General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello Everyone. Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-01-06 8:50 AM

Subject: Hello Everyone.
Cool site you have here Ron. I really like the training log and the race reports.

Last year I spent many many hours increasing my knowledge about fitness and nutrition. I find myself at the beginning of 2004 in the best shape of my life and with the tools to improve upon that.

One of my new year's resolutions this year is to complete an Olympic distance triathlon.

I joined a swim masters program and have been swimming three times a week for an hour since the week of christmas. I can run 3 miles on a whim right now without too much effort. I haven't ever biked much but can do 10 miles at an easy pace. So, I think I am in pretty good shape to complete a race mid-year.

Right now, I am going to focus my efforts on swimming for a few reasons:
1) to lose some fat (cardio workout)
2) because it is my weakests segment right now
3) I am paying money for the masters program and I might as well use it to its fullest

I plan to run and bike at least once a week. In a month or two, I will step up the running and biking (especially the biking) and perhaps tone down the swimming a bit. I also lift weights twice a week in order to maintain the muscle mass that I built in 2003.

Well that is my introduction. Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

My eventual goal is to complete a 1/2 ironman...

I can't even comprehend doing a full one at this time, b/c I ran a full marathon (4:12) in late 2001 and can't imagine trying to do that after swimming 2 miles and biking 100.. jeez those guys are NUTS!! he he, maybe some day.. .

Edited by ssyba 2004-01-06 8:52 AM

2004-01-06 9:18 AM
in reply to: #3243

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Subject: RE: Hello Everyone.
Welcome Scott! Congrats on turning your health and fitness around. One comment I have is that the swim is the shortest part of the race and I would start doing bike and run more than once a week.
2004-01-06 6:28 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
Welcome to the board and Sounds like you are well on your way to achieving your goals.

2004-01-07 6:59 AM

User image

Expert
New Port Richey
Welcome to the site, I understand about wanting to use your masters swim time since you already paid for it. I suggest that you do start the running and biking on your off days of swimming. Especially biking since that is your last experience.
2004-01-07 7:13 AM

thanks for the comments and suggestions.

I don't have a gym membership, so getting the running and biking time in will be semi-dependent on the weather.
2004-01-07 9:16 AM

User image

Champion
Gold member
thanx for the kudos and looks like youn hav a great plan to ween in the various sports...good call on doing the masters swim to focus on your week event...the last thing u want is to be breathless as you crawl out of the water about to bike and run.

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello Everyone. Rss Feed