General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need to decide between road or tri bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-02-15 8:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana
Subject: Need to decide between road or tri bike

Here's my story. I got into triathlons and cycling last year in April and to get started I bought a road bike from bikesdirect.com. It was a Windsor Willow bike and these are the components for the 2007 model, but I'm assuming it's the same as my 2006 bike.

Main FrameKinesis Double Butted Aluminum Alloy, 2XH2O mounts
Rear TriangleTapered 7005 Series Aluminum rear stays forged road dropout with replaceable derailleur hanger.
Fork4130 Chromoly Unicrown Taperblade
CranksetRPM (by FSA) Forged Aluminum Triple  30/42/52
Bottom BracketSealed Cartridge
PedalsAlloy road with clips and straps
Front DerailleurShimano Sora2200, clamp-on, 28.6mm
Rear DerailleurShimano Sora2200,  8-speed for Triple
ShiftersShimano Sora2200,  24-speed
Cassette/FreewheelShimano HG  8-speed, 12/24
ChainKMC Z 8-Speed Narrow
Front Hub Sealed Bearing Aluminum Alloy, 32H
Rear HubSealed Bearing Aluminum Alloy 2200, 32H
Spokes14 Gauge Stainless
RimsDRX2000 Double Wall Box Construction, 32H/32H
- 650c wheels on 44cm, 48cm, 51cm. 700c wheels on 54cm.
TiresMichelin Dynamic, 650c or 700 x 23c presta tubes
Brake SetProMax Forged Polished Aluminum Dual Pivot
Brake LeversShimano Sora 2200 STI Triple
HeadsetSealed Mechanism
HandlebarButted Aluminum - Womens-Proportionate Sizing
StemRoad Forged Aluminum
Tape/GripWindsor custom cork wrap color coordinated
SaddleWindsor WomensComfort
Seat PostMicro Adjust alloy, 250mm, 27.2
Seat ClampWindsor Ultralite alloy with Quick Release

I'm getting a new bike for my birthday, which is next month. This weekend I'm going to Richardson Bike Mart in Texas to get a professional fitting done. I had actually not gotten fitted for the bike I purchased last year. I'm 5'3" and only have a 27" inseam and well, the bike I'm riding right now was not fitted to me. I'm doing okay on it, been riding it for the last year or so and don't really know the difference between this bike and one that I'll be fitted for until I get on it.

Anyway, I want to know if I should upgrade my road bike or should I get a tri bike. I know this is an age old debate and it's all very personal and individualistic. However, I want to know how my current road bike compares to an entry-level road bike of good quality. Obviously my current road bike is entry-level.

I plan to do about 7-8 tris this season with my first Olympic distance tri in June. My dream would be to someday finish an Ironman distance, but for right now my goal is HIM first in perhaps two more years. I ride regularly with my bike club and have done 2 bike tours and will be doing my first MS150 in April. I think I might do more bike tours this year, but with triathlons, I seem to put that as first priority?

If I do get a tri bike, I intend to spend about $2000 on it, so that I won't have to get a new one for a long time. My fear is that after training and riding my new/better tri bike for the season, I might get disgruntled with my road bike and not ride as much because it doesn't feel as good. See my dilemma?

I'm wondering if I should go ahead and get a good road bike, spend the money on that first and THEN maybe in a couple of years get a tri bike when I'm about ready for a HIM?

Please, I need some feedback!! I put the info on my current bike up because I wanted to see what you guys thought of the components and the quality of the bike.

Thanks!!!!!

2007-02-15 10:07 PM
in reply to: #692482

Master
Shreveport, LA
Subject: RE: Need to decide between road or tri bike
I would say tri bike because of the following:
1. Most of the road bike riding is for training and tours, not races. So if you are going to race multisport 7-8 times a year, then you should a triathlon racing bike.
2. You can keep the road bike for some training, sloppy conditions, fun, group rides. If you feel after a few years that would to upgrade to a new road bike, you will know exactly what you want then and can get it and keep this bike as a rainy day bike.

If the road bike doesn't fit, you can always trade it or sell to another beginner.

I was trying to make the same decision last year and went with the road bike, because I didn't do but 1-3 tris a year and the road bike fit what I was doing, but it looks like you can fully utilize the tri bike.

