General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Apologies are in order (long) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-08-21 7:04 PM

User image

Elite
San Diego
Subject: Apologies are in order (long)
I have to apologize to newbatdis for laying into him for going on a 7 hour ride with only 2 bottles of gatorade. I went out today on a course where I wasn't familiar. In my haste I left my aero bottle at home, but still had 2 bottles with about 300 calories each, one bottle with about 150 calories, a handful of gels and a cliffbar. I knew we were stopping at a store at the half way point so I figured this was enough for half of the ride.
The ride started out well, it was cool and overcast with no headwind. The ride was flat at first with some slight downhills, then more downhills and more downhills (should have realized a problem with this course from the beginning). We ended up going 15 miles to where my tri club was meeting for it's 40 mile Saturday ride. We met the group just before they left and I didn't think to drink anything while we were waiting to start. We joined the fast guys in the group and I had little opportunity to drink because of the quick pace and lack of traffic lights, but again it was cool and I didn't need to drink.
By the time we got to the store, I had only drank about 3/4 of one bottle (about 200 calories). Because I had so much left I didn't buy anything else to drink. I finished the bottle, ate one clifshot and took a bite of my cliffbar. Once we got going I found it hard to keep the pace of the group. At the turnoff, my buddies were waiting for me. I must not have looked to good because they wanted me to lead. Since we were riding at my pace I got to drink a little more and I started to get my second wind. Then my freind said we were going to go up what the Postal Team nicknamed "Cardiac Hill". I actually felt good and dropped one of my freinds. By the top of the hill I was feeling really good, then the headwinds started. I grabbed one bottle and it was almost empty I grabbed another bottle and I could no longer handle the warm Accelerade. Then it hit me, I'm in trouble. I felt very tired and weak and said we needed to find a store, luckily for me there was a store about a half a mile ahead. I went in got some cold water and a Pepsi. I started drinking like there was no tomorrow, but I was still thirsty and it was just sitting in my stomach like a brick. Crap! I was dehydrated. So we took it easy, but all those downhills quickly turned into uphills and I had to crawl all the way back. I had nothing in the tank.
When I got home I checked out the calorie calculator and realized I was 2800 calories short of what I needed.
It has been about 4 hours since we finished, and I still feel like crap. I have learned my lesson!
So from here on I will take my own advice, no matter how easy the ride is.
Drink and eat!!!

2004-08-21 7:25 PM
in reply to: #51383

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-08-21 7:27 PM
in reply to: #51389

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-08-21 9:51 PM
in reply to: #51390

Elite
San Diego
Subject: RE: Apologies are in order (long)
I will be ready for tomorrow
2004-08-21 10:02 PM

Veteran
Greenville, SC
It happens to everyone. I have never felt more powerless than when I bonked on a small group ride. It sucked! The lesson is to not let it happen again, if possible. Sometimes it is very hard to accomplish in a group ride but I always make sure I eat and drink these days, by the clock. I can fake 40 miles but double it and I'm in trouble without the proper nutrition. I take is a positive as to what I can do before the body actually bonks and what my stomach can take. Live and learn :-)
2004-08-21 10:22 PM

Elite
Racine, WI
Indeed, it happens to the best of us. A couple of months ago I ran in the morning (I think I did a 10k that day), taught a weightlifting class at noon, then went to my "faster paced group training ride" that evening (we usually try to stay above 18 mph). With all of the running around I hadn't really eaten much and it was hot. Like you, I didn't drink as much as I should have.

Toward the end of the ride (30 mi) I bonked out a little but knew I'd just overdone it a little. I took it easy the rest of the way back, then stood around talking to other riders (as usual). When I got in the car to go home I felt badly chilled, lightheaded, and terribly nauseated. I had to stop for gas and I got a coffee hoping to warm up (and it wasn't cold out at all). I couldn't get it down for anything...or water either. I went home and weighed myself thinking I might be dehydrated, but I wasn't really under by much, maybe a pound.

I was still so cold I took a shower and crawled into bed. the next day I still felt shaky and weak and took a rest day.

I looked online and the symptoms pretty much matched hypotronemia. I know that's normally associated with long distance events but I think my day had led to a cumulative effect.

I sure hope you're feeling better now! If you're not feeling better tomorrow, take a day. If your body says you need it, then you need it.

2004-08-22 5:31 AM
in reply to: #51433

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Hyponatremia is over-hydration, caused by dilution of electrolytes from drinking excess quantities of water. How do you get from "thinking I might be dehydrated," to a diagnosis of hyponatremia?
2004-08-22 8:57 PM

Elite
Racine, WI
Because the two conditions share some symptoms...including dizziness, nausea and weakness, all of which I was experiencing.

Two corrections tho...I said I didn't drink as much as I should have, that should have read as much gatorade. LIke Madcow I'd forgotten it.

Also I mentioned the lightheadedness but I was also feeling very disoriented and confused...a symptom of hypotronemia. It would have never occurred to me that it was hta. if I hadn't weighed in at nearly my normal weight, and if I hadn't looked it up on the web. I'm not 100% certain that's what it was either. But it happened a few days later (much less severely) and I ate pretzels and felt better. The fact that it happened again is what prompted me to look it up(...my initial google search actually read "nausea after exercise". I clicked my way around from there).

I'm sorry, I guess that post wasn't very clear
2004-08-22 11:13 PM

Veteran
Washington
These are also symptoms of low blood sugar....you mentioned that you hadn't eaten as much that day, this could have also been a problem.. especially since you said that it improved after you ate some simple carbs....

Edited by Sherolyn77 2004-08-22 11:15 PM
2004-08-22 11:33 PM

Elite
Racine, WI
I thought of that as well. I really don't think I'm ever going to find out anyway, and I'm not all that worried abuot it. ...my only point was that stuff like that happens to all of us T

Edited by CindyK 2004-08-22 11:34 PM
2004-08-23 9:37 AM

Expert
Texarkana, TX

Bear, I *love* it when you live up to your signature line! 

Tom, how did the run go the next morning? 

2004-08-23 10:57 AM
in reply to: #51748

Elite
San Diego
It was good. I ran with Lara SD for the first 4 miles then ran the next at a nice easy pace. My legs are their normal Monday morning sore, so I'm good to go. I have a race on Sat, so I will take it somewhat easy for the rest of the week.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Apologies are in order (long) Rss Feed