General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Cyclist turning to Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-01-30 11:55 PM

St Louis, MO
Subject: Cyclist turning to Tri
Hi everyone, just wanted to say thank you for this forum and all of its info. I have a few questions though right from the start....

I have been racing road/mt bikes for the last 6yrs (cat3/expert) and have worked in shops (bike) for almost a decade. My cycling will obviously be the strong event for me, but I am curious how to go about getting into the running? (i have a decent base of swimming in the off-season of racing so I am happy with that as well). My problem is that I dont run at all....I cant even remember the last time I ran, but this is the challenge I am looking for, so this is why I have decided to give tri a whirl (sorry i couldnt bring myself to say "try").

Basically im trying to figure out if I should consider myself a newbie and start out from scratch, or consider myself somewhat capable and start at a more "intermediate" level.....

My goal at the moment (without much logical thought to it) is a half coming up in the middle of June. I might try a sprint in April to see how it goes, but road racing starts in late Feb, so I dont know how the schedule works out.

Doug

2007-01-31 9:24 AM
in reply to: #673650

User image

Expert
searching for the elusive runner's high!
Subject: RE: Cyclist turning to Tri
Hi and welcome to BT. I am not sure I can help you much except to share what I have read. For anyone not used to running, it is recommended (by running books and websites) that you start off with a run/walk program. It involves running for a few minutes and then walking for one minute, then running again for another few minutes and walking for one - you do this until you gradually work up to running the entire distance.

You can try this to assess your running fitness. This program works even if you can run for 15 minutes and then walk for 30 seconds. It just helps your body gradually build up to do the distance. Of course, if you can run for longer, then go for it. You should be able to run at a slow, steady pace for the entire distance of your race (even a little more) before trying it in a race.

It sounds like you have a good base in swimming and your cycling is excellent but I would definitely advise working on the running in advance and go slowly if you can't make it as far as you think you should. If you can run without any fatigue, then work on some bricks to get your legs used to the transition. I hope this helps and good luck!
2007-01-31 9:32 AM

New user
I'm new to tri's but have been running a few years. Invest in a good pair of running shoes, put in a few miles and see how you feel. As a general rule I wouldn't increase your weekly mileage by more than 10 to 15% or you may pay the price - especially if you are older. Listen to your body and see where you end up.
2007-01-31 9:41 AM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA

Welcome Redline...like you, I'm coming from more of a cycling background (prior to that was competitive soccer, some mtb for fun), though nothing that compares to cat3/expert level.

This said, from talking to people who're experienced IM'ers and every distance in between, many have suggested incorporating training time dedicated to bike/run, brick-type intervals.  For example, spin/cycle for 5-10 minutes, get off and run for 5-10, rinse, repeat...do this anywhere from 5-10x...basically, anytime you ride, throw in a run at the end.  If you go on a long training ride, throw in a short run immediately after stopping.  Going from the bike to the run can apparently be a pretty eye-opening experience.  Having not done a tri yet (first - sprint - is in April) but seeing the results (AG series winner, for example) some of these guys have attained, I trust their advice...and so far I'm seeing the truth in their words....

HTH

Edited by LHablas 2007-01-31 9:42 AM
2007-01-31 9:52 AM

User image

Cleveland, Ohio
Hello!

Welcome to Tri world - I agree with the other 2 posters - I would also invest in a heart rate monitor - as a cat 3 cyclist - you have a good cycling base - starting out I would also say try and stay on softer surfaces (like trails) will help get your legs used to a different kind of pounding. Hook up with a local running group -it does help to have support. Start off easy - see if you can run 1-2 miles to start - time them - running easy - then you will have at least a base line. Running is like cycling - you need a good base before doing speed, interval or hill workouts. Good Luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Cyclist turning to Tri Rss Feed