Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Charity bike tours - what do you like? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2007-02-20 1:50 PM

Champion
South Jersey
Subject: Charity bike tours - what do you like?

Hey everyone,

If you could take a second to help me out, I would greatly appreciate it...

I have found myself in the position in which I need to come up with giveaway items and/or services to provide at the end of a 40-mile charity bike ride, and was wondering if you could help me come up with ideas. Below, I've listed a series of questions I've been asking myself in trying to brainstorm this topic. Don't feel as though you have to answer each of them, but just use them as a guide in thinking about what you'd like to see at the end of a charity ride. Also, I am working with a lot of non-cyclists and extremely casual riders, and am having a difficult time approaching this event from the perspective of a casual rider. If you can help me with that perspective (especially for those of you who do these types of events with your children), that would be great. (The people I am working with keep coming up with ideas and I'm like, "No, no one would use that," but maybe people, in fact, would.)

--When you do charity rides or bike rallies, whether you ride it with all seriousness or approach it casually with your friends and/or family, what types of things are looking for when you finish?

--Aside from food, drink and toilets, are there certain services or amenities you would like to have?

--Are there things you find are too difficult to carry with you, but that you would love to have waiting for you at the finish line (not something of your own, but something you would receive new)?

--Are there any event keepsakes you would like to take away with you?

--I know that most of the time when I receive giveaways or "goodie bags," I end up not using any of the items I receive. Are there any items that you've received at bike events in the past that you've actually used/kept?

--Does anyone actually use a tire-repair kit (like with the glue and patch)? I only ever replace tubes/tires, but do a lot of people use these kits?

--Are there any types of demonstrations or interactive exhibits you would like to see, or have enjoyed, at a festival at the end of a charity ride (keep in mind, it needs to appeal to all audiences and not just hard-core riders/triathletes)?

Alright, that's about it. I've already come up with a lot of ideas, but am hoping to see some things I haven't thought of.  I know this post is long, but I appreciate your help! The event I am in regards to gets tens of thousands of participants, so it's possible you'll be one of them. I'd rather not discuss what event it is at this time, but I can tell you that it's not local to me (if you're trying to guess. THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!

2007-02-20 2:21 PM
in reply to: #697110

User image

Elite
Evans, GA
Subject: RE: Charity bike tours - what do you like?
I like finisher medals. 
2007-02-20 2:28 PM

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane
LaurenSU02 - 2007-02-20 1:50 PM

Hey everyone,

If you could take a second to help me out, I would greatly appreciate it...

I have found myself in the position in which I need to come up with giveaway items and/or services to provide at the end of a 40-mile charity bike ride, and was wondering if you could help me come up with ideas. Below, I've listed a series of questions I've been asking myself in trying to brainstorm this topic. Don't feel as though you have to answer each of them, but just use them as a guide in thinking about what you'd like to see at the end of a charity ride. Also, I am working with a lot of non-cyclists and extremely casual riders, and am having a difficult time approaching this event from the perspective of a casual rider. If you can help me with that perspective (especially for those of you who do these types of events with your children), that would be great. (The people I am working with keep coming up with ideas and I'm like, "No, no one would use that," but maybe people, in fact, would.)

--When you do charity rides or bike rallies, whether you ride it with all seriousness or approach it casually with your friends and/or family, what types of things are looking for when you finish?

Shade is nice, especially if it's a hot day

--Aside from food, drink and toilets, are there certain services or amenities you would like to have?

Food, drink, and toilets about cover it for me

--Are there things you find are too difficult to carry with you, but that you would love to have waiting for you at the finish line (not something of your own, but something you would receive new)?

--Are there any event keepsakes you would like to take away with you?

--I know that most of the time when I receive giveaways or "goodie bags," I end up not using any of the items I receive. Are there any items that you've received at bike events in the past that you've actually used/kept?

I do the great Peanut ride most years, and I use the water bottles they give us all year (nice quality Specialized bottles)

--Does anyone actually use a tire-repair kit (like with the glue and patch)? I only ever replace tubes/tires, but do a lot of people use these kits?

I use them occasionally, they are a good thing to have in your seat pack just in case

--Are there any types of demonstrations or interactive exhibits you would like to see, or have enjoyed, at a festival at the end of a charity ride (keep in mind, it needs to appeal to all audiences and not just hard-core riders/triathletes)?

Alright, that's about it. I've already come up with a lot of ideas, but am hoping to see some things I haven't thought of.  I know this post is long, but I appreciate your help! The event I am in regards to gets tens of thousands of participants, so it's possible you'll be one of them. I'd rather not discuss what event it is at this time, but I can tell you that it's not local to me (if you're trying to guess. THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!

2007-02-20 2:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio

All I want from a bike tour is good food (and that includes chocolate!) and GOOD maps and GOOD road markings.  Good food means chocolate chip cookies that are chewy.  And a decent meal at the end, not just bagels and fruit or some such.  One tour I go on every year has rigatoni, chicken, salad, garlic bread and lemonade (oh and big chewy chocolate chip cookies).  Another tour I did had tons of pizza (and chocolate chip cookies).  Anything beyond that is just icing on the cake.  The shade idea is good.  Also if it is a really hot day, a garden hose or some way to drench my whole head in water is heaven.

I don't want water bottles or any other trinkets.  I have too much stuff as it is.  A t-shirt maybe, but that's it. 

Yes I carry one of the patch kits and it's been awhile (knock on wood), but I have used them before too.  They are very handy when you need one.

2007-02-20 3:10 PM
in reply to: #697196

Champion
South Jersey

Thanks!

Unfortunately, the event has a corporate food sponsor (trust me, if I was in charge of food, I could make a great after party), so I am working on other ideas - giveaways, demonstrations, services, etc. that people will enjoy at the end of a long day of riding. I am kind of on the same wavelength as ride_like_u_stole_it, which is why I am having trouble coming up with things.  I was asked to join this committee because of my riding experience, but I am pretty self-sufficient when riding and rarely need anything - aside from food, water, and toilets - and the end of these types of events.

Thnx,
Lauren

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Charity bike tours - what do you like? Rss Feed