of 2

2007-02-14 8:37 AM
in reply to: #690042

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Hill training (bike)
geekball2 - 2007-02-14 6:56 AM

Look around at every serious athlete in the world, no matter what sport, they are weight training.

Not to start this whole topic up again, but this comment is simply untrue.  Some do.  Some don't.  There's no evidence it helps endurance athletes (like triathlete's, say) in particular.  Do it if you like it.

2007-02-14 8:39 AM
in reply to: #690068

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

AdventureBear - 2007-02-14 7:48 AM
jesswah - 2007-02-12 4:01 PM Yes, I know the best way to train for hills is to go out and do them. But between time/daylight and weather constraints, it's not possible to get out there that much. So, what is the best way to train for hills? I've got a whole gym at my disposal, and might buy me a trainer.
The OP wanted ideas for off the bike training, at least that's what I took from this post. All the above suggestions are great if you are ON THE BIKE, but that's his issue is that he's not on it as much as he would like. No one will dispute specificity of training, but when the poster says he cant get out there that much, he needs some practical suggestions.

And note the last statement.  This is the best option, no?  And the gym may have cycling options as well, not just weights.

2007-02-14 9:02 AM
in reply to: #688551

User image

Veteran
Auburn, Alabama
There was a great point-counterpoint article in Triathlete Mag a few months ago about whether lifting was beneficial or not.

One side said it was, the other said it was only good if you couldn't get any more gains out of actual riding... which is probably no one here, unless someone is training about 30hrs/week.

sam
2007-02-14 4:54 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Weight training will increase lean muscle mass and does improve cycling performance in beginner cyclists. AT some point the gains made cease to increase to any significant degree, and the remaining strength gains seem to come from neuromuscular adaptations to the specific activity you are performing.

Weight training will improve your power on the bike for new cyclist, as will on teh bike training. As muscular development in the form of lean muscle mass tapers, additional power gained on the bike will come from neuromuscular adaptation...which will only come from cycling.

I realize that the new contrarian view is anti-weight room. I also agree that maximum benefits come from sport specific exercises. However, I maintain the contra-contrarian view that off the bike strength training is still beneficial for the majority of recreational athletes. Feel free to quote me all the variety of studies showing that there is no improvement in VO2 max or lactate threshold in controlled studies of cyclists with and without weight training. There are also studies showing that weight training increases efficiency in both cyclists and runners.

It is very narrow minded to make a blanket statement that weights will not provide any benefit at all.

By my maitaining this stance, you may get the impression that I think weights (as opposed to on the bike strength training) are a madatory and vital part if triathlon training. I don't want to suggest that at all. I would just like to propose that people remain open minded about training activities. If you live in a great climate with a variety of terrain then shame on you for spending any time training indoors at all...I wish I could switch places for you. But as the seasons change in the cold, dreary north and motivation for getting out in miserable weather wanes, there are many additional training opportunities available.

"Can't we all just get along?" -Rodney King.
2007-02-14 9:00 PM

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County

OK, I'm no cycling expert, as my training logs will attest.  But I have seen some really good improvements in my hill-climbing ability over the last couple of months, and the only thing I can attribute it to is Spin Class at the gym.  Yeah.  Spin Class on a lame-o stationary spin class bike with a fly wheel. 

I've been going twice a week for the last several months.  In class, we usually do some good long-ish intervals, and some fake-o rollers, and then some very hard effort "climbs", and then followed up with some low resistance "sprints".  I don't treat it like riding much except that it's a similar movement.

Low cadence intervals seem to be what's helped the most, imo.  There aren't any "levels" on the bikes, so it's all subjective, and effort is based on RPE.  For the hard climbs, he has us standing up at levels 8, 9 and 10, for 30 seconds each, and the cadence drops from 60-70 rpm to whatever you can hold for level 10 (usually around 40).  That's exactly how I wind up tackling the harder hills I'm faced with anyway, so it's good to know that I can hold that for as long as I need to to get over the hill.  I mean, there are times when the hill is harder than I can deal with and wind up getting into the lowest gear and just spin as much as I can and hope that I can keep pedalling enough to keep myself going fast enough to no turn over.

Maybe I'm wrong.  And if I am, I'm sure Bear, et al, will let me know.   

2007-02-15 12:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Auburn, Alabama
yeah- spinning did some good for me too, but I really only like it b/c of the sauna ans steamroom @ the gym.

2007-02-15 9:22 AM
in reply to: #691198

Elite
Laurium, MI
madkat - 2007-02-14 8:00 PM

Low cadence intervals seem to be what's helped the most, imo.  There aren't any "levels" on the bikes, so it's all subjective, and effort is based on RPE.  For the hard climbs, he has us standing up at levels 8, 9 and 10, for 30 seconds each, and the cadence drops from 60-70 rpm to whatever you can hold for level 10 (usually around 40).  That's exactly how I wind up tackling the harder hills I'm faced with anyway,

IMHO, this is a good thing and a bad thing.  You are building the ability to make more power, which is a good thing, but you are targeting it at a low cadence (bad thing).  Cycling involves two things, how much force you can make in one stroke, and how many times you can make that stroke per minute.  Power is cadence indepedant.  You make the same power at low rpm pushing hard as you can at high rpm pushing less.  YOu get stronger by pushing more force with your legs for longer periods of time.  So it makes sense that for a constant resistance, low cadence offers more resistance at the legs.

The issue is what you describe.  You worked at low cadence, and now you climb hills in low cadence, which is a very good way of frying yourself early.  IF instead you could generate that same force on the pedals at a higher cadence, you would be putting out more power and be faster, or if you were comfortable producing less force at higher cadence, you could generate enough power to get up the hill without stressing the legs so much.

so save the gear mashing drills for outside.  On a trainer you should never run out of resistance to the point that you can't spin in your comfort zone or higher while pushing the same force you would be at lower cadence.  SO getting out and mashing is a good thing, but on the trainer, 'mashing' is not less then 60 rpm, more like between 70 and 90.  Also incorperate high cadence-low resistance stuff to help transition that hard effort-low cadence stuff to more useable rpms.

Edited by vortmax 2007-02-15 9:23 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hill training (bike) Rss Feed  

of 2