General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coaching question for experienced Ironmen Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-02-10 11:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Calgary, Alberta
Subject: Coaching question for experienced Ironmen

I need some advice from all you experienced "Ironmen"...

Last season was my 6th year of tris, and the first time I opted for coaching. I had no idea how much of a difference it was going to make ...it made an enormous difference in my performance and mental attitude. He's the tri coach at a local college, did all my programs based on my individual need and very hectic schedule, and he was very accesible (and he only charged $75/month!). I learned alot from him, and became very reliant on having him!

Of course, it was too good to be true, and he is no longer available to coach me. I'm 6.5 months away from my first Ironman and not sure what to do. My goal is to get to the start line, and perform well. I'm competitive, but recognize that short of a miracle, I'm not going to be a Kona qualifier. I've narrowed it down to these options:

1) Become a gold member here, use that training plan and do it with the support on BT and the help of the Tri Bible.

2) Hire an equivalent coach for at least twice the price (I am getting married 2 weeks before IMC, so money is even more a concern than usual!) and stress about the potential unnecessary spending of money.

I guess my main questions are: do alot of people do IM without a coach?  For those of you that have had coaching, would you consider doing it without? Do you think it made a significant difference?

Part of me feels like doing HIMs with a coach I gained enough knowledge that  I'd be fine doing IM with a standard program. And then on the other hand, what if I have absolutely no idea how challenging its going to be and am foolish for considering doing it sans-coach?

Any thoughts?

2007-02-11 8:01 AM
in reply to: #686627

User image

Kentucky
Subject: Check out my coach...
Mike Plumb at Tripower.org. Very affordable (I think his rates are at $80 or $85 a month right now). Very accomplished. And he knows what he is doing. Mike coached me through my first Ironman (and a couple of marathons), and I recommend him to anyone who is looking for an online coach.

A lot of people do Ironman without a coach...and they do it quite successfully. I didn't want to do Ironman without a coach because I didn't want to second-guess my training plan. When I trained for my first half, I did it solo, and the most stress I had came from not being sure whether or not I was ready. When I got to Ironman, I knew I had done everything my coach had asked me to do, and I had faith that I was ready (although I had the usual last-minute nerves, I'll admit).

Anyway, I haven't been working with Mike for the last year save for some e-mailing because I had some big changes (moved twice, changed jobs twice) and tri got put on the back burner. I'm getting back with him starting in March to train for Ironman Moo. Happy to tell you anything you need to know about his services if you'd like to know more.

Kim
2007-02-11 2:06 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE: Coaching question for experienced Ironmen
ch2626 - 2007-02-11 1:49 AM

1) Become a gold member here, use that training plan and do it with the support on BT and the help of the Tri Bible.

I'm not an Ironman, however I've taken advantage of the Gold Member Support Forums here for sprints, olympics and a HIM and have been extremely happy with the results. If you are concerned about money and are comfortable using a generic plan and modifying it yourself to suit your needs, this will probably give you the best return on your investment. The support that Mike, Amy and Mark provide is top notch and very timely.

Best of luck with your traing for IMC and the wedding planning

Shane
2007-02-13 7:25 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Mike Plumb at Tripower.org. Very affordable (I think his rates are at $80 or $85 a month right now). Very accomplished. And he knows what he is doing. Mike coached me through my first Ironman (and a couple of marathons), and I recommend him to anyone who is looking for an online coach.

He's my current coach. So far... so good after 3 weeks. I get to the IM training at the end of the year.
2007-02-13 7:34 PM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
I think that it can definitely be done w/out a coach. There is enough knowledge/people out there to bounce thoughts, ideas, and questions off of. Regardless of having a coach or not you will mostly likely get to the starting line asking yourself if you trained enough! Most likely you did, but you will have that fear. From what you said it is more about the "goal or experience." There a lot of training plans/books out there. I recommend "Going Long" it is a great book. Good luck. Don't skimp on your wedding. That is also a LIFETIME ACCOMPLISHMENT!
2007-02-13 7:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, Georgia
Good news is you had a good experience on your first. I have purchased some training guides and honestly have learned more from reading and diving in myself than any knowledge the coach i used provided, and its cost me all of 25.00 thus far. Be careful with what coach you find, the one I used I never heard from after the race...Nothing along the lines of "nice work"..or "guess you didnt meet your goal but lets discuss how to improve" or "kiss my butt"...I don't wanna drop names b/c if he short changed me, my guess is he'll do it to others.

All that to say be careful. Sounds like you had a good thing before. I should also say the coach i used was for the 70.3 last year, and not for a full. I am doing my first full this fall and am depending on myself to get through it. My lesson learned was I was depending to much on the support of others when ultimately its ourselves that have to make it happen.

Good luck!

2007-02-13 10:20 PM

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
If you can already do a half-ironman, then you'll be fine without a coach. A coach will make a difference, but you don't NEED one. Increasing your endurance isn't rocket science (it's probably the simplest, stupidest part of training, as long as you can divide a number by 10), and most of the same principles for a half-ironman apply to the full iron distance. You will want a good book (like "Going Long") to teach yourself the nutritional requirements and race-day logistics, but again those aren't actually very complicated.
2007-02-14 8:35 AM

HAS ANYBODY TRIED ANY IRONMAN DISTANCE PROGRAMS FROM SOME OF THE GOOD BOOKS OUT THERE I GOT THE BOOK BE IRON FIT ANYONE FOLLOWING THIS PROGRAM.
2007-02-14 10:33 AM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
I upgraded to the gold plan and had access to the online coaches and I had a great first IM.  The coaches on this site are great and readily available to answer questions. I'm all for the gold plan!
2007-02-14 3:42 PM

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
I think coaches are helpful, but their biggest advantage is keeping you from doing too much during IM training. When you are without a coach there is a lot of doubt which results doing a lot of 'just in case' training. I don't/didn't use a coach and have had some success, and like a previous poster said, its not very complicated to build endurance. I would recommend that you learn to understand WHY you are doing the workouts you do and you will be fine. Plus, There are a ton of good ideas/discussions on this forum to get in on.
2007-02-14 4:05 PM
in reply to: #690121

User image

Expert
lake forest, California

brim - 2007-02-14 6:35 AM HAS ANYBODY TRIED ANY IRONMAN DISTANCE PROGRAMS FROM SOME OF THE GOOD BOOKS OUT THERE I GOT THE BOOK BE IRON FIT ANYONE FOLLOWING THIS PROGRAM.

http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:Triathlete%20Magazine%27s%20Essential%20Week-By-Week%20Training%20Guide%3A%20Plans%2C%20Scheduling%20Tips%2C%20and%20Workout%20Goals%20for%20Triathletes%20of%20All%20Levels:3004621153;_ylc=X3oDMTB1c21tcDhkBF9TAzk2NjMyOTA3BHNlYwNmZWVkBHNsawNib29rcw--

I'm using this book for my traing. It offers 44 different plans depending upon your race type, length, and level of intensity you choose. I think its working great! Check it out-

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coaching question for experienced Ironmen Rss Feed