General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cracked Ribs in Colorado! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-02-19 2:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
DFW Metroplex
Subject: Cracked Ribs in Colorado!

Well I would like to thank you guys for checking my log and wondering what has happened to me.  Sorry I didn't get back here and let you guys know what was going on.  Things have just been crazy.  For those of you that followed along with me before, I went on my ski mountaineering trip as planned and crashed and cracked a few ribs the second day.  I thought it was just muscle soreness from skiing so I continued to climb and ski the rest of the trip.  Meanwhile my right side quit hurting but the left side kept getting worse.  Once we got back on Dallas soil I contacted my doctor and set up an appointment.  By this point I was having trouble breathing and I was coughing quite a bit.  Neeless to say everytime I coughed a jolt of pain would wrap completely around my left side and make me wince and wimper.  I was really getting worried.  Upon visiting the doctor I scheduled some X-Rays and sure enough I had several cracked ribs.  The doctor flipped when I told her I did it on Saturday and climbed the mountain and skied down on Sunday.  I was ordered to stop all activity in preperation for my up coming triathlons for fear of breaking the ribs and puncturing my lung.  I was instructed to take all these pain meds and not lift anything over 20lbs, etc, etc. for the next two weeks.  Two weeks later I went back so that she could check my progress.  Upon the second visit to the doctor and another X-Ray there showed to be some calcification where the fractures were.  I was ordered to limit all activity for the next month.  Well that time has come and I'm ready to get right back into training.  I may not be where I was hoping to be come my first Tri, but at least I will be at my first tri, against my doctor's orders mind you.  Anyway for those of you that have checked up on me I appreciate it.  At any rate I'm back.  I might need a few kicks in the rear end to keep me going so you guys help me out if you can.  I appreciate all you guys.

2007-02-19 3:05 PM
in reply to: #695936

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member
Subject: RE: Cracked Ribs in Colorado!

Hey, congratulations on healing, albeit a little behind the desired schedule.

I did that exact same thing last year...I bashed the mountain with my body instead of my skis, skiied the rest of the week, and got home with 3 cracked ribs.  Set me back about 3 weeks; they healed quickly.  What a pain in the butt, though.

Best of luck on your continued training and first tri...

2007-02-19 4:14 PM
in reply to: #695936

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Subject: RE: Cracked Ribs in Colorado!
Hope you heal quickly!  I cracked two ribs last summer and continued to train for quite awhile before I was diagnosed.  I would definitely encourage you to take it easy.  I didn't and it slowed down the healing a lot.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cracked Ribs in Colorado! Rss Feed