BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mentors! UPDATE Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2007-02-03 11:33 AM

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: Mentors! UPDATE

I have officially closed down the accepting of new mentors and will not be updating the 'New Mentor' list for the duration of this program.

If you are a mentor with a group that could use more people, you can use the   button in your FIRST thread/post to change your status from 'Full' to 'Open' and vice versa.  New people will be able to browse the forum and look for 'Open' groups.

*You can certainly take on more than 5 people if you can handle it, that was just a recommendation.

HAVE YOU LOST A MENTOR?

To some, this may happen, a lot can change in a persons life over 4 months and the mentor need to do what is needed to keep their life on track.  I hope we all can understand this.

So if you find yourself without a mentor, either look through the forums for 'Open' designations or PM a group leader yourself, I'm sure most will be accommodating to a new or transferred member.

2007-02-03 9:14 PM
in reply to: #678075

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL
Subject: RE: Mentors! UPDATE
Hey Ron,
How's Akron, Ohio? I'm in MarkQuiet's group now, was in Danielle's but she had to drop out as a mentor. I live in Florida now but grew up in Tallmadge and worked in Akron. Was up there last year and went to an Aero's game - great little stadium. I played basketball at Akron U. and now after years of sitting on my duff, I've ventured out to become a triathlete. I'm glad to see my old stomping grounds still has some folks left up there.

I'm not sure if you're in charge of these groups or not, but its great being in a group and getting feedback and encouragement from people who have "been there and done that." Thanks for what you're doing!

Tara
2007-02-03 10:51 PM
in reply to: #678450

User image

Champion
Gold member

Akron, Ohio is very cold right now...

Florida...whereabouts?  I make it down there a few times a year to see the inlaws.  I find it hilarious that a lot of the Florida from Ohio people (my inlaws) so quickly lose their frame of reference and need to shut the doors and turn on the heat when it's mid 60's.

I hope that hasn't happened to you. 

If so, you can come up for a visit anytime in the next month and we can reacquaint you with all that you're missing.

2007-02-04 8:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL
Ya, I've been watching the weather - brings back memories of using cigarette lighters to deice my car doors and my nostrils sticking together when I breathed in....Florida ain't so cold after all!!

I'm in north central Fla (about 40 miles from all the destruction) in Citrus County (Crystal River, Lecanto, Homosassa Springs - where the manatees are). I'm about an hour from Clermont which I think is the national training headquarters for triathlons which is pretty cool. In fact, in April they have a couple of Super Sprints that look like a great way to get my feet wet.

I lived in Naples for nearly 20 years but it got too big so we moved "north." My hubby and I love the hills and more "northern" feel where we are now, plus we're just 1 hour from Tampa and Orlando which is good.

Where do your folks live?

Tara
2007-02-08 12:45 PM

User image

Master
MidWest

Ron,

We just got an email from Trimom217 that she is dropping out as our mentor.  I feel a little weird looking for a new group now since everybody has gotten settled in.  Any ideas?  I think I'll be ok since I live with McFuzz and some of his mentoees check on me pretty regularly but it was nice to have someone from outside our 4 walls to keep me honest.

Beth

2007-02-08 7:04 PM
in reply to: #684142

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
Ya wanna join the Whizzzzzz Posse????

2007-02-09 7:31 AM
in reply to: #684599

User image

Master
MidWest

Whizzzzz - 2007-02-08 7:04 PM Ya wanna join the Whizzzzzz Posse????

I would be honored!!!

2007-02-09 9:31 AM
in reply to: #684142

User image

Champion
Gold member

YEAH, it sounds like you found a group which is great.  To others, this may happen, a lot can change in a persons life over 4 months and the mentor need to do what is needed to keep their life on track.

So if you find yourself without a mentor, either look through the forums for 'Open' designations or PM the group leader yourself, I'm sure most will be accommodating.

BAMBAM66 - 2007-02-08 1:45 PM

Ron,

We just got an email from Trimom217 that she is dropping out as our mentor.  I feel a little weird looking for a new group now since everybody has gotten settled in.  Any ideas?  I think I'll be ok since I live with McFuzz and some of his mentoees check on me pretty regularly but it was nice to have someone from outside our 4 walls to keep me honest.

Beth

2007-02-16 4:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth

Ron,

The question was asked of me "what happens at the end of the 3 or 4 months"? Do we keep the group going, is everyone on their own, or are you going to keep this area open for people that want to keep going? What's you plans or ideas?

2007-02-17 12:09 PM
in reply to: #693406

User image

Champion
Gold member

At the end of April, we will either start another new block of the mentor program (the last one of the year) to go through June OR just only do it once a year in January.

After each program round officially closes, I haven't really thought about what to do...hide the mentor forum until we start up a new round BUT you can still interact with your group more informally via logs and pm's.  OR perhaps just move the forum down and you can all access your group thread for as long as you want. OR I may just close the forum down and 'move' all of the individual mentor threads into the 'introduce yourself' forum and you can still use them there if you want...the reason for this is that I don't want older mentor threads mixing with new mentor threads when we 'restart' the program...could be confusing.