Remember to have fun. I got way too stressed out over my bike. I made the right decision, but I didn't have as much fun as I should have.
2007-02-16 10:11 AM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

Always an interesting dilemna. I know a little bit about your abilities, so let me hit you with a couple of blunt questions:

• What is wrong with your current road bike?
  • Do you have/use aerobars on your road bike?
  • What do you think buying a new bike will accomplish for you?
  • Have you ever ridden a tri bike?
2007-02-16 10:27 AM

User image

Expert
Lake Forest, Illinois

I was in a similar situation last year.  I decided to go with the tri bike beause almost all of my rides are solo and the few group rides I do are with just a few other folks in a paceline.

I did keep my old road bike though and have added some components just to keep it servicable.  This year the majority of my miles will probably be on the road (due to commuting) and the remainder on the tri (long ride once a week and racing).

In my case I couldn't go for a tri bike if it would be my only bike because most of my commuting is done on trails that are pretty sketchy to be in the aerobars for all the time.  So if I absolutely had to have just one bike it would have been a road bike.

2007-02-16 5:14 PM
in reply to: #692816

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana
the bear - 2007-02-16 10:11 AM

Always an interesting dilemna. I know a little bit about your abilities, so let me hit you with a couple of blunt questions:

• What is wrong with your current road bike?
  • Do you have/use aerobars on your road bike?
  • What do you think buying a new bike will accomplish for you?
  • Have you ever ridden a tri bike?

Thanks Mr. Bear! I know I can always count on you to come up with the hard questions!

I'll answer only if you promise to come up with more advice!

• What is wrong with your current road bike?  Nothing I guess. That's why I put up the components there to see how it compared to road bikes like more recognizable names like Trek, Felt, etc...
  • Do you have/use aerobars on your road bike? Do not have aerobars, have never used aerobars. I think the LBS guy said it might be hard to put aerobars on my current bike because the bars are too short?
  • What do you think buying a new bike will accomplish for you? Well, that's what I'm trying to figure out. I'm hoping that a new bike will help me get faster, but that's obviously a misnomer. I know it has to come from the person, not the equipment, but that's why I put up the components again...not sure what they all mean and how they compare. As in, am I working too hard with the current bike that I have? Also I was not fitted to this current bike, so I'm not sure if this bike is the right size for me etc.
  • Have you ever ridden a tri bike? No, never. I hope to test ride one tomorrow to see how I feel about it.

I have a feeling you're trying to tell me that I don't need a new bike at the moment, am I right? It's fine if you are. The reason I want a new bike is that I bought this one simply to get into the sport and I got the cheapest bike I could find and didn't really know anything about components or whatever and honestly I still don't. I would like to get a bike that I know I will keep for a long time and what I plan to do it upgrade the components in time if I need to. Perhaps I don't need a new bike...I probably just need to get better. I guess it's better to save the $$ to pay for all the race entries instead of dumping it in a bike and of course the LBS guys will not dissuade you from getting a new bike whether you need one or not.

I just would like to know how my current road bike compares to other entry level bikes. And I suppose the question becomes...when are you qualified to get a new bike?

2007-02-16 8:00 PM
in reply to: #693466

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

Recap: 

1. Your bike is low-end, but not much more than most entry-level bikes. It should last you many miles, several seasons.
  2. There is nothing wrong with your bike, you say, which I take to mean it rides, rolls, shifts OK, that there's nothing there to limit your performance, or even your training and enjoyment.
  3. Even though it's not "fitted" for you, you're not having any problems, no reason to doubt that the fit is acceptable, or even less than perfect.
  4. You don't know what you're looking for in buying a new bike, nor have you ever ridden a tri bike or aerobars.

OK, here's my rule, though no one ever likes it.

"It permissible to spend no more on a bike than $1 for every mile you rode last year."

In your case, that enables you to spend $758.61 on a new bike. Now $758.61 is not going to buy you much more bike than what you have now, which is a perfectly workable bike that has nothing wrong with it. Therefore, yes, I am telling you that you probably don't need a new bike at this time. Doesn't mean you can't buy a bike now,it's a free country and it's your money. I just don't think it's going to accomplish anything at this time.

When are you qualified to get a new bike? My opinion, when your current bike becomes the limiter on your performance, on your motivation, on your training, or even on your enjoyment of the sport. Until then, get out and put some time in the saddle. Get fitted on your current bike if you have doubts. Get aerobars at the same time, so you can get fitted to them, and get used to riding in the aero position. At the same time, shop, shop, shop, educate yourself on what bikes are out there, learn what features will benefit you most, and test ride dozens of bikes. But above everything, RIDE LOTS!

