General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Softride bike? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-02-28 12:59 PM

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Softride bike?
Anybody have a Softride? How do you like it? I'm thinking about one. I'm 6'3 and 195, so I'd be especially interested in reviews by larger riders. Thanks.

2007-02-28 7:29 PM
in reply to: #706466

User image

Expert
oregon ave,
Subject: RE: Softride bike?
I am 38 yrs old and I have been into bikes for most of my life but I have not been on a Soft ride. Having said that, I have always preferred a bike with a little more rigidness. It seems like anything that has give/suspension to it would translate into loss of power, I know that Softride claims this is not the case but I can't see how any type of flexability in a bike would not result in energy being absorb and lost. Perhaps I need to try one out myself. It seems like simple physics to me. Energy absorbed by the bike is not energy transferred to the road.
I'll check back to see what others have to say. They do look cool though!
2007-02-28 7:50 PM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA

Never ridden a Softride but I have heard that if you have any holes in your pedal stroke then they are more pronounced on the Softride. Don't really see alot of them around anymore.

2007-02-28 8:15 PM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL

Am another who had never ridden one.

My only input is that at a race last year a young lady pace booty was riding one and we got talking after the race.  Her and her boyfriend each had one.  I recall her mentioning there is a weight limit for a Softride bike.  I think she said 185lbs.  I asked about the bounce and it affecting the pedal stroke and she said she had her pedal stroke analized at a bike shop in Chicago and her stroke was fine.  She was of the belief that over time the bounce aspect of the bike must have helped improve her stroke efficiency.

As I said, that's at least what I recall. 

Being that I don't ever want to see 185lbs again, Softride seems to be out.  I do keep looking at the TitanFlex web site though.  It's another cantilever bike with the cantilever made out of Titanium.

http://www.ttinet.com/tf/index.htm

2007-03-01 10:38 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Okay, now you'll get an opinion from some one who has ridden a Softride. I own three of them, in fact.

First I'll answer the "power-robbing" aspect that some one brought up -- not true. Power-robbing frame flex happens between the pedals and the rear wheel. By the very nature of the smaller triangles of the Softride frame, it is actually MORE rigid (or at least can be made that way) than a standard diamond frams.

Weight: Yes, a Softride will tend to be a little heavier than a standard bike of like size. But aero trumps weight in TT efforts. Also, I've got a couple of USCF hillclimb TT titles that say that the weight of my Softride never held me back.

My Softride story started some 17 years ago when I was in my first incarnation in tri. I had a SPecialized Allez Epic (carbon tubes in aluminum lugs) and on most of the back-country road courses that we raced, my bum would go to sleep from the road buzz. When I tracked down a dealer in Bellingham that had some Softrides, I arranged to take a test ride after a race I did there. Eye-opening. Within 5 minutes I was LOOKING for bumps and RR tracks to ride over.

I got my first within 6 months of that. Then I got into road racing (USCF type), and raced on that bike. Got a second several years later (TiCycles), and a year later got my third (a steel TiCycles for the track and also to use as a road fixie/single speed).

I now have a standard diamond frame to race on, only because I maxed out the road geometry getting forward and low. I still do much of my training on the Siftride, and love the execution of the suspension. It really cuts down on the fatigue being isolated from the road buzz. I don't have any back issues, so I can't vouch for that aspect, but I've seen/heard many people say that it's saved their cycling.

Hope that helps.
2007-03-01 11:22 AM

Regular
The weight limit is just for the carbon boom. they make different booms with different weight limts, so it was just that paticular persons bike with a limit of 185.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Softride bike? Rss Feed