General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fuel Belt and Accessories Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-08-23 11:07 PM

User image

Expert
MD
Subject: Fuel Belt and Accessories
Just purchased and tested the 2005 endurance 4-bottle fuel belt: http://www.fuelbelt.com/en4botbel.html along with a 2-pack of the 10-oz bottles http://www.fuelbelt.com/20acne.html and the clip-on gel flask found at http://www.fuelbelt.com/gelflaskholder.html.

I've tested it on a middle distance run - about 7 miles - without using the clip on gel flask.

The belt is comfortable and does not bounce. It can be adjusted pretty tightly and did not slip down. I used the 10-oz bottles and liked the fit and volume of water they carried. The 10 oz bottles are a little harder to get back into the carrier since you have to stretch more to fit them in. This is not a problem with the standard 7 0z bottles. Couldn't quite do it with only one hand. It seems reasonable to use this belt configured with 4 x 10 oz bottles for a long run. The larger bottles do bounce a little more than the smaller 7 oz.

You can use this belt with all 4 bottles, or just with 2 bottles (for shorter runs). I found that spinning the belt so the velcro is in the back was more comfortable - personal preference I guess. The pocket seems like it could hold a lot of items, but when the belt is strapped on it is stretched tight and not much could fit in the pocket. Perhaps 1-2 gel packs, a key, and a small item or 2 - but nothing like a cell phone (perhaps there is a cell phone clip that would work?).

The gel flask has a belt loop which is not quite wide enough to fit onto the fuel belt. Seems like a obvious design flaw? I was able to squeeze it onto the fuel belt by folding the belt in half and muscling it through. It kind of pinches the belt a little, but seems like it will work. The flask holds 7 oz gel (about 6 servings, equal to 6 gel packs). I'll try running with that this weekend on a 10 mile race I'm doing and report back. Seems like it should work ok.

one other item of note - some (2 or 3) of the rubber tips on the bottles have a HORRIBLE smell - I washed them before use but it didn't get rid of the stink. I'm going to cook them in the dishwasher on high heat to see if that gets rid of the smell, otherwise I don't know what I'll do - order more bottles?

Background: I needed a belt to carry water on long training runs and for longer races (running and triathlon). I needed something that could also carry gel packs and/or a gel flask. I considered camelbacks, traditional water bottle carriers, and the fuel belt.

I chose this model for the following reasons:

1. It can carry up to 40 oz (using the optional 10-oz bottles)
2. It can have the gel flask
3. It's a popular widely used product
4. I tried the T3 water bottle carrier (http://www.fuelbelt.com/t3.html) - found it to work ok for 20 oz water, but I found it awkward - I really had to fight to get the bottle back into the holder at times. Once the bottle was less than full there was a lot of sloshing, but overall it was comfortable and didn't bounce too much.
5. Didn't like the camelback that fit like a fanny pack - bounced way too much.
6. Didn't want the camelback with shoulder straps, felt heavy and hot for running.

2004-08-26 1:20 AM
in reply to: #52192

User image

Regular
Quincy, MA.
Subject: RE: Fuel Belt and Accessories
I'm new to this arena but bought a fuel belt as well 4 bottle and is really comfy but what a nasty stink they come shipped with so probably not gonna help ordering new ones must all come that way.
2004-08-30 6:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Manitoba, Canada
Subject: RE: Fuel Belt and Accessories
Thanks for posting, it's great info. I have been looking at that same belt and accessories for the past few months, so much of the clothes/toys are trial and error as to what you need/like best -

As if the sport isn't expensive enough with too many 'errors'
2004-08-30 5:42 PM

User image

Expert
MD
Subject: RE: Fuel Belt and Accessories - UPDATE
Ran a 10 mile race yesterday and used the 4-bottle fuel belt to carry Accelerade (they only provided water on the course so I wanted my own drinks). I used 2 of the 10-oz bottles and 2 of the 7-oz bottles filled w/ Accelerade, and packed 2 Gu packs in the folding pocket.

During the race I hardly noticed the belt - it was very comfortable and performed well. Before and after the race I had issues with bottles falling out, but during the race there were no problems. You do need to be a little careful returning a bottle to the belt on the run, it is possible to over-stretch the bottle holder and push the bottle right through the belt to the ground. The larger 10-oz bottles seem to cause this problem more often since you have to stretch the bottle holeder more to fit the wider bottle onto the belt. While warming up before the race, and cooling down afterwards, I found that if I bent over at the waist or raised my leg too high I could pop a bottle out of the front pocket rather easily - but this was NOT during the race.

The bottles clean up well in the dish washer.

Overall, I'm satisfied with the product. If you're considering it go ahead and give it a try. I'm sure I'll get lots of use out of mine.
2004-09-16 1:55 PM
in reply to: #55424

User image

Expert
MD
Subject: Another UPDATE
A couple updates on the fuel belt, I had to contact customer service, and I used it in an A-race, a 1/2 IM last weekend.

1. I contacted fuelbelt.com about the smell and the fact that a couple of the bottles leaked. They responded and are sending replacements to me at no charge. Excellent customer service, in my opinion. Order through fuelbelt.com if you can.

2. Learned something about the gel flask - From the outside the caps all look identical. BUT the cap for the gel flask is different internally, it has a larger opening to allow the gel to flow easily through. Unfortunately I learned this the hard way. I filled a 7 oz flask with gel and put it in a bento box on my bike for the 55.5 mile ride, planning to consume about 2 oz/hour. Sadly, I just grabbed one of the red and white caps without knowing the gel flask cap is different. So, when it was time for my first shot of Hammer Gel, nothing came out! At first I thought the gel had coagulated into a nearly solid mass. I was forced to unscrew the entire cap every time I wanted a shot of gel, which was messy and difficult at 20 mph. After the race I inspected the caps and realized my mistake. On the run, I suffered from the opposite problem, the gel flask cap was on one of my 10 oz bottles filled with red Accelerade. The larger opening means that the stuff drips out and down your shirt when you run. Doh! I finished the race w/ red all over my shirt. Probably look like a slob in my race pictures! It's kind of funny, now, but I was a bit perplexed during the run.

The race belt again performed well. It seemed a bit heavy at the start of the run, with 34 oz accelerade and another gel flask with 6 oz gel. I probably could have left it behind, as the race director had water/gatorade/hammer gel at every mile along the run, but I was glad I could drink when I wanted to, run through an aid station if I wanted (or just pour the water on my head and keep going), and knew exactly how much I had consumed at any point during the run.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fuel Belt and Accessories Rss Feed