General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Plan help Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-01-26 11:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO
Subject: Training Plan help
Hi, I need help developing a training plan. I was looking through the free ones but my big problem is the bike. I don't have one and won't for a long time, maybe not before my tri in august. I tried a spin class, but it was scary. What should I do about the bike? Can I just forget about it and figure it out when I race? I'm a good swimmer and my running is getting much better. Right now my only plan is to run longer each week, and slowly up the speed. I feel comfortable with making my own swim plan. Also, my schedule sucks. I'm in gradschool, but I can work out five days a week for less than an hour. Bricks could only happen one day a week. Any suggestions? Thanks!

2007-01-27 12:35 AM
in reply to: #669507

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: RE: Training Plan help
Well, you should bike before the tri. If you don't like the spin class itself, you can always use the spin bikes when it's not the spin class time or just use the recliner bikes in the gym.

Regarding shedule, alot of people on this board have pretty tough schedules. People on this board have like 10 children, 6 dogs, 2 wives, and work 2 jobs. Just got to plan ahead and manage your time wisely. I sort of like you in that I work full time and attend PT evening grad school at night. I only can get about a 1/2 - 1 hour a day too, but on the weekends, I can get in longer.

I guess it also depends on the distance you are going to do? Is it a sprint or something longer? Does it have a time cutoff?
2007-01-27 11:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO
I'm doing a sprint, but was thinking about overtraining as much as possible and doing and oly next year. Does spin class really do anything for you? I felt like I didn't do anything when on the indoor bikes. Thanks for your help
2007-01-27 1:39 PM

User image

Master
Connecticut

Depending on how you set your tension and cadence, you should be able to get as tough of a work out as you'd like in a spin class (within the time limit, anyway).   They can be a good supplement in Winter or to get you started before you have your bike.

Nonetheless, I'd definitely beg, borrow, or steal yourself a real bike to train on as the weather gets better.  Certain things about handling and riding efficiency will only improve with real time on the road.

2007-01-27 1:58 PM

User image

Master
brummie land
just to be nosey - why was the spin class scary?
2007-01-27 5:45 PM
in reply to: #669676

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
Nothing will be as good of training as the real deal. So, what I mean is, running outside, biking outside in conditions of the race (hilly, etc) and swimming in OW.

But the next best thing is, running on a treadmill or water running (maybe even elliptical), biking on a trainer or roller (or spin class or recliner bike in the gym) and swimming in the pool. These options are better than doing nothing.

If you aren't feeling anything on the gym bikes, you need to either up the tension or stay on it longer.

squishy - 2007-01-27 9:01 AM

I'm doing a sprint, but was thinking about overtraining as much as possible and doing and oly next year. Does spin class really do anything for you? I felt like I didn't do anything when on the indoor bikes. Thanks for your help

2007-01-27 9:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Security, CO
Bronze member
I would seriously think about getting a used bike of any flavor. I bought my first bike at the flea market for $80. There are even cheaper ones around. The thrift store sell old road for $30 - $40 range. These will definitely get you thru sprint distance tri training and even the race if needed.

IMHO, There is no real substitute for seat time.

2007-01-27 10:57 PM
in reply to: #669676

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA

squishy - 2007-01-27 12:01 PM I'm doing a sprint, but was thinking about overtraining as much as possible and doing and oly next year. Does spin class really do anything for you? I felt like I didn't do anything when on the indoor bikes. Thanks for your help

Spin class REALLY does a lot for you.  As others have noted, it's not same as being on the road, but it's better than nothing at all.  The cardio benefit you can derive from spinning is significant.  Also, if you're doing class that calls for a fair amount of "out of saddle" time, you're also going to see significant improvement in leg strength and muscular endurance.

After tearing up my right knee playing soccer, spinning was a huge part of my rehab.  Two things came out of this: 1) I pursued certification so I could teach and 2) I bought a used road/tri bike and started doing a lot of riding.  Over the past 12 months especially, I've noticed that the spinning has very positively complemented my road riding.

So, take it for what it's worth, but spinning can definitely benefit you.  BTW, what's so scary about it?

2007-01-28 6:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte
I don't think forgetting about biking until August is a very good triathlon training plan. Afterall, you will spend the largest percentage of your race on the bike.

I reviewed your log and read about your spin class experience. Sorry that was so disturbing. My advice is find another class (if available) and ask the instructor to help you set up your bike and review how to set the the tension etc. If it was a beginner class, the instructor should have asked if there were any beginners and done these things anyway.. Also, you need to pace yourself. Spin classes can definitely get intense and you have to pace yourself. They are as hard or easy as you make them. Just think of the instructor's instructions as 'suggestions' and you do what you need to do -- it's your class. Unfortunately, you are held hostage to their music selection. Britney Spears -- that is frightening!

Stationery bikes are not ideal but they are better than nothing.

Another option to consider is Aquathon -- no bike needed.

Good luck.
2007-01-28 7:31 AM

User image

Elite
Do spin classes help? One of the instructors at the local Y teaches spin classes 3-4 times a week and he claims it is the only riding he does in the winter months. He has very good bike splits and is training for a HIM in June. Talk to the spin instructors and see if any of them are in to triathlon or what there backgrounds are. You will get completely different classes from different instructors.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Plan help Rss Feed