General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My open water swim clinic Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-08-22 2:18 PM

Regular
Dallas, TX
Subject: My open water swim clinic
I'm posting this hoping some of you can benefit from what I learned yesterday at my first (not last) open water swim clinic. It was put on by a local masters swim club here in Dallas. If you can find one it's easy to see how they would be a great benefit to your swimming. And there is one here focusing on Multisport. It's a little too expensive for me right now but I am still able to benefit from the clinics like they put on yesterday.

So what I learned (take what you like and leave the rest!):

Number one: never do an open water swim without anyone else around to keep an eye on you. I panicked for the first time in open water yesterday. I swam in school so I thought with all the hours i've been in the water there's no way I would panic. Well I was wrong. I started thinking about it and realized there was no bottom, no side just a very murky lake to swim in. I worked through my fear knowing that there was a kayak with lifeguard in the water, and many other very strong swimmers around. I also learned that if in a panic you can get a death grip on the kayak until you're ready and there is no DQ for it.

Number two: learn how to "site" as soon as you can. This new skill will change my stroke routine when I swim in the pool now. Siting is incorporating a quick look up in your stroke to make sure your headed in the right direction. They taught us to raise just the eyes (like a crocodile, nice visual at the lake ) up take a look, then turn your head and take your breath. I'm probably oversimplifying it a bit. If it's done correctly it's one very fluid motion with minimal to no impact on your stroke at all. They advised working a site in every four strokes.

Number three: get in the habit of counting your strokes. This something very new to me. I think it's part of TI (total immersion) but I had never been taught to do this. I can see how it helps though. It helps mainly with pacing and using it to know when to site. We practiced stroke counting using 10 hard strokes and 3 easy strokes. Something else to take back to the pool.

Number four: learn how to navigate that buoy! We learned a modifed crawl technique that helped to get around the buoy quickly. I'll try to explain it. Basically if the buoy is coming up on your right, then as you get to it you keep your right arm extended and then try to make two strong pulls with your left arm, and keep kicking. We also talked about positioning and how to deal with the pack as you come to the buoy. Basically they suggested that if you have the inside take it, if not get to the outside and avoid the churn. But by all means don't worry about being overly nice and slowing up to let other people around the buoy. Which leads me to number 4.

Number five: learn to swim in a pack. I think I got more out of swimming in a pack of people than anything. It's a new experience compared to the pool swim where you rarely run into or brush anyone else. I thought the siting helped me out with this as well because I was able to see who was around me and make a move or draft based on the situation. It was hard though and I found myself working to avoid the contact rather than fight through it and get my position. I think that has a lot to do with a lack of confidence in my swim conditioning more than anything. I was more concerned about drowning than anything.

Number six: Fartlek (there's a post somewhere talking about how hilarious this word is and I had to have the instructor repeat it because I couldn't believe what she had just said) Any way it's going out hard on the first lap, going pace in the second and third laps and then coming in hard on the last lap. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.) This is another one I'll have to work into my swim workouts.

Anyway, I'm sure there is more I could say but that's the gist of what I remember from yesterday. And now for the funny story of yesterday.

I brought my bike to the clinic thinking, "maybe I could squeeze in an hour ride after". Well that was no problem. Many of other folks in attendance had the same idea. We all talked about where to go and how hard we might ride. We got our gear on and started to get ready to go. I rolled up along side someone and was slowing quickly and struggling to get my foot out of my clips. Well of course I fell over right there in front of everyone on my first big group ride. Everyone turned to see the comotion as I sprawled on the ground with my feet firmly clipped into my pedals. I skinned my knee and blood was streaming down my leg. But most of all I was laughing so hard at myself over what had just happened. It's nice to get humbled once in a while. Good training to everyone!
Skeedawg

2004-08-22 2:27 PM
in reply to: #51533

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: My open water swim clinic
Been there, done that, lived through it. Despite reports, no one has ever died of embarassment.

Great tips on the open water swim.
2004-08-22 3:11 PM

User image

Master
Chicago

Skeedawg,

Awesome tips. They are really great tips for beginners. I actually prefer swimming in open water than in a pool for some strange reason. I usually have that panicky feeling at the beginning but after a couple of hundred yards I begin to feel much better. But I'm still a solitary girl. It's part of my trust factor. I won't drown myself but I don't know about anyone else. My strategy is to swim outside at all times away from the pack with the pack to my left (my breathing side). I'm a strong enough swimmer that I can usually pass slower swimmers who are with the pack. Until I get more comfortable swimming with sharks I'm going to stick to the outside.

The siting is so critical. Because I'm so blind I've always swam even in pools because I have to know where I am at all times. I love the buoys. They usually are my sights and then I'll pick a white shirt on the beach to aim at.

Good tips.

2004-08-22 5:04 PM

Veteran
Albury, Oz
Thanks for sharing. For those of us not near major centres or where cost precludes getting such training it is great that you have taken the time to post. I also like hearing that others are like me - panic in the water and fall off in front of a pack the first time I join in! Thanks for making me feel normal! D
2004-08-22 5:09 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
Roscoe, IL.
gonna' print this one.
2004-08-22 8:37 PM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI
I'm going to try those things....especially the sighting stroke and 10-3 stroke in my workouts...and the bouy navigating stroke...and..well thank you

The one about not open swimming alone is easy though...I'm waaaay too chicken for that (braaaawk!)

Edited by CindyK 2004-08-22 8:38 PM

2004-08-23 7:13 AM

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga
This is one of the best posts I've read in a while. I had a chance to meet another triathlete yesterday (he typically finishes top 10 overall in his events) and he mentioned the same thing about the swim pace. He sprints the first 200 yards to get out front then settles into his own rhythm.

One part of the conversation that kind of alarmed me was his technique to get by someone that was in his way. He basically said that if he's being blocked, he'll simply crawl over them with one of his arms. I've read posts about people having this happen to them and thought optimistically that it was just incidental contact. But, I suppose there are people out there who will disregard another's safety for the sake of a high finish.

I don't know that I could do that kind of thing. Is this a common occurance?
2004-08-23 1:33 PM

Elite
Livingston, MT
And disregard their own safety. Crawling over someone is an excellent way to get an elbow in the grille.
2004-08-23 5:43 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-08-24 12:34 AM

Regular
Dallas, TX
Glad everyone is getting something out of this post because I got much more than the $10 I paid for the clinic!

I've heard about the grabbing, pulling and crawling in the swim, but I figured that only happened at the Elite level not so much among the age groupers. Well I guess when the competitive juices get going your alter ego can come out as well.

skeedawg
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My open water swim clinic Rss Feed