about the quality, but this is how they offer them as preview...

2007-06-04 7:31 AM

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
Hi

Nice Photos!! You need a road bike!!

Good running form - drop your arms a little - try not to cross over the front of your body. Focus should be front and back on the swing - at hip level - it will help propel you forward and help with breathing relaxing the upper body!

Look forward to your next race report!!

Michelle

2007-06-04 8:23 AM

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Nice job on your first Tri, Pedro!

I really liked your race report. You'll definitely feel the difference with a road bike. Smooth tires won't take as much out of you and you'll have alot more left for the run.

Any finish of a first tri is an accomplishment as most folks don't ever step to the starting line. Congrats!
2007-06-04 2:19 PM

User image

New user

Clinton Twp.,MI.
Great job on your Tri, Pedro. It's nice to hear that you did better than expected.
2007-06-04 3:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Russell, KS
You have such good form in the swimming photo. (Just kidding)

You don't look tired at all in the run photos! Great job!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » leapdog's group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 9