2007-02-16 10:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana

Ouch!!! But I did ask for your opinion and I do respect it. Thank you. Lots to think about.

2007-02-17 5:54 AM

User image

I think it goes without question you should get a new bike.  Do you run in shoes two sizes too big? Do you swim in a suit two sizes too big? As women, and petite women, our body build is something we always need to accommodate.  I think your season last year speaks to your commitment to the sport/s.  Of course you can ride your current bike; however, you certainly don't have the control over it as you would something more in the 43cm range.  I don't know about you, but when I'm coming down a hill at XXXX speeds, I'm big into the whole control factor.  I also wouldn't recommend aerobars on your current frame either.  Many clubs don't like to ride with those who have the aerobars due to a prevalent rumor of the bars reducing rider control.  You belong to a club....what do they say?

My vote is a new road bike.  Last year you had almost 760 miles logged mostly with your club.  Less than 50 in the triathlons? You've got the Texas MS150 coming up and you will probably do even more tours.  Next year you will do the Arkansas MS150 with me.  MY vote is for the road bike and aerobars when you tri.  (I also think in black, but that's just me. )

2007-02-17 6:07 AM
in reply to: #693702

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
LLP1970 - 2007-02-17 5:54 AM

I think it goes without question you should get a new bike.  Do you run in shoes two sizes too big? Do you swim in a suit two sizes too big? As women, and petite women, our body build is something we always need to accommodate. 

Sharon has indicated nowhere that her current bike does not fit, or does not "accomodate" her "body build." So you're suggesting spending hundreds/thousands to fix a problem that doesn't exist?

Edited by the bear 2007-02-17 6:07 AM
2007-02-17 9:32 AM

User image

I'm sorry Mr. Bear, but I know I am only 5'3 and I cannot ride a 53cm roadbike.  That's just my opinion. 

(Sharon has said somewhere, I don't know if in a message, etc. that bringing the bike to a complete stop is sometimes challenging because she cannot stand over the bike properly.)

Edited by LLP1970 2007-02-17 9:35 AM
2007-02-17 9:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana

Okay, I apologize...I should not have started this thread as a personal shopping question. If I had kept it technical to just road bike vs tri bike, then we wouldn't come to this.

To paraphrase the LBS guy, "it's not whether you deserve a new bike, it's what you can afford"...for some. Case in point, he showed me a picture of a lady who just bought a brand new custom Guru for $4000 and she was all decked out in a fancy bike jersey/shorts and I asked, "wow, does she ride with LaSport?" and he said, "no, she just wants to start riding a bike". Of course the LBS guy is in the business of selling bikes.....

The whole point to that is this: I came here to ask for advice and opinions and that is what I got. I highly respect Mr. Bear's opinion and he definitely speaks truth. I also know that LLP knows my heart because she's my friend. So....

There is no resolution because honestly, it's my decision to buy a bike or not. I should not make it as an emotional decision. I really did want to figure out road bike or tri bike essentially.

I care WAY too much about what others think. I know someone who bought a tri bike after they did a local tri in town and she had a really nice road bike. Did she deserve it? Probably about as much as I do. I also know a great rider who is super fast and rides a bike that looks way too big for her. Does she deserve a new bike. Probably more than me.

Bottomline....this is a birthday present that is being offered to me. I can still say no. But ultimately I do want to feel good with this decision.

Thanks for the support and advice.

2007-02-17 10:35 AM

User image

Elite
In The Peleton

I like Bear's formula, but it may not apply to you.  The real question here is how serious are you about tris?

My first tri was May '05.  I live in WI and raced the mountain bike tri at Wildflower in Cali with my brother.  I rode that first race on a rented mountain bike, with a cargo rack and bell no less!  Had a blast.  To see if I was going to get serious, I bought a used ten+ year old Trek 1420 for $200 and had a 30 minute fitting session on it at the LBS.  Added aerobars.  I raced a couple sprints on it, and early '06 decided to race the Oly at wildflower that year.  Trained on the Trek, and rented a Giant TCR Zero for the race, as paying $100 to rent that (totally amazing) bike was cheaper than shipping my own $200 bike back and forth...  Once I spent time on the Giant, my old Trek was no fun.

