General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Looking for something more!!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-02-15 9:51 PM

User image

Subject: Looking for something more!!!!
Hi!! In 2001 I was a thirty year old Dad that weighed 285lbs. + . I could not sleep at night because of the horrible heartburn, and could not keep up with my daughters (13, 7 & 4). I got out of breath walking up one flight of steps and my wife was no longer attracted to me. Everything pretty much sucked.
I went to night school through the late 90's, working 50-60hrs/wk, catching McDonald's between work and school; school all night and eating dinner at 10:30. When I started I weighed about 200, 5-1/2 years later I was over 285. I was depressed and pretty down, this is not what I had been years back coming home from Desert Storm a lean, mean 185.
I wanted to feel good again, I wanted to play with my kids and do the things I had done 5 or even 10 years prior. I wanted to live again, not be a couch potato worrying about what I was going to eat next.
When 9/11 happened, it sparked a thought in me, knowing that I could not be called back to service, I had many friends and former millitary comrades asking all of ourselves the question, "Will I have to re-enlist to protect our country from further attrocities." This was the the what pushed me over the edge. How would I be able to protect my family in the condition I was in at this time.
I talked with some co-workers and did some research, I needed something that was very structured; eating and fitness. A friend let me borrow his copy of "Body for Life" Though I was not into doing contests, I did like the structure on the program, in and out of the gym in under an hour and a eating regiment that my 5 year old could understand and follow.
I went from 285 to 225 in about 6 months. I was estatic, I felt great, look great, comparatively. I like who I was again. That was summer of 2002, I have been fluctuating between 220-235 for the last 5 years. Every Janurary, I have the resolution to loose another 30-40lbs. I do well for a while then fall into the party trap, the weather breaks which means beer on the deck, and hot dogs and hamburgers.
I was talking with a good friend who runs Marathons, and told him that I was going to look into Sprint Triathlons, he looked kind of dumbfounded, but I explained that the goal of loosing weight was no longer a challenge. A triathlon would be a challenge, to take me the that next level. Even if I get half way through the training and decided it was not for me, I would definitely benefit from it.
So here I am, alternating my cardio workouts, running, biking and swimming but with no structure. I really think I am hooked, even though I don't have a bike and haven't got a clue if I could make the distance. So I am now looking for that same structure that I found 6 years ago.

That is my story, I am open to any help, suggestions, thoughts that anyone may want to offer.

Thanks,
A

2007-02-16 2:01 AM
in reply to: #692509

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, CO
Subject: RE: Looking for something more!!!!

First of all, welcome.  You'll find a lot of others who are trying to accomplish goals similar to yours, and this is one of the best places to get it done.

Suggestions:

1. Use your logs here on the site.  I always kept my own paper logs and hated to duplicate here, but the format is so simple to use that it is now just  another part of my day to update.  The (huge) added benefit is that others can see what you're up to, and can encourage you along the way.  I didn't think I'd like that much, but it is fun to find the comments others are leaving for you.
  2. Find a challenge and join it--or make up one of your own.  I can just about guarantee that you'll get a bunch of others to join you.  You can find them in either the Tri'ing for Weightloss forum or the Challenge Me! forum.
  3. Remember the daily changes are small, and almost unnoticeable, but the days go by quickly and the small changes very quickly become big changes physically, and emotionally too.  (Also remember that the days go by quickly, and before you know it, you're children aren't children anymore.  Get them involved in your training, and set them on a path wellness now, and the dividends down the road will be immeasurable.)
  4. HAVE FUN!

Good luck to you!

Edited by rjba2000 2007-02-16 2:03 AM
2007-02-16 10:03 AM

User image

Regular

Congrats on catching the tri-bug.  I'm still a newbie myself, but I hear that when you do your first race, then you really get addicted!!

I agree with rjba. When I started logging my workouts, I could really see some progress, and it go me a lot more excited.  I have actually wanted to do a tri for a few years now, but I'd always slack off. I finally committed, started filling out logs, and I signed up for a tri. Pick one that you think you'd like to do, then sign up for it. It kinda sets your goal in stone for you, then you'll push even harder to reach your goal! Good luck and ENJOY!

2007-02-16 12:14 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Hi and welcome.
Congrats on your change in lifestyle. Starting is always the very hardest part. My husband was tipping the scales at 290, and he's now 260, in about a year....but it took six months to lose the first 5 pounds.

This place is great for creating the structure you need to meet your goals. Of course, I'd say your first step is to make a goal. Don't just say, "I want to do a triathlon," but rather find a local (or interesting sounding) sprint triathlon that you'd like to do, and start saying "I'm going to do this triathlon." Find a training program here that you like and that works for your schedule and for the race you've chosen. Then get started. Once you've done that, you can start logging your progress, and that's when the fun really starts. Oh, and make sure you register for your race. Nothing like money put down to make the challenge real.

Good luck, and look forward to watching your progress.
2007-02-16 2:44 PM

User image

Expert

Just do it!!!  Yeah, I know it's cliche, but you're already 1/2 way there.  Here's my suggestion...

1. Pick a training plan from BT and stick to it.
  2. Continue the nutrition plan from Body for Life.  I've followed it myself and I think it's a sound philosopy.
  3. Log your workouts so we can see how you're kicking a$$ and taking names.

As a side note, I started doing triathlons because I got bored w/ running.  I was in decent shape, but it was just a hobby and I never took pride in it or felt very competitive about it.  When I got into triathlon though, it was a real challenge.  The fact that it was tough motivated me to train more and I got to see real rewards.  I'm now in better shape and I've collected some really cool stuff like a tri bike, heart rate monitor, some great friends and even a few scars from a bike crash.  The point is that while triathlon is a great hobby, it's one of those hobbies that turns into a very healthy lifestyle.  So go ahead, enjoy the challenge that you're craving

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Looking for something more!!!! Rss Feed