General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Yet Another Big Guy Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-08-19 12:02 PM

User image

Regular
Long Island, NY
Subject: Yet Another Big Guy
Hmmm, sounds like a trend. Anyway, thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Dan. I've come over from a weight/body/powerlifting background and have essentially been avoiding cardio. I'm at the biggest I've ever been ~ 240-250lbs and about 12-14% BF. I've spent the last three years really just adding muscle and it's worked. But, I have a lot of "hobbies" that don't exactly interact so well with the added size - surfing, snowboarding, wakeboarding, etc. Plus, lately I've been yearning to get back at something competitive. I used to play football and throw shot & discus in high school and miss the competitiveness of it. Anyway, I saw Julz's post on another board we're members of and decided to give triathlons a shot. I competed in a duathlon when I was 18 (I'm 25 now) and loved it. For some reason, I never stuck with it, preferring to gain size instead. Anyway, my plan is kind of like Julz's:

A) Couch to 5K running program to get my running back in shape (I haven't run in YEARS and can only remember the bad shin pains I used to get)
B) Reduce the lifting (and types of lifts I do) - concentrating on higher rep/lower weigh schemes. DL's and Squats may get left behind, but I'm sure I'll pull them out every once in a while - they are my absolute favorites after all.
C) Eventually get a good road bike and work on that. Getting my running in place will be first and foremost.
D) Keep surfing as I think it's only going to help with my swimming. Like I said, I have no timetable for my first competition as of yet, so I can deal with this for a little while. I also have access to a pool at my gym, so that will help - although I plan on surfing through November hopefully.
E) Just have fun - I've found I train much better with a goal in mind, so it'll be good to get back at it and find out if I can make myself do this.

Sorry Julz, kind of based that off your plan, but - hey, what can I say, we have the same goals and imitation is the most sincerest form of flatery (sp?)

Hope to learn a lot here!!!

2004-08-19 3:24 PM
in reply to: #50333

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: Yet Another Big Guy
Welcome Big Dan!  Good luck with training!  Any specific tri you are interested in?
2004-08-19 4:11 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-08-19 5:22 PM

Champion
Gold member

good plan dan. 

welcome.

2004-08-19 6:26 PM

Regular
Long Island, NY
COgirl 2004-08-19
Welcome Big Dan! Good luck with training! Any specific tri you are interested in?

Thanks for the welcome, COgirl! No specific try I'm interested in yet, but my goal is to aim for either mid-fall (late October? Maybe some kind of Halloween run) or early next spring. I really need to work on getting back into running (my definite weakest point) and work on long distance swimming.

Lara_SD 2004-08-19
welcome dan! terrific goals there is a lot to learn around here.. the main page has some great articles and you can find past articles through the directory at

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/directory/index.asp

good luck with training.. we are glad to have you here

lara

Thanks for the welcome, Lara! That's a great link, I'm sure I'll wear it in with my need for "newbie info."

Ron 2004-08-19
good plan dan.

welcome.

Thanks for the welcome, Ron! Great place you've got here!
2004-08-19 7:05 PM

New user
West Virginia
Hey Dan! Glad you made it over here. Lotsa great info, I am still wading through it. I did get my start on the Couch to 5k this week, and am gonna work weights back in next when I go back to work/school.

Greg

2004-08-20 1:55 PM

Central Louisiana

Welcome to the T-spot!

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Yet Another Big Guy Rss Feed