General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What's a Fair Price for Cycling Training? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-02-05 8:21 PM

Veteran
Allen, TX
Subject: What's a Fair Price for Cycling Training?
Hey Guys,

I have an opportunity to hook up with a trainer to focus on cycling skills. He doesn't have a set price, rather he subscribes to the "pay me what yo think is fair" philosophy. I have no idea what's fair, but I know you guys will have a good idea.

What would you think is a fair price to charge to take a complete newbie out for a few rides, give tips & advice and help devise a training strategy? I don't want to take advantage of the guy.

Thanks in advance!

2007-02-06 9:30 AM
in reply to: #680435

User image

Veteran
Longmont
Subject: RE: What's a Fair Price for Cycling Training?
What is he offering in the way of plans, support, etc? It will be easier to give you an idea once we know what he is offering.
2007-02-06 9:33 AM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Based on the description you give (take a complete newbie out for a few rides, give tips & advice and help devise a training strategy), I'd say you can find someone to do that for free.
2007-02-06 9:42 AM
in reply to: #680857

Veteran
Allen, TX
co_tri_guy - 2007-02-06 9:30 AM

What is he offering in the way of plans, support, etc? It will be easier to give you an idea once we know what he is offering.

Good question - and one that is probably hard to answer.

He is willing to craft a plan to meet my specific needs. No wonder I can't figure this out! LOL! From what I understand, he can go as light or as heavy with coaching as you need.

I guess at this point I'm looking for an advisor who can teach me the ropes, take me on a few rides, show me how to not get killed on the street, etc. If that goes well, then I'd consider more serious coaching, training plans, etc.

Maybe I don't even know enough to have a coach at this point????

I just feel so lost when it comes to the bike. I know the rubber side goes down and that red bikes are fastest, but beyond that I'm fairly clueless. I'm also VERY slow right now, so my focus has been on pure time in the saddle and cadence.
2007-02-06 9:44 AM
in reply to: #680859

Veteran
Allen, TX
the bear - 2007-02-06 9:33 AM

Based on the description you give (take a complete newbie out for a few rides, give tips & advice and help devise a training strategy), I'd say you can find someone to do that for free.

Yeah, my preference is to find someone that will work for beer or cookies, but I had this opportunity come up so I thought it might be worth investigating. Plus, if I really like him, it could turn into "real" coaching.

I feel like I'm good on the run, am progressing on the swim, but am stagnant on the bike.

2007-02-06 2:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Longmont

At this poing, I would skip the coach and I would try and hook up with a triathlon club if there is one near you, otherwise find a bicycling club for the riding part, a masters swim club for the swimming, and almost all running stores have a running club or at least weekly group run. Start there.

Here are all the Texas tri clubs listed with USAT.

Texas      

Austin TRI Sports Austin Michael Blamo
Texas A&M Triathlon Team College Station Gary Kunkel
Tri-Cowtown Triathlon Club Euless Willy Gugel
Team RBT (Runbitri) Flower Mound Mark Kuithe
Sports Federation of the Valley McAllen Michael Castillo
Tri TX 2 Step Round Rock Milissa Day
Team Alamo San Antonio Santo Randazzo
Sportslife Triathlon Club San Antonio Brian Schmidt
Woodlands High School The Woodlands Sandra Sutherland
Roadkill Whitehouse Rick Uribe
Conroe Triathletes

2007-02-06 4:01 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven

VCSharpin - 2007-02-05 7:21 PM Hey Guys, I have an opportunity to hook up with a trainer to focus on cycling skills. He doesn't have a set price, rather he subscribes to the "pay me what yo think is fair" philosophy. I have no idea what's fair, but I know you guys will have a good idea. What would you think is a fair price to charge to take a complete newbie out for a few rides, give tips & advice and help devise a training strategy? I don't want to take advantage of the guy. Thanks in advance!

THis is kind of ironic.  The guy says you set your own price, but because you have so much confusion, you decide to go with a club instead of him.  I just think it's funny, that's all.

Taking someone out for a few rides is worth beer & pizza.  A training "strategy" might be worth a 6 -pack.  If he's going to sit down with you, take an athletic history and fully develop a weekly or monthly training plan with the opportunity for you to get feedback and make changes, well, thats worth anywhere from $50 to $200 depending on who he's competing with.

It's kind of a nebulous offer, but that doens't mean you should pass on it. 

Tell him you're really not certain what he can help you with.  GO for one ride with him, then go grab some grub and let him tell you what his specific plans might be and go from there.    

Do you have references for the guy?  What has he done with others?  Does he get good results?  What is his background?  

Maybe just scrap it all and hook up with teh club for now! 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What's a Fair Price for Cycling Training? Rss Feed