General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New big boy... Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-08-20 4:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Cypress, Tx
Subject: New big boy...
OK....I decided to quit lurking and finally register. About a month ago I started swimming and running. Since I had been a avid cyclist as a teenager I thought it would be a great acheivement if I were to manage to get to a point where I could participate in a triathlon.

I began jogging and walking 3miles everyday. after about a month of mostly walking I finally did a 7 minute mile running....non stop...but just one. I've done 2 5k fun runs and plan on doing 4 more in September..right now I'm at basically a 30min 5k. I know I'm slow...but I'm moving...

My swimming was difficult at first...I've always been a strong swimmer but after swimming to the other side of the 25yd pool I thought my heart was going to explode.....well a month later I'm doing 1 mile a day.....it takes 50 min. but I'm pretty much just cruising.....I need to shorten the distance and start working on getting quick.

I'm working on getting a new bike since mine are from the ice ages...but I've been slowly working a stationary routine into the mix. I'm really strong on the bike as far as being able to spend hours at a time on it...so I'll just need to work on speed.

But at 224 lbs all this takes a toll....I've dropped 20lbs since I started a month ago....and have only changed the types of food I eat not the amount...so I think it's something liveable for the long term.

Anyway, I'm anxious to get to the point that I feel I can participate and not be completely just dropped from the field. I think the swimming will be the hardest part. I started swimming in a lake on the weekends and it's kinda hard not being able to rest at the wall if you need to. Hopefully I'll be able to complete an event this year and if I'm lucky not as a Clydesdale.

2004-08-20 5:31 PM
in reply to: #51097

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: New big boy...
Welcome!  Congrats on the accomplishments so far!  Good luck training - you'll find plenty of support, and few antics here!
2004-08-21 12:28 AM

User image

Champion
Gold member

wow...im envious...great job on the 20lbs a month...keep eating though as u ramp up...i would just let the increased training and time take the rest off more conservatively...your playing it smart by keeping the amount of food but eating more healthy...u dont wanna starve the furnace.  but not having that 20lbs...u must feel great.

good job!  any triathlons in the future?   2005?

2004-08-21 1:37 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
Good job thus far and welcome to the T-Spot!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New big boy... Rss Feed