General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Staying Focused at Work Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-08-17 12:22 AM

Subject: Staying Focused at Work
What do others do to maintain your focus on the job? As I get more and more into my training, I find that I am having a terribly difficult time staying focused at work. I'm a lawyer, so focus is crucial! I enjoy my job, so my lack of focus is not due to any job dissatisfaction. Although, I do understand that they call it "work" for a reason! It's just that I find myself thinking about my swim training, my new bike (trek 5200, yeah!) or my after-work run too many times throughout the day and this is really becoming a distraction. I was thinking about getting an executive coach or someone of the sort to help me stay focused, but if anyone has any advice, it would be welcome. Thanks!

2004-08-17 12:32 AM
in reply to: #48961

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle, WA
Subject: RE: Staying Focused at Work
I'm in no place to give advice, but I'm in the same boat. I'm a graduate student and having a heck of a time focusing on the computer code or radar images because I keep thinking about my swim stroke or running stride. I don't have the type of consequences as you do for lack of focus, but the more I am distracted, the longer it's going to be until I graduate. Anyway, just wanted to let you know that you're not alone!
2004-08-17 12:39 AM

User image

Salt Lake City
I am with you both. Since training for races, I have more energy, but my mind is in constant motion with swimming splits, intervals planning, and while I have retained the appreciation of work for work sake, I'd be lying if I didn't admit to wanting to train all week long. Maybe what is going on here is our recognition that our priorties as to what was important to us has changed. It would seem satisfaction in life may have less to do with an extra zero on our paycheck, than commitment our time and bodies to personal perfection (kaizan!)
2004-08-17 12:55 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-08-17 6:00 AM
in reply to: #48969

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
LOL! I was thinking the exact same thing as I opened this thread. This site should come with a warning!
2004-08-17 11:11 AM

Master
Chicago

I assume that Lara's Myer Briggs profile has her down as an S and a J. Mine too. When I get to work I log everything that I have to do for that day (sometimes I do it the night before) and then I give myself timelimits. This also works well when I have to quote and then bill clients. As I'm finished I check mark it off. And at the end of the day I look at what hasn't been checked off and try to figure out why. I also log in goof off time. My schedule is very rigid. I set up increments of tw to three hour blocks and I log everything I'm supposed to do in those two hours.

Example:

5 a.m. to 8 a.m.. workout time/sleep on off days/shower change travel time to work.

8 a.m. to 10 a.m.: planning/e-mail checking/phone calls/ meeting set up time any early morning meetings.

During this block I do all the busywork things. I can also set meeting times during this time.

10 a.m. to noon: solid work - editing, writing, client work, managing. No meetins during this time. I block it off my schedule.

noon to 2 p.m. - work, walk, job, run, or exercise or busywork catching up on e-mail, planning races, checking BT etc.

2 p.m. - 4p.m.: solid work, no meetings, managing projects, editing writing, etc.

4 p.m. - 6p.m.: finishing up loose ends, last minute meetings etc.

By blocking off my schedule in two hour increments and sticking to it I find I manage my time better. I even have a nighttime schedule. I get really, really, cranky when people start screwing with my schedule. One time a client of mine from a billion-dollar company wanted to meet at 2 p.m. I told him no that I don't meet during that time so I can get work done. He really was impressed by that and you know that VP now has a meeting cut off on his schedule.

Ovetta.

2004-08-17 11:15 AM

Veteran
Colorado Springs
Exactly the same here, I stare at code for a bit, then start thinking about my bike, even harder when it is sitting behind me, calling to me... any break in my thoughts and it's back the the site... I keep thinking to myself that if I took the plunge and went 100% on training then... damnit, I am so jealous of my brother, he is a pro kayaker, his days are spent in the water, mine ina cubicle...
2004-08-17 1:37 PM

New user
The fact that all of us are replying during work hours suggests a lack of job focus!!!! I just said to myself, ok one more thread then to work and this is the one I opened up! Oh, to be independently wealthy!
2004-08-17 1:51 PM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
Well since my office is closing at the end of August and I will be without a job going forward.....They have me here to 'close' the branch out.  All my employees were let go at the end of July and I am here to...............um, well they really haven't told me but I think to inventory and handle pissed of clients concerns, which there are a lot of.  So I am probably on this site more now in between Monster.com and trying to get a resume together for the first time in 12 years.
2004-08-17 1:57 PM
in reply to: #49276

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-08-17 2:10 PM

Salt Lake City
I like the suggestion of becoming independently wealthy. One more goal for 2005.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Staying Focused at Work Rss Feed