General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Another closet beginner - Metro Detroit, MI area Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-02-02 8:57 AM

Master
Subject: Another closet beginner - Metro Detroit, MI area
Hello!

I've been throwing around the idea of training for a triathlon for the past couple of years and finally took this plunge. I joined BT, am a member of UTTRIMAN's beginner group, and began training in early January! I'm planning on competing in the Motor City Tri sprint on June 24th and possibly the Grand Haven Festival of Races sprint on July 8th. I'm also going to enter the Hanson's 5K on March 31st.

I've told a few friends and co-workers but haven't mentioned this to my family yet. They already think I'm crazy for some of the things I do and interests I have (snowboarding, hockey, skydiving...even switching to organic foods!). I figure I'll let them know once I've got a few months of training under my belt.

I am a total beginner when it comes to swimming, but have gotten into the water and picked up some basics just by watching other swimmers at Lifetime. To date, I'm able to swim 150 meters without stopping and am steadily working towards building my endurance. My goal for February is to swim 300 meters without having to break.

I have a mountain bike and originally thought it would be ok for my first year...but I am beginning to think that it will be necessary to purchase a road or tri bike. Let me know what you guys think.

I hate running on the treadmill....but not much you can do when the streets are filled with snow and/or covered in ice!

Overall...I'm totally excited. I love this site and know that I would have given up already if I didn't have a group of people out there watching out for me and keeping an eye on my training!

2007-02-02 2:09 PM
in reply to: #676638

Master
Charlotte, NC
Subject: RE: Another closet beginner - Metro Detroit, MI area

Welcome to BT!!! 

Sounds like with your other interests you are definitely nuts enough to do a Tri and you'll fit in well at BT. 

I'm brand new to the sport too, started training for a 5k last summer and then a sprint tri program in December.  You'll be amazed at how fast you build up your endurance and performance by following a plan.  Use your logs on here, you'll get lots of inspires, and you'll be able to track your performance. 

As for a bike, if you do decide to get one (I did) go with a road bike to start.  Everyone I knew into tri's steered me away from a tri bike as a newbie.  So did all the local bike stores.  With a road bike you can ride better in groups and have better control of your bike (brakes, balance, etc).  You can always just put slick tires on your mountain bike for your first 1 or 2 races if you aren't sure about the purchase.

Other's might disagree, but that's the advice I got when I purchased.  If I start doing HIM or IM races then a Tri bike might be more appropriate. 

Cheers and welcome aboard!!!

2007-02-03 9:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Laval, Quebec

Well with the mountain bike, you can get outside a little bit earlier, and not have to worry so much about all the crap left on the streets when the snow starts to melt away.

I have an old hybrid and plan to upgrade some of the components like peddles, gears, etc...  I told myself if I do the first few tri's of the summer then I will invest in something more before the last one in September.  That way I will have time to play with it before the snow hits, and will know that it will not just be another relic in the garage.

Heck, I could do it on a tricycle and my times probably would not change that much.  Not now anyway.

Now the question is, how do I go to the LBS to buy components and NOT walk out with a brand new bike?

Good Luck on your new "crazy" hobby.

2007-02-04 1:39 PM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL
Welcome to the insane asylum BT and Happy Training to you.
2007-02-05 10:59 AM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

Welcome to BT!!!  Glad you're taking the plunge into tri; and good luck trying to hide the training from your family for a couple months. Heh.

I'm also from MI, Detroit area...we've got a pretty active crew in Michigan, especially when race season cranks up.  There are some fantastic events locally, especially for first timers (look into Big Fish, it's a perfect 'first tri' race).  We also get together for training when schedules work for us, sometimes at Stony, Kensington, or Pinckney...keep your eye on the Michigan forum for specifics!!

Enjoy the swimming at LTF, too...it's a life saver in the cold temperatures.  I'm there 5 times a week - or more - til it thaws.  Hope you have fun digesting all the knowledge on the site...best of luck throwing together a plan, and beginning a lifetime of tri-gear accumulation.   

2007-03-01 1:40 PM

User image

Champion
Michigan
welcome to BT!! we have a ton of fun goofing off training, i will try and let you know when we get together, for a swim, bike, run or just food

2007-03-01 3:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Detroit, Michigan

welcome to bt!

i did motor city as my first tri last year and rode my mountain bike. i didn't get a new bike until last week because i wanted to make sure that i was really into the tri thing. and there were a lot of people on mountain bikes at motor city! if you decide to stay with the mountain bike, just put some road tires on it. it will help speed and costs very little!

2007-03-07 7:47 PM

User image

Champion
Michigan
hello, we are planning a group run at kensington metro park in brighton, sunday, 9.  no one will be dropped, i'm training sooper slow for a 100 mile race i have coming up in a few weeks.  come along, it'll be good times pm me or check the bt michigan race forum for more info.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Another closet beginner - Metro Detroit, MI area Rss Feed