General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running in the Cold Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-01-31 10:07 PM

New user

Subject: Running in the Cold
I'm new to the running game, but I'm excited as a new puppy to hit the road in the thickest of snowstorms. I dress pretty well (although I have to hit a hot shower immediately when I get in otherwise I get some serious shakes) and feel great when I'm running. But I'm warned constantly -- mostly by non-runners -- that I should cover my mouth when I run and be wary of "breathing that cold air."

Should running and breathing the "cold air" be something I'm worried about... even if I'm not feeling adverse effects? Would it help if I cover my mouth with a scarf (or something comparable) when I'm running? Or is this no different than going skiing/snowboarding?

P.S. I just finished my first goal of 60 miles running in January -- my longest ever! I'm very excited. I write about it in my blog, Iron G in 2015 at http://irong2015.blogspot.com.Please stop by soon and we'll catch up!

2007-01-31 10:59 PM
in reply to: #674941

Master
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: RE: Running in the Cold
Welcome to the forum and congrats on a nice, healthy addiction.

I'm in NYC and run in the cold (20F), on a regular basis. The only time I cover my entire face and only for a few minutes is in my 5:00AM runs when the temps are in the teens with high humidty. I use a balaclava (aka ninja hood), but fold it up (it turns into a winter hat), as I warm up (usually after 1 mile).

I recently ran a 1/2 marathon in 20F temps and noticed about 2 people of the 4,000 present had anything covering their mouths.
One thing I noticed is you get warned mostly from "non-runners", probably the same people that think you are nuts for running in the first place.

Make sure you are near a place where you can either stay warm (like home), after your run or have a quick change of clothes so the sweat doesn't get to you. As long as you are feeling good during your run and keep your core warm, you should be OK. Hope this helps.

May you have many injury-free miles.
2007-02-01 7:13 AM

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN

I just finished running a 1/2 Mary this past saturday.  The air temp was around 5 degrees and the windchill was about -15 to -20 below.  I do not run with something covering my face, but there were plenty of people who did...I think it is all a matter of personal choice...try it out, if you like it, keep doing it

2007-02-01 7:50 AM
in reply to: #675115

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
benihana - 2007-02-01 8:13 AM

I just finished running a 1/2 Mary this past saturday. The air temp was around 5 degrees and the windchill was about -15 to -20 below. I do not run with something covering my face, but there were plenty of people who did...I think it is all a matter of personal choice...try it out, if you like it, keep doing it

That's good advice. When it's cold I usually run with a gaiter over my nose and mouth until I warm up. That's to prevent an asthma flareup, though. Experiment and see what works for you.
2007-02-01 7:57 AM

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
I've been running in the cold for many years and I've never covered my mouth. I enjoy the cool air and as long as the rest of my body stays warm I have no problem with it. I'll where a stocking hat sometimes till I warm up but that often comes off as well.
2007-02-01 9:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Northeast
I've trained outdoors throughout the winters for countless years - and I live in Upstate, NY. You do need to be careful about moisture, but if you're healthy (i.e., if you're not fighting a cold, or just getting over one) then you should be fine... If it's significantly below freezing (< 20* or so) I'll cover my mouth and nose just to keep warm.

You should check out my latest blog entry...

2007-02-01 9:20 AM
in reply to: #675264

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

There is absolutely no documentation that breathing in really cold air is damaging to your body.  So covering your face/mouth is really a personal comfort thing.

I know lately in the past few weeks it has been really damn cold here in Maryland, so I've been using this fleecey neck muffler thing I got from the last marathon I did (it was one of the primes along with a pair of gloves and a fleecey blanket) and it just covers my chin unless I pull it up, then it covers my mouth.  It has worked well.

The only thing different I've done this year than last otherwise was to get a pair of mittens instead of the usual fingered gloves.  The fingerred ones were just getting too cold and I'd end up pulling my fingers out of the finger part and curling them up into my palm to keep warm.  This morning I ran with the mittens and my hands were actually toasty.

Edited by Daremo 2007-02-01 9:25 AM
2007-02-01 10:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ottawa, Ontario
I've been running all winter with no face cover in temps down to -20 C. No problem yet. I wear a balaclava and pull it down to cover the skin on my face when it is really cold, but not over my mouth.

Note - I've never heard anyone warn skiers to cover their mouths and we work just as hard as runners and often for longer times/distances. I too think this is a myth cooked up by non-outdoor exercise types who think we are crazy.

D
2007-02-01 11:05 AM

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI

This is a quirky article but nevertheless gets to the root of the question by the OP...

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267-269-7442-0,00.html

Bottom line...running in the cold is fine.  Your body will warm the air nicely before hitting your lungs.  Extreme temperatures can apparently cause a burning sensation in the airways leading to the lungs.  Apparently this is due to the dryness of the air, and a balaclava or scarf over the mouth in these conditions helps trap moisture.

Disclaimer:  All according to the above linked article. 

Anecdotally, I've run for years in all kinds of <10-degree temperatures and never had a problem.  Around zero degrees my balaclava typically goes up over my mouth, but that's for my own personal comfort, not due to anything lung or breathing related.

2007-02-01 2:23 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, Washington

Only one run did I wish I had something over my face for the first mile or so, but after that point I'd warmed up enough to be comfy.

Not sure if this is a hijack or not, but the reason I have not used anything over my mouth is that I thought it would get wet and freeze.  Those of you who use it, is this a problem?

