General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swim-aches Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-01-06 9:06 PM

Subject: swim-aches
HELP i tend to get headaches after swim workouts. they feel like a sinus headache, but don't go way with meds any suggestions or even a reason would be great. also my obliques are relatively sore the day after a pool workout, is this from a stoke dfficiency or am i actually doing something right??

2004-01-07 2:46 AM
in reply to: #3273

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-01-07 3:34 AM

Subject: RE: swim-aches
I used to get headaches when I was younger swimming competitively if the chlorine levels were exceptionally high, look around at the other swimmers, if they are coughing or complaining of similar problems the chlorine levels of the pool could be too high-talk to the pool attendants, look around for pools that have a larger open area above the water, the atomosphere may not be so stuffy. If the pool is too hot for training you may also get headaches, again check out different pools and find one that works for you in terms of temperature. I live in Korea and many of the pools over here are too hot and have too much chlorine, but there are a few that are cooler and great for training.
I also have trouble sleeping if I swim in the evenings because I find the chlorine layer over my skin makes me hot and irritable. What I would be inclined to tell you is to make your showers after swimming long and hot, to open up your pores, also try using a strong soap (anit-bacterial?) and shampo to wash as much of the chlorine off as possible, I often have a shower at the pool after training and then again once I get home, it can help.
Another idea could be to take a water bottle with you to the training session if you don't already, many people drink when training on the bike or running but neglect to drink while in a swimming session? You could be dehydrated, chlorine is a toxin that has been reported to promote arteriosclerosis, so don't drink the pool water (sounds silly), watch yourself if you are about to gulp and go for the bottle! :-(
Need any more ideas?....train as much as you can outside in lakes or the ocean (summer training) and open air pools. Perhaps you could consult your doctor or look on the net for info on vegetables or fruit that can be helpful in reducing the harmful effects of chlorine, kind of compensators if you get my meaning. I always think prevention is better than the cure, so I don't like the idea of looking for drugs to combat the pain of a headache, though it's your call.

Hope this is of some use and that you don't give up on the swimming, it's too great a sport to do that.

Oh sore obiques could just mean they are a weak link in your armour, following a weight training routine of standing lat pull downs will fix that side of things and improve your strength.
2004-01-07 11:01 AM

Master
San Diego, CA
Subject: Could it be a result of your goggles?

Maybe this is a silly question, but I know when my goggles are too tight, I get some serious headaches!

Maybe try a different style of goggle and see if they are more comfortable.

Dan
2004-01-07 3:22 PM

Central Louisiana
We never want to think anything is a serious problem, but if you keep having problems, I agree you need to see a physician. I really am wondering if you have a pair of goggles that don't agree with you. Let us know what becomes of your problem.
2004-01-07 4:14 PM

Regular
Colorado
Ditto on the chlorine and goggles. The chlorine makes me stuffy and sometimes sneezy for 1-2 hours after a workout, then passes... I've also had my goggles too tight and ended up with a headache. Just a little extra affirmation that you're not crazy!

2004-01-07 4:18 PM

Oh another thing could be your swim hat (if you wear one), try swimming without a cap!

Goggles that have two straps may give you a more comfortable fit as well.
2004-01-07 9:04 PM
in reply to: #3342

thanks for the suggestions, i actually ordered new goggles thinking that may be the problem, i hope that will solve it. oh and the swim cap would be a good call but i shave my head. . . I hate swim caps!!!!

Edited by russellherrington 2004-01-07 9:07 PM
2004-01-08 3:34 AM

lucky you on the head shaving deal, in Korea you have to wear a cap while swimming, which may be a good idea for pool maintenance but makes me really hot.

Hope you pick up some good goggles, if you have a high nose bridge then a pair of goggles that have a string nose piece or rubber will be more comfortable and not cut into your bridge (another possible cause of a headache).
2004-01-08 1:52 PM
in reply to: #3368

New user

I just read your last log entry on the swim. One other thing you may consider as a possible cause of headaches is the way you take your breath. Th fact that you said the base of your neck was sore tells me you are turning your head more than turning your body. This can make for a very sore neck and headaches. Be sure you turn the body at each stroke so that your recovery-arm shoulder is well out of the water. you should be able to take a breath with minimal or no head movement. Besides less strain on the neck, it is a much more efficient stroke technique. To practice it, exaggerate the body turn over until it feel natural. Hope this helps.
2004-01-08 2:08 PM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
I agree with that, I took a lesson and they watched me swim first thing. The first thing she told me was to relax. My neck and shoulders were very tight and very tense and it contributed to me wearing down. It is easier said than done, the role that is, just because we are so used to swimming flat on our stomachs and using our arms and shoulders.
Relax, relax, relax is pretty much what I try to focus on. Still reading TI and I am liking the book more and more each day. I already feel faster and more smooth in my mind without even trying the drills yet. Those start Saturday.

Edited by FW Rio 2004-01-08 2:09 PM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swim-aches Rss Feed