I went through the tri vs. road bike decision process just like you.  I figured I would do most of my training solo, and I could keep my old road bike for group rides.  So that's what I did!  For $2k you can buy a fantastic bike, pedals, shoes, and a computer.  I have a habit of going full bore into whatever hobbies I get into.  Hence, IMWI 9/9/07!

You know in your heart whether or not you will use a tri bike enough to justify it.  If you are not going to get full on into tris, consider upgrading your road bike if you are not in love with the current one.  If you are going to dive into the lifestyle that is tri, keep your road bike and add to your stable.

Good luck with your decision!

2007-02-17 12:42 PM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario

Buy yourself a tri-bike for triathlons and keep the bike you have now for training and commuting. 

And, spend whatever amount of money you want on the tri-bike of your choice.  If you really want to ahere to Bear's formula, however, just sign a promisary note stating that you will make up the difference in mileage in your training this season ...

Edited by Machiavelo 2007-02-17 12:43 PM
2007-02-17 4:08 PM

User image

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the promissary note thing.  Good idea.
2007-02-17 10:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana

The promissory note idea is a good one. That's what my LBS guy said to me too.....I did pretty good last year for what I paid for my first road bike.

Just to update you guys and to thank everyone for all the great advice and time taken to comment (and Mr. Bear, I still love you! Hugs to mama Bear too and your $1 spent for 1 mile is spot on).

So...went for my bike fitting....Tom at Richardson Bike Mart (Frisco store) is AWESOME! He listened to me and spent 3 hours with me, fitting me on my current bike, looking at everything and I mean everything. He was thorough, detailed, compassionate, funny and totally knowledgeable. I can't recommend him anymore highly than I'm gushing about him right now.

Bottomline: my current bike is too big for me, but for what I have, I've done pretty well getting it right. My top tube length is too long and I'm too stretched out on my bike. Aeros on this current bike would not be too comfortable. He did a lot of fiddling around with my bike, raised my seat, slid it forward, changed my stem height etc. I was also not inline with my pedals on my left leg.

We talked A LOT about tri vs. road...and finally decided that a road bike fitted with aerobars would be my best bet because of the short tris that I'm doing and most of the tris that I'm currently participating in are rather hilly. It was rather funny because the aeros that Tom finally found for me are the shortest ones available. I felt like a T-Rex.....big legs with itty bitty short arms.

Anyway, I was extremely pleased with the entire fitting session and all the info that Tom gave me. He really helped set my mind at ease with my decision and it feels good.

Trouble is this: we're having a huge problem finding a bike frame that fits me. I'm looking at an extremely short top tube and an extra small frame....43 cm. Apparently I'm a T-Rex...I have a long torso, "long" legs and very short arms and a short reach. Makes it hard to find a bike that would fit well.

I test rode an older Trek 1200 with 700cc wheels.....actually a 43cm frame....OMG, a world of difference. I felt like I was flying. I was sold then.

So.....the challenge now is to find the right frame with the right wheels and Tom said he would help. So I'm set....I'm upgrading my road bike and getting aeros on it for when I need it.

And yes, I'll have an IOU for the mileage.

2007-02-18 12:10 PM

User image

Elite
In The Peleton
Glad to hear you had a good experience and found someone you trust at your LBS!  Good luck finding the bike of your dreams!

2007-02-18 8:33 PM

User image

Expert
Toronto

All this talk of deserving or not deserving a new bike is total crap. I hate when I read stuff about whether you've put in enough miles, how dedicated/serious are you, etc. etc. What a load of hogwash. That's like saying you can't have an SUV unless you actually go off-roading, or can't drive a Porsche or Ferrari unless you intend to take the car to the track, etc. Bah! If you want a new bike get a new bike. Period. Do what makes you happy. Yes you deserve it! (I had to get that out...feel much better now)

The question of road vs. tri geometry is a valid one though and I see that you got that sorted out.

2007-02-18 8:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana

Thanks for your response, Caius. I was going to say validation, but that goes back to deserving or not deserving doesn't it?

I think that eventually I might get a tri-bike, but that's a bit down the road. I am happy with the decision to upgrade my road bike because I think ultimately it will motivate me to ride more as well.

Thanks!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need to decide between road or tri bike Rss Feed