I'm open to suggestion though...

2007-03-02 7:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Florida
I'm kinda bummed that I missed out on this completely...work was a bit overwhelming, and I kept saying that I would check out this thread tomorrow...

Anyways...
What do you do if you want to be in the program but all of the groups are full?

Also...I was wondering if it might be easier for you to "register" for a group (instead of just replying to the thread to do so), and make your group (whichever you register for) a main link (kinda like a forum link) on the main page...so that it is visible as a main link in the index forum - in the same way that I'm from Florida, so the florida forum is visible to me, but if I was from California, the California forum would be visible from the main page instead...

So, once you "register" to be in a mentor group, it would be listed in the main index forum (in the same way that "triathlon talk", "introduce yourself", "nutrition talk" are there)...and the "mentors forum" (which is now on the index page already) could still be there also...so that basically, you can click from the index page directly into your mentor group, or you can go to the mentor forum...that way you dont need to search through the entire mentor forum to find your group...the other nice thing about that is that it would allow you to (perhaps) establish more groups (I'm saying this from a purely selfish standpoint, cause I'd love to be in one and I missed out the first time)...

2007-03-04 9:51 PM
in reply to: #709774

User image

Champion
Gold member

Tonya,

Definitely check out a few groups and pm the leader...I'm sure most will be accommodating. 

You also have some good ideas regarding enhancing this program navigation-wise.  For now the quickest way to easily access the group is if you just link the group thread in your 'goals' are of the log....but making some more direct links to it that user don't have to configure would be nice like you mentioned.

2007-03-14 8:35 PM
in reply to: #693900

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
After each program round officially closes, I haven't really thought about what to do...hide the mentor forum until we start up a new round BUT you can still interact with your group more informally via logs and pm's.  OR perhaps just move the forum down and you can all access your group thread for as long as you want. OR I may just close the forum down and 'move' all of the individual mentor threads into the 'introduce yourself' forum and you can still use them there if you want...the reason for this is that I don't want older mentor threads mixing with new mentor threads when we 'restart' the program...could be confusing.

Ron,

First, I'd leave the mentor forum open, as those who are using it are probably benefiting.

My suggestion for going foward would be:

"Restart" all of the threads (as after I while I think they will get too long being 10 pages or whatever.)  Let the mentors restart their threads with their current group if they wish (so they will start off being full) or if they want to add some new members or get a whole new group, they can edit their threads as before.  You can just let the mentors manage this part.

Yes, this means that you will have more mentors (most likely) but since it is self-managed anyway, once you set them up as a mentor it shouldn't be a big deal, at least I wouldn't think so.

*sigh*  I'm kinda bummed I missed out on the mentoring stuff - I really only kick it back into gear in Feb and I'd like to be a mentor (if anyone would have me) so I am hoping you at least open this up once more this year.  Otherwise, I guess I will just have to pay better attention next year.

2007-03-15 6:19 AM
in reply to: #723353

cadreamer - 2007-03-14 9:35 PM

Ron,

First, I'd leave the mentor forum open, as those who are using it are probably benefiting.

My suggestion for going foward would be:

"Restart" all of the threads (as after I while I think they will get too long being 10 pages or whatever.)  Let the mentors restart their threads with their current group if they wish (so they will start off being full) or if they want to add some new members or get a whole new group, they can edit their threads as before.  You can just let the mentors manage this part.

Yes, this means that you will have more mentors (most likely) but since it is self-managed anyway, once you set them up as a mentor it shouldn't be a big deal, at least I wouldn't think so.

*sigh*  I'm kinda bummed I missed out on the mentoring stuff - I really only kick it back into gear in Feb and I'd like to be a mentor (if anyone would have me) so I am hoping you at least open this up once more this year.  Otherwise, I guess I will just have to pay better attention next year.

If you do mentor cadreamer I wouldn't mind joining up!

Also I agree with that the mentor forum should be left open. I always read in here even though I don't have a group.
2007-04-17 10:44 AM
in reply to: #684599

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hi,
Do you have any more room? I just found this site, and am training for my first triathalon. Thanks!
Nancy
2007-04-19 4:00 PM
in reply to: #723541

User image

Champion
Gold member

Nate and Nancy,

Browse through some of the mentor threads, see who you like and is active and then PM the mentor to see if they can accept you.  I'm sure most can be accommodating.

2007-05-06 11:20 PM

Regular
Is there plan to reopen the program or is it going to continue on as is? I wouldn't mind a mentor if there is one available.
2007-05-13 10:47 AM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Ron, I am also wondering if there is a plan to either have new mentors or a new session or something.  I have had 4 people join my group in the past month and I'm having trouble keeping up!  Obviously there is still interest in the program!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mentors! UPDATE Rss Feed