General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2 bike-related questions, por favor... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-02-01 10:45 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Subject: 2 bike-related questions, por favor...
I'm going to be 42, 6'3", 165 lbs, inseam is around 35-5/8", and am starting to train for my 1st tri which is held in Sept. I have 2 questions:

1). I asked a Trek rep at a Trek store about road bikes and he was leading me to a 2006 clearance Trek 5000 (full carbon). I was asking about road "feel" on an aluminum vs. carbon since the road's are not that great here in Wisconsin (lots of cracks, bumps, etc.). The rep stated that the carbon would feel more "dead" when riding, indicating that the bike would "absorb" more of the impacts more than the aluminum.
Question: A). Is that true? B). Justification to go with an aluminum vs. carbon (obviously, cost) bike? C). With my size, is there an "optimal" bike frame size, along with top tube length I should strive for?

2). My engineer friend, who has been doing tri's for almost 20 years, is speaking to me about crank lengths. The stock size is usually around 170 - 180 mm. My friend wants to test me within a couple of weeks and have me try different crank lengths (starting at 175/180 mm and move up to an "optimal") to see if there is better efficiency and power with me going with longer cranks (I don't know about all the other geometry features and sizing yet. I'm thinking that, with all things being equal on a bike, he'd adjust for my proper knee angle on the extension at least.) Yes, we'll be watching for foot/toe to front tire distance, turning angle, and length of ground to bottom bracket/frame distance, and if there will be any knee discomfort. I hope to report my findings after the test within 2 to 3 weeks, hopefully.
Question: Thoughts about longer crank size?

Thanks for your feedback, everyone, and keep training happily! I appreciate your comments.

2007-02-01 12:18 PM
in reply to: #675471

User image

Veteran
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: RE: 2 bike-related questions, por favor...

I can't help with the Crank length issue. 

But I have a Trek 5200 and it is a comfortable ride.  I'm 6'3" and 210 pds.  I used to have an aluminum bike and I wouldn't ride it because it was just too uncomfortable. The streets of Brooklyn are as chewed up as you can get. 

I also have a Cannondale carbon/ aluminum frame that is very comfortable. The amount of time you spend riding and being properly fitted will make a big difference in your comfort level. Or I should say It made a big difference in my comfort level.

I say buy as much bike as you can reasonably afford.

1stTimeTri - 2007-02-01 11:45 AM I'm going to be 42, 6'3", 165 lbs, inseam is around 35-5/8", and am starting to train for my 1st tri which is held in Sept. I have 2 questions: 1). I asked a Trek rep at a Trek store about road bikes and he was leading me to a 2006 clearance Trek 5000 (full carbon). I was asking about road "feel" on an aluminum vs. carbon since the road's are not that great here in Wisconsin (lots of cracks, bumps, etc.). The rep stated that the carbon would feel more "dead" when riding, indicating that the bike would "absorb" more of the impacts more than the aluminum. Question: A). Is that true? B). Justification to go with an aluminum vs. carbon (obviously, cost) bike? C). With my size, is there an "optimal" bike frame size, along with top tube length I should strive for? 2). My engineer friend, who has been doing tri's for almost 20 years, is speaking to me about crank lengths. The stock size is usually around 170 - 180 mm. My friend wants to test me within a couple of weeks and have me try different crank lengths (starting at 175/180 mm and move up to an "optimal" to see if there is better efficiency and power with me going with longer cranks (I don't know about all the other geometry features and sizing yet. I'm thinking that, with all things being equal on a bike, he'd adjust for my proper knee angle on the extension at least.) Yes, we'll be watching for foot/toe to front tire distance, turning angle, and length of ground to bottom bracket/frame distance, and if there will be any knee discomfort. I hope to report my findings after the test within 2 to 3 weeks, hopefully. Question: Thoughts about longer crank size? Thanks for your feedback, everyone, and keep training happily! I appreciate your comments.

2007-02-01 12:39 PM
in reply to: #675638

Elite
Laurium, MI

honestly if you haven't ridden a lot of other frames, you won't be able to tell if the frame is 'alive' or 'dead'.  It would have to be at one extreme or the other for you to feel it.  In general, the carbon will be better for rougher roads, so yes, it will be more comfy.

Crank length is a weird issue and you will get as many different answers as there are riders.  Some claim that for taller people, longer cranks give better power economy.  Others counter that by saying you get the same power at a lower turnover, which is rougher on the legs and makes the run harder.  It will make a bigger difference in someone who has a lot of training in and is looking for an extra edge.

I'd ride the stock cranks for now.  The most important thing is to just get on the bike and ride.  After you put some time in, you can start making decisions as to what parts you want to swap to match your style.

