General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » I'm in... for the long haul? Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-08-21 1:51 AM

New user

Calgary, Alberta
Subject: I'm in... for the long haul?
Hey all.
I thought I would start by introducing myself and letting you all know a little about me.
I a 32 year old programmer from Calgary, AB. I'm 6'2", 240 lbs. I've always played sports and been pretty active while I was growing up and even into my mid 20's.... Then I got a career, a wife and 2 kids and I never seemed to have any time to do anything. (Just wanted to point out, it's the career and not my wife and kids that hold me back).

I have been wishing I was thin for a while but never had the motivation to start some thing. Then something funny happened; I had a conversation with my 4 year old daughter, and it went something like this.

"Daddy?"
"Yes hun"
"When I grown up, will I be like you?"
"Well... only if you want to." (at this pint I was feeling pretty proud that my kid might want to be like me)
"um....Daddy, I don't want to be like you" (that's ok)
"What do you mean babe?"
"Your fat, an I don't want to be fat!" (OUCH)

Hence my motivation.
I am just beginning and they say that the first 3 months are the toughest, so I hope I can get a little bit of help from al you to keep me going when I think fat is not that bad.

2004-08-21 8:39 AM
in reply to: #51246

User image

Expert
Montreal
Subject: RE: I'm in... for the long haul?
Hey Groovy,

Congrats on joining TrSpot - you will find a ton of info and motivation here. Don't forget to open up a training log to keep track of what you are doing. It is a very valuable tool.
To see what others are doing you can click on the LOG button on the bottom of anyones posts to see what they are up to.
2004-08-21 9:05 AM

Montgomery, AL
Hey Groovy, I just joined (you can see my recently introduction post) and I know exactly what you mean. It definitely changes your way of thinking whne you have kids. I was at the gym the other day and there was this guy and his two sons. The father was about mid=40s and in fantastic shape and sure enough his two teenage sons (probably 16 or 17) were the same way. It seems that often kids do follow in their father's footsteps. If you don't workout or stay in shape, you are probably unconciously teaching them the same. When I was young I did play a lot of sports but I never lifted weights or worked out aside from going to basketball or soccer practice. I think it was because I didn't really know about those things. My dad didn't do them, and most of my friends didn't so I just never took them up. So I went to college being 6 foot 1 and 145 pounds. Looking back I wish I had hit the weights and running back then - my sports would life would have gone further, my confidence would have been greater, etc.

Anyway, I know exactly what you are talking about. With me, having a very detailed and strict program works best, if I have vague workouts and times, I mostly end up missing them because things come up. But when I know I have swimming on Tuesday and I'm doing 5 x 50 m and a certain drill for 50m, I'm locked in and do that. If I say I'm going to swim for 30 minutes, I tend to just go through the motions, very unfocused. I'm a beginner also, but that is my little piece of advice.

Are you also changing your eating habits along with the physical tri=training?

Good luck!
Dan
2004-08-21 9:39 AM

Calgary, Alberta
Hi Groovy!!! I'm from Calgary too I'm new here and to tri training too. I just did the sprint distance at lake Chaparrel and it was so much fun. You'll really like it here--the people are amazing and there is alot of great information. Welcome!!!
2004-08-21 1:36 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
Welcome to the T-spot!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » I'm in... for the long haul? Rss Feed