General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Working Mom just started training Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-08-22 12:53 PM

User image

Lakeland, TN
Subject: Working Mom just started training
Hi,
I am really excited about starting my training. I am about two weeks into it. I ran two triathalons about 8 years ago. I haven't done any excercising since I was diagnosed with a high risk pregnancy and told not to excercise. My daughter is now two, and the urge to get back in shape was too much to ignore! A brand new YMCA just went up in town and they have free babysitting while you work out which is the only way this is possible for me. It is going to be tough because I am so busy (I am a college professor), but I really have felt the urge to get in shape again. I kept putting it off because I was afraid that I would get too discouraged due to being very fit before, playing collegiate sports, etc., but I am just taking it a little at a time. The running is much slower than it used to be, and the distances are a lot less! I am only able to run about three miles right now, but the swimming is not bad. I did a mile on my first day back. That was always my favorite part of the triathalon!

This is the first thing that I have done for myself since I had my daughter. I would love to hear some experiences from other people who were successful in coming back from being completely out of shape. Or perhaps how some working moms fit everything into their schedules?

This seems like a great site!
Thanks,
Krista

2004-08-22 5:21 PM
in reply to: #51516

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: RE: Working Mom just started training

awesome on getting back into things and its good that u understand your not (yet) back into your former college form yet...i think a lot of us start overtraining as we knew what we could do back in the day.  your doing good - dont get discouraged...u will be back or exceeding your past fitness levels...just takes time.  scheduling is like juggling...if u can't fit something in, dont worry about it or try to make it up...chances r the unexpected rest day will be better for u.

good luck and welcome.

2004-08-22 5:33 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

Welcome!  Ron, as usual(!), has great advice.  I am a working mom too and go to school in addition, so time management is my specialty.  It's nice that the Y has free babysitting!  That is great.  Another option is get a bike trailer and tow your child while working out - or same with a jogging stroller.  Check garage sales for cheaper ones!  Plan your workouts into your schedule.  Plan everything!  Meals, workouts, babysitters, etc.  And skip TV - except the olympics.  That's my advice anyway - you'll have to see what works for you!

Good luck!

2004-08-22 8:26 PM

User image

Expert
Northern VA

Welcome to the site Krista - good luck with your training and have fun!

Gary

2004-08-22 8:50 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
Welcome to the T-Spot!  Slow and steady as you are going about it will be the best approach you could have.  Free babysitting at the Y is something that you should take advantage of, because they don't offer it everywhere.
2004-08-22 9:47 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
welcome! another mama here - two red headed girls ages 3 1/2 and almost 1. i started training for my first sprint tri when my second daughter was about 5 months old. after my first daughter was born, it took over a year to 'get my body back' - not that it is ever the same after pregnancy and childbirth! after my 2nd daughter was born, it was even harder to get the pregnancy weight off than it was the first time, even with breastfeeding. so, i started running, something i had never been fond of. i did a 5k, then an 8k, then a tri. it has been wonderful. i get up early for some of my workouts, but on others i bring the girls with me (in the jogging stroller or burley) or we all go as a family. my husband loves to bike too, and if we go to a beach for an open water swim practice, he is happy to play in the sand with the girls while i do my thing. you are setting a wonderful example for your daughter. my 3 1/2 year old is doing her first kids fun run (1k) in about a month and she keeps calling it her race or her 'try-flawn'. best of luck to you in your training! this is a great site for information and support.

2004-08-22 10:02 PM

User image

Lakeland, TN
Thanks everyone for your welcoming words! Autumn, I am impressed with your success. I hope to be able to include Sydney in my workouts. I feel bad when she is in daycare some days and then I hand her to the babysitter at the Y. I am looking at getting a jogging stroller, I just wasn't sure if it would feel weird running while pushing something in front of you, not being able to move your arms. As far as the body thing goes, I can't believe how different everything feels getting into shape after having a baby. Part of that is that I have never gone this long without excercising before...but I feel old! One reason that I was drawn to triathalons is because some the research that I read said the women often don't peak until mid to late 30's. That gives me a little time! I am going to turn 30 my next birthday, and I kind of got depressed watching some of the olympics because everyone seemed so young, but the Marathon cheered me up a bit. I guess it gives me hope that I could still have a chance to do well if I work at it even though I am not 20 anymore! And it's not like my goal is to be an olympian. lol. Just to finish a triathalon at this point and then to improve my time after.
Thanks Everyone. This seems like a great place to learn!
Krista
2004-08-23 8:30 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-08-24 7:58 AM

molto veloce mama
think about pushing a jogger as good resistance training! i get about 100 lbs of resistance on about half my rides and half my runs. the girls almost always fall asleep, and if they don't, they at least watch the world go by, sing songs, notice flowers, birds, animals, etc. my husband is great about watching the girls so i can get time in solo, which is important for all sorts of reasons. we have two jogging strollers - a single baby jogger and a double trouble tike tech. they both do a fine job.
2004-08-24 8:00 AM

molto veloce mama
ps. if you're thinking about having a second child, this stroller looks pretty cool: http://www.joggingstroller.com/brand/philandteds/kewi.shtml
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Working Mom just started training Rss Feed