General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heart rate question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-08-16 9:05 PM

User image

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member
Subject: Heart rate question

My heart rate is giving me grief.  I've done a practical test (didn't use the formulas) and determined my max to be 195.

Today, I ran 7 miles at what I consider to be an nice, easy pace, 10 min/mile.  Within the first 1/2 mile, my heart rate was in the 160's.  It hit peaks of 179 going up some hills, but overall was around 165.  I couldn't seem to make it come down any lower.  Despite this, I wouldn't rate my exertion level as very high at all.  In fact, even at the peak HR for the run at the top of a hill, I was still taking 3 steps breathing in, 4 steps breathing out (I'm normally 4/4 on a slow run).

Does this mean my lungs do a way better job of oxygenating my blood then my heart does moving it around?  Could there be a medical condition that's causing this (I'm reaching here)?  It's frustrating trying to stay in a particular zone when my heart doesn't seem to care how much I'm exerting myself.  It just zooms to between 160 and 180 pretty much no matter what.

2004-08-16 9:31 PM
in reply to: #48865

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO
Subject: RE: Heart rate question
Or, it might be that the monitor isn't sitting properly on you. I've noticed my HRM jumps up to 230+ sometimes (once it hit 280!), and I find that the monitor shiftly somewhat, or there's too much sweat between my skin and monitor. If I slide the monitor left or right just a little bit, it seems to register properly.

Looking at your logs, my first question is how long have you been running? Your HR is definitely higher than mine, but then again, every body responds differently to exercise-stress. My PE 9-10 heartrate is around 170, and my typical 5k race-pace keeps me close to 167. If you're not cranking the speed way up, I suppose it's possible it's medical. How's your BP? Is it toward the high side?

I find it next to impossible to run slower than zone 3. I can do it, but I feel like I'm barely jogging. Zone 4 feels fine for my legs, although anything more than 6 miles, and my times will drop drastically while my HR stays steady.

Have you talked to a running coach, physical therapist or doctor about this?
2004-08-16 10:56 PM

User image

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member
I don't think it's the HRM.  I've been running for about 2 years and my BP is pretty low.
2004-08-17 9:29 AM

Boylston, MA
I have an extremely high heart rate as well (high 160's for a medium-paced run). I asked my regular doctor about it one time and she basically said not to worry about it too much, as really, everyone's different. She said that I may not be as much of a "natural athlete" as many other people out there, but just the fact that I'm out there running is a good step. I also have very high cholesterol and a family history of early heart disease (my father had his first heart attack at age 34) so she's just thrilled she doesn't have to yell at me to exercise more

It might be a good idea to keep a journal/log and mark down your perceived exertion level and HR. Keep track of it over a few months and I bet you'll see it trend downwards, which is more what you want to see than hard numbers, anyway.
2004-08-17 9:44 AM
in reply to: #49049

User image

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member
Already doing that.  The training logs here rock.
2004-08-17 10:37 AM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO
I'd just go with it, then. The heart is a muscle, and there's quite a difference between Arnold's arms and mine. I've read that Lance's heart is larger than 'average' and is like 40% more efficient at pumping blood. I think his resting HR is like 40! As long as you're not having chest pains, or are completely wiped all day from a run, you're probably OK.

2004-08-17 12:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Philadelphia, PA
I just finished reading a great book my Dr. Maffetone called "training for endurance" ...he prescribes the 180 method for you HR and doing the majority of your training under your aerobic max ....one key thing that you might not be doing is warming up properly, hence the sudden jump to the 160's in your first 1/2 mile

try an easy jog for 15-20 minutes and then get going ...also, remember to do the same thing after the run for your cool down

Lance's resting heart rate is like 32 ...mine is down to 47
2004-08-17 1:24 PM

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
Oh, I hear ya! I was running consistently at 175 bpm for over a year. But this summer, I decided that that was still too high, so I went out with the intent of keeping my HR at 150 bpm or lower. I went from 11 min/miles to 17 min/miles! Now, I don't wear my HR monitor while I run, except for maybe once a week or so. The goal when I run now, is to go slow -- slower than my normal pace -- but not to be obsessing over the number.

Having done that for a couple of months, I wore my monitor this past week and was able to run a good pace (closer to 11 min/mile) and keep my HR in the low 160s!

I've also been working on cleaning up my form and making it more effecient, so that helps too.

My advice: slow it down a bit, and keep your stride short with fast foot turnover, and see what that does.

2004-08-17 1:46 PM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN

When I first got my HRM last Oct I could barely walk and the thing was going crazy.  I couldn't keep it in a training zone for anything.  There were days I would be so sick of it beeping at me I took it off and threw it across the room (if on the treadmill).  I also went from running 9 min miles to running 13 min miles (walking fast).  BUT, I stuck with it and now I can run 9 min miles while still keeping my HR under 140 usually around 135.  This equates to about 65% of max.  So although you are finding that it is hard to keep your HR down at your 'normal' pace, I think if you stick with it and not worry about the time/mile you will see improvements.  This was something very hard for me to get used to being that I like to just go and go fast when possible. 

On the flip side, I have yet to do this on the bike.  Right now my bike HR is much, much higher than my run HR.  I know if I would just take it slow and easy, like I did with my running that I would benefit just the same.  However, I still have the competitive side in me that wants to go fast  on the bike.  In the end the HRM is just a tool and you can either use it or not, I got thru 35 years without one and I am still here.  There are still days I go out with out it and go on the RPE scale and days I wear it and it shoots out of my desired range and I turn off the sound.  Sometimes when you want to go.....you go.  My 2 cents.

2004-08-17 1:51 PM

User image

Pro
Helena, MT
I was reading this the other day and thought it might be helpful.... http://personalbestnutrition.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.cgi?board=news;...

Edited by kimj81 2004-08-17 1:54 PM
2004-08-17 3:00 PM

Boylston, MA
Kim - thank you for that article! Very interesting.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heart rate question Rss Feed