General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Recovery time from gall bladder surgery? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-01-30 11:41 AM

User image

Regular
Lubbock, TX
Subject: Recovery time from gall bladder surgery?

I am going to have my gall bladder removed on Tuesday the 6th, and was wondering what kind of recovery time I am looking at. So if anyone that has had this done can give me some advice I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Wes

2007-01-30 11:48 AM
in reply to: #672792

User image

ABI TX
Subject: RE: Recovery time from gall bladder surgery?
they told me to take it easy for about two weeks (i.e. no harsh workouts). then slowly get back into things. Just dont strain to do things, you know? It also all depends on if they do the lyproscopy or if they're gonna give you the two inch cut. i had lypro. thats a fast healer. the two inch cut,, not as fast. Ask your doc too. They'll have a better idea of when you can get back into things depending on which type of surgery. just make sure to mention how hard you work out. (duh right?) Good luck with your surgery!
2007-01-30 1:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Tampa, FL

Had my gallbladder out Dec 13th (lapro, thank goodness), ran the Disney 1/2 marathon Jan 6th.

It is really up to you and your doc how fast you recover. Mine recommended 1 week of complete rest, followed by a week of slowly resuming activity (I did a LOT of walking, and a little bit of running). In HIS opinion, the wounds are healed well enough after 14 days that you can resume full activity.

However, he did warn me it would be painful and it is, your ab muscles will hurt where the incisions were made. This is a dull pain and it is not even close to the pain I would routinely get from the gallstones. I still have days when I have pain in the abs and I have to take it easy, usually this means some quick walk breaks and some more running. It took me at least 3 weeks before I could reach above my head pain free so swimming may not be possible for a little while.

I would recommend if you can do so without pain to keep your fitness level high until the surgery (I ran a 1/2 marathon 2 days before surgery), so you don't lose too much fitness in the 2 weeks off.

Also, it was the best decision I ever made. I have run 10 1/2 marathons and Disney was the first in which I didn't suffer from nausea/upper right quadrant pain. The surgery is a MAJOR abdominal procedure so plan some time off, but it is a routine surgery and you will hopefully bounce back very quickly! Crossing my fingers yours is lapro and all goes well!

Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions!
2007-01-30 4:05 PM

User image

Elite
Evans, GA
2007-01-30 5:54 PM

User image

Regular
Lubbock, TX

Thanks for all of the info you guys. It helps a lot to have an idea what I can expect, and the Dr. is expecting to be able to do my operation lapro.

2007-01-30 9:54 PM
in reply to: #673399

User image

ABI TX
Good luck with the surgery! I think the worst part (for me) was getting the IV placed and then the waking up with a SERIOUSLY dry throat. You'll be groggy for a day or two and then you'll be rarin' to go after that. Best wishes!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Recovery time from gall bladder surgery? Rss Feed