2007-02-01 12:46 PM

User image

Expert
lake forest, California
I cant tell you anything about crank lengths or if the TREK is a "dead" ride-  I can add though that I ride a TREK 5200 and LOVE the ride. I'm 6-1 and now 180#, ride a 60 cm and have had great sucess on the bike. Its comfortable, well built and handles realy well. Good luck on your purchase
2007-02-01 1:04 PM

Online or Offline

As far as crank length and toe clearance from your front tire, I don't think that on a road bike, toe clearance won't necessarily be an issue. On my bike (a custom fitted Guru), I have A LOT of toe overlap on my tire if I crank my handlebars into a sharp turn. Rarely when I am making a sharp turn though, is my foot in the way of the tire - I just don't have my pedals anywhere near a 3 and 9 o'clock position, they're out of the way - closer to a 12 and 6 o'clock position.

Maybe if one is very new to riding a bike, it will become an issue, but for the most part, I think it is instinctual to NOT have your feet in the way of the tire.

Most of your riding will more than likely not require sharp turns. So with crank length, your foremost concern will be power development.

Regarding carbon and aluminum, I rode an aluminum frame on the crappy roads out here in the Boston suburbs for 2 years. Our roads SUCK. My 3rd year riding/training on the same pathetic roads was on a carbon frame and there was a substantial difference in the quality of the ride.  

2007-02-01 2:01 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
1) Carbon should absorb more road noise as the material can be engineered to be more compliant vertically and stiff horizontally - leading to good power transfer but more comfort. However, there are good and bad bikes in all frame materials - ride a bunch of different bikes to find what works for you.

2) As for the crank length, I would ride the stock cranks for now - I'm tall as well and have my road bike with 170's and tribike with 175's (I think - it might be 172.5's) but I can't tell any difference.

Shane

2007-02-01 2:34 PM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
I haven't ridden enough different frames to comment on those. I'm just over 6'2" though and both my old mtn.bike and my newer road bike came with 175 cranks. Maybe it's just what I'm used to but I have no problem spinning them at higher rpms. I was curious about trying longer cranks too but haven't wanted to buy an extra set yet, just to experiment. I'd like to hear about your findings.
2007-02-01 3:07 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

The Trek 5200 is a different bike than the 5000. I think the 5000 is very entry level and possibly a lower end carbon too (though don't quote me on that). Anyway, I think you'd do better looking at the bike componets and fit than the bike material.

Good luck and post pics when you get the bike.

Jen

2007-02-02 12:07 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Some good info so far. Thanks to those that responded. I'm hoping for additional responses.
2007-02-02 12:30 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

1. A) possibly, but other elements besides frame material impact the "feel" of the ride (e.g., fit, tire pressure, etc.) B) personally frame material would be low down on my list when choosing a bike (e.g. fit, cost, components all rank higher) C) you should get a professional fitting to figure out which bike and which size frame you should ride (this will have a much bigger impact on the "feel" of the ride than Al vs. carbon vs. steel...)

2.  Let the fitter select this for you (probably stay "standard" in the 170-175 range), but as others suggested it's not clear that crank size makes much difference at the end of the day for most riders.

2007-03-07 1:27 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Subject: A decision was made!! RE: 2 bike-related questions, por favor...

Alright, I finally took some of the advice provided, spent some cash, and did a fitting (285 minus 75 refunded back upon bike purchase).

First, let me say that Craig Watson from ChronoMetro here in Madison, WI is a fantastic, knowledgable, and customer-service oriented person regarding fittings/measurements. Craig didn't try to sell me a bike when we met. Craig wanted to make sure that I was measured and fitted first and then documented, so as to provide a template for any bike that I would be interested in. Craig even recommended that I not purchase a bike from them, so that I would weigh out my options. Additionally, he would recommend a suitable bike, if necessary, if the measuring/fit didn't work for the models they offered. Craig took the time and provided a lot of detailed information of what he was doing while he was doing the fitting. I liked that, and felt that he deserved my service.

Well, I found a bike, and in 7 to 8 days from today, Wed. 3/7, 2007, will be getting it and I can't wait!!!!!!! I bought the Cervelo P2 SL - http://www.cervelo.com/bikes.aspx?bike=P2SL2007
but wait, it isn't your ordinary P2 SL - "There will be a limited edition of the P2 SL available in red. Please contact your Cervélo dealer as soon as possible, because once they are gone, they are gone forever."

That's right, I got the RED one ("the bear" would be ecstatic)!!!

I hope the picture I attached from Cervelo's website comes through. When it finally get to bring it home (kind of like bringing my 3 sons home from the hospital when they were born), I'll see if a friend of mine will let me use their digital and take some pics.

Now, on to figuring out the wetsuit later, and GETTING ON TO TRAINING!!!!

Thanks, everyone, and keep smiling!

(P2SL_red_big.png)

Attachments
----------------
P2SL_red_big.png (75KB - 22 downloads)

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2 bike-related questions, por favor... Rss Feed