General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How Do I loose Weight while getting stronger? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-08-17 12:26 AM

Subject: How Do I loose Weight while getting stronger?
I have been a triatlete for 1.5 month. I noticed that I get stronger and stronger but for some reason I maintain my weight at the same level. What kind of diet might be useful for me so I will loose weight and keep getting stronger? Thank you.

Edited by Sergeyt98 2004-08-17 12:27 AM

2004-08-17 3:07 PM
in reply to: #48962

User image

Elite Veteran
flatland
Subject: RE: How Do I loose Weight while getting stronger?
It is possible that you are losing fat but gaining some muscle, thereby keeping your weight the same. A good way to keep track of what's acutally happening is to keep track of your body measurements -- chest, bicep, thigh, neck, waist, hips, that sort of thing.

If you're doing bike, running and swimming and you've just started all of these things a month and 1/2 ago, keep at it and give your body time to adjust. Watch what you eat -- keep a food diary to pinpoint things that might be maing a difference (I am always shocked and saddened by how many calories are in a pint of good beer). As you build lean muscle your weight loss should accelerate, but it's not uncommon for people just beginning a strength training program to see their weight stay the same or even go up the first few weeks. Remember that muscle weighs more than fat, and that measurements and the fit of your clothes is infintely more important than what the scale says.

Cheers and good luck
2004-08-21 10:44 PM

New user
West Virginia
Remember, too, that scales are very misleading. A person can "weigh" 200 lbs and be under 7% BF (which would be a very ripped look) or "weigh" 200 lbs and carry 25% BF (be fat looking). You need to stop standing on the scales and go for overall body composition. Mass builds mass, and i am not a believer in "high reps, low weight" to burn fat. Plus, more muscle=higher metabolic rate=more cals burned to maintain where you are. Tri training should help as well, but overall lean body mass is what is most important (though 11% body fat is "neutral bouyancy" making it easier to float while swimming )
2004-08-27 2:16 PM

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
I agree with all the stuff that has been said above. I think the right strategy is just to try to build muscle--not bodybuilding, but making useful muscles. As long as you're exercising, your muscles will eat your fat and you'll end up leaner in the long run, even if you have a weight increase at first.

Also be careful of trying to adhere to ideals. "Ideal" weight doesn't always produce the best performance, especially in endurance sports where fat is important fuel.

-dave
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How Do I loose Weight while getting stronger? Rss Feed