2007-02-01 2:32 PM
in reply to: #675854

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI
c_cic - 2007-02-01 2:23 PM

Only one run did I wish I had something over my face for the first mile or so, but after that point I'd warmed up enough to be comfy.

Not sure if this is a hijack or not, but the reason I have not used anything over my mouth is that I thought it would get wet and freeze.  Those of you who use it, is this a problem?

Good question, and yes, that is a small problem.   Last week I had a long run and it was about 7 degrees out.  I had a hoodie sorta thing on that was loose enough where I could move it over my mouth, or push it below my chin.  Early in the run I kept flip/flopping as I was into/out of the wind.  I could feel it frosting up around the edges, but nowhere near my breathing area.  The problem came in when I bunched it under my chin for an extended period of time.  When I went to pull it up and over, it was frozen into it's "bunched up" state.  Took a few minutes for my breath to thaw it back out and make it adjustable.  So, as I stated, small problem.  Bigger problem is keeping water in the fuel belt from freezing.

2007-02-01 2:48 PM
in reply to: #675870

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
morey1 - 2007-02-01 1:32 PM

... Bigger problem is keeping water in the fuel belt from freezing.

On my long run last weekend, my water bottle spout froze. At least it didn't seal over until the run was almost done. I've also spent lots of time in the cold, running recently and skiing, etc. when I was younger, and I've never worn anything over my mouth.

2007-02-01 6:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Montreal
I live in Montreal, run all winter long , and I only cover my face if I'm worried about frostbite.

2007-02-01 6:09 PM
in reply to: #675897

User image

Veteran
Montreal
Micawber - 2007-02-01 3:48 PM

morey1 - 2007-02-01 1:32 PM

... Bigger problem is keeping water in the fuel belt from freezing.

On my long run last weekend, my water bottle spout froze. At least it didn't seal over until the run was almost done. I've also spent lots of time in the cold, running recently and skiing, etc. when I was younger, and I've never worn anything over my mouth.

I hate it when that happens.
2007-02-01 10:08 PM

New user

Wow: this is really great. I really appreciate the great load of responses. It will certainly make me feel more confident running in the cold (and throw away that "it's too cold" excuse for not running).

I too have experienced the frozen mouth cover. The other day I tried to run with a scarf covering my mouth, but within minutes I essentially had slush against my lips. And I think breathing in ice particles is probably a little more unhealthy than mere cold air.

I do, however, have a problem with keeping my core warm. I've stayed close to home with winter-running, so I've been able to get inside and in a hot shower right away. But if I don't get under hot water, I get some serious shakes. I typically wear a shirt or two with a fleece jacket (it's quality), running tights, pants and other appropriate attire like hat, mittens, etc.

Is there anything else I can do to improve core temperature? Like drink hot tea before I leave? ;-)

Visit me at Iron G in 2015.
2007-02-02 10:36 AM
in reply to: #676317

User image

Regular
Cleveland, OH
IronG2015 - 2007-02-01 10:08 PM

I do, however, have a problem with keeping my core warm. I've stayed close to home with winter-running, so I've been able to get inside and in a hot shower right away. But if I don't get under hot water, I get some serious shakes. I typically wear a shirt or two with a fleece jacket (it's quality), running tights, pants and other appropriate attire like hat, mittens, etc.

Visit me at Iron G in 2015.

While, it's still not perfect, I used to have a lot of trouble keeping my core temp up. Interestingly, I found the biggest difference for me came in wearing more on the bottom. Like better insulated running tights, or long underwear under a pair of not-so-tight insulated running pants. Or have you tried warming up a sports drink and bringing it with you? I've heard that can help, but haven't tried it yet - going to this weekend.

2007-02-02 10:44 AM
in reply to: #676317

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI

IronG2015 - 2007-02-01 10:08 PM Wow: this is really great. I really appreciate the great load of responses. It will certainly make me feel more confident running in the cold (and throw away that "it's too cold" excuse for not running). I too have experienced the frozen mouth cover. The other day I tried to run with a scarf covering my mouth, but within minutes I essentially had slush against my lips. And I think breathing in ice particles is probably a little more unhealthy than mere cold air. I do, however, have a problem with keeping my core warm. I've stayed close to home with winter-running, so I've been able to get inside and in a hot shower right away. But if I don't get under hot water, I get some serious shakes. I typically wear a shirt or two with a fleece jacket (it's quality), running tights, pants and other appropriate attire like hat, mittens, etc. Is there anything else I can do to improve core temperature? Like drink hot tea before I leave? ;-) Visit me at Iron G in 2015.

For cold weather (  <10-degrees ) I usually wear...

2 long sleeve dri-fit type shirts, then a big fleece hoody, then a jacket that is an outer shell.  Not a lined jacket.  The same material that wind pants are made of.  On the bottom I wear tights and or sweats, and lined wind pants over them. 

I'm guessing, but what I think you need to make sure of is that your exterior is completely covered with the nylon, or "wind-pant" matierial.  I've found with layers and then that on the outside, I literally can't even feel the outside air anywhere on my body.  Not the most "breathable" alternatives and there may be expensive options that I'm not using, but I ran 2.5 hours the other morning in 8-degree weather, and I felt none of the outside air, and was plenty warm the entire time.  Good Luck.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running in the Cold Rss Feed