Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Settling for silver. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2004-08-18 1:38 PM

User image

Expert
Montreal
Subject: Settling for silver.
I have heard this expression "settling for silver" or "settling for bronze" frequently in the last week.

I cannot imagine what it is like to be among the top 10 anything in the world let alone in the top 3 where the difference between 1st and 3rd is often less of 1/10th of a second. While the journalists and couch potatoes might see a silver or bronze as something to settle for I see it as an amazing achievement. Any athlete who makes it to the games has made tremendous sacrifices and achieved something most of us can only dream of.

Could be I have a screwy way of looking at things.

2004-08-18 1:45 PM
in reply to: #49931

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boston, MA
Subject: RE: Settling for silver.
oh i definatley understand what you mean... but the way i look at it, they are just refering to how (not in all cases of course) bronze and silver are not the goal that they are striving for, and when they do not meet thier goal, and instead fall short.

personally (and i'm sure this goes for a huge percentage of people) i'd LOVE to 'settle' for bronze... heck.. i'd be extatic if i was in 4th and didnt even get a medal!

2004-08-18 2:24 PM

User image

Expert
Northern VA
I think it depends on the "level" of the athlete. If its a Michael Johnson, Ian Thorpe, Number 1 head and shoulders over their other competitors, then its probably "settling" or even losing. If its an average (if you can call world class athletes average) competitor just seeking to medal - then they've WON!!!

Of course I love the old joke: What do you call the guy that gets the silver medal, missing the gold by 1/1000th of a second?

LOSER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2004-08-18 2:53 PM

User image

Veteran
I agree that these athletes want nothing less than the gold. But I do believe that winning the silver or bronze is the achievement of a lifetime for any of them. More so though, we condition ourselves to believe that nothing but the best will do, when in fact coming in second and third, or even competing in the Olympics is the feat of a lifetime.

Of course for most of us, we are happy to just be able to compete in and complete things. The winning and competitive spirit is a great thing, but only if it is done in fair and sportsmanlike competition.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Settling for silver. Rss Feed