General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training gurus: Doubts set in, need reassurance. Am I approaching training in the right way? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-02-03 2:31 PM

User image

Chicago, IL
Subject: Training gurus: Doubts set in, need reassurance. Am I approaching training in the right way?

Hi folks. I’ve read the theory and I’m trying to do things the right way in training for my first half IM in August 4 (Steelhead in MI). But I want to be sure I’m doing the right thing, so I would appreciate your advice on the following two questions:

1. I’m training for a first time with a HRM, attempting to build base and keeping within my aerobic zone to do so. I’ve calculated the zones with the Verkonen (sp?) method, but to stay in that zone, it seems I have to run WAY slow…could this be?
2. Assuming the above is correct, my plan it to gently increase the distance over 8 weeks, always staying in this zones (at the slow speed, although I assume this too will increase as my heart becomes stronger). Only after the 8 week would I start working on speed. Is this the right approach, or should I already be mixing in one higher speed workout per week, or intervals, etc.

Some background, in case it helps. I’m almost 35, and this would be my fourth season of triathlons. I’ve done 5 sprints and 4 olympics (the latter at about 2:55). I’ve run a 5k in 21min (7 min per mile), and a half marathon in 2hrs (9min per mile). Normally when I run I run I go at 8:30-9min per mile, depending on distance. But right now to stay in my zone I have to run at 11-11:30 min per mile, it almost feels like walking! Note, before I started again 3 weeks ago I had had to take 7 months off with little to no aerobic exercise. Is it possible that this time off eroded my heart’s fitness so much? Or is it possible that before I was racing at a really high heart rate the whole time (and is this sustainable over 2-3 hours?)

Had I not bought the HRM none of this would ever have occurred to me, but I have plenty of time to train for this race and if this is “doing it the right way”, I have time and patience to do it. Just want to make sure I’m not wasting time and training harder than I am.

Sorry for such a long post, and thanks in advance for any tips!

Cheers,
Martin

2007-02-03 2:51 PM
in reply to: #678193

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Subject: RE: Training gurus: Doubts set in, need reassurance. Am I approaching training in the right way?

Martin,

You are asking all the right questions.   The very first thing you need to do is perform a lactate threshold heart rate field test in order to determine your training zones.  HR zones using a formula are innacurate  for a number of reasons, here is my explanation why:

http://www.steelcityendurance.com/general/maximum-heart-rate-formulas-.dont-be-fooled.html

There is a classic thread floating around, called the "220-age" thread that talks more specifically about many aspects of HR training.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=25733&start=1

I think in general, you won't go wrong withyour current training ideas, you just need to be sure you zones are correct before making any assumptions about your HR training.  You may find that your current zones based on the formula are too high or too low, thus affecting your pace.  Only when you establish "proper" zones with some type of repeatable test based on your own perfomrance and physiology can you begin to train systematically.  An easy test is the lactate threshold field test, ala Joe Friel's Triathlete's Training Bible, the test I mentioneed above. 

Here's a link on how to perform it:

http://www.steelcityendurance.com/testing/lactate-threshold-field-test.html

Good luck, you will get many more opinions.  But in my opinion, do the test and get back to us.

2007-02-03 4:24 PM
in reply to: #678193

Extreme Veteran
Charlotte,NC
Subject: RE: Training gurus: Doubts set in, need reassurance. Am I approaching training in the right way?
According to McMillan running calculator if you ran a 21 minute 5K your easy run pace is between 9:00 to 9:15 or if you enter your 1/2 mary time of 2 hours your easy run pace should be 10:10 to 10:40.
Obviously you are not in the same shape when you ran these times.
On the other hand do not rely on HR too much as it gets affected from a lot of different factors like heat,caffein,fatigue etc...the best way to gauge your effort while running is the perceived exertion method which has a scale from 1 to 10.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training gurus: Doubts set in, need reassurance. Am I approaching training in the right way? Rss Feed