General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Timex Ironman Triathlon Fitness Monitor Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-01-08 10:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Lubbock, TX
Subject: Timex Ironman Triathlon Fitness Monitor
My wife gave me a Timex fitness monitor to help me with my workouts, but I do not know what my target heart rate should be. Does anyone know how I can determine where my "HI" and "LO" should be? With the weather being cold, I have working on a stationary bicycle with medium resistance. I usually keep a steady pace for ten minutes and sprint for one minute. It is during that time that I noticed my heart rate go from 145bpm to 190bpm. I will pace for about another 4 minutes to "cool down" back to 145bpm. Once I stop/rest, after two minutes my heart rate goes down to 90-95bpm. Any comments or input would be appreciated.

2004-01-09 5:46 AM
in reply to: #3451

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
Subject: RE: Timex Ironman Triathlon Fitness Monitor
There is a very good article on the main page @

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/Scott%20Herrick/HRMoniterPartI.ht...

There are two parts to the article and I have referenced it many times. This should get you started. If you have just started training then doing interval work might not be the best way to start, it could lead to burnout or injuries. Most of your workouts should be endurance at the beginning phase of training. The article should help with getting you started.
2004-01-09 7:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Lubbock, TX
Thank you for the heads up on the article. It is very well written and informative as well. I will also be referencing this article often.
2004-01-09 9:09 AM

User image

Champion
Gold member

yes, something i will also add to the programs too is that for newcomers to endurance, i would not recommend anything other than endurance training for a whole year.  best to build up endurance by getting to race volume first THEN concentrate on higher intensity training sessions using speedwork, intervals, etc.  will reduce injuries a lot more as you will then have a great base to start improving performance (pace)

if u r heart-rate monitoring AND new to endurance, i would recommend the zoneI 'long, slow (recovery) and the zoneII 'endurance' for all yoru first year training...do not go above 70-75%mhr.  or using the rpe method, stay in the RPE of 3-4 for the modified chart (scott hericks article)

2004-01-09 9:45 AM
in reply to: #3495

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
Ron,
I am currently following those principles. However a question I have is this. After I increase by 10% and allow for the rest week, eventually I get to a point that I don't need to run for 90 -120 min's for a sprint distance tri. If I am keep on the program for a year how do I vary my workouts without losing endurace or keep from getting bored doing the same basic workout week to week if not adding speedwork?

I am fine for now since I haven't reached that point yet and my first race before my triathlon season is a 1/2 marathon but you got me thinking.
Thanks,
2004-01-09 9:53 AM

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Rio, once you reach a set distance needed for long runs (say 6-10miles for Sprint and 8-12 for oly), then keep running that distance and over time, your speed will increase at same HR. You are basically building your aeorbic fitness. If you stay at same speed, then your HR may get too slow. I am struggling with this too. I had started some tempo runs once a week to help with race conditions. For example, for a 3 mile run, run 1st mile slow in endurance zone, second mile at a faster pace (for me building to 5K race pace) and last mile slow again.

2004-01-09 11:21 PM

Extreme Veteran
PohangSi
Another thing to keep in mind when determining your target zones is max HR. Most people use the 220-age formula. This is good in many cases and will get you started, but like so much else is based on averages. I read an article somewhere, can't remember where. I'll link it if I can find it again, that said you really should test to determine your max HR. I'll give you 2 examples that don't fit the formula. By the formula my max should be 182, as I'm 38 years old, but I can get my heart rate up to 190 pretty easily. I've determined my max to be about 193. My 29 year old friend was going nuts thinking something was wrong with him because he couldn't get his heart rate up into his desired zones based on the formula. He's 29 so 191 max. After testing he determined his max is 175. He thought he was slacking when he'd have an avg. HR of 130 or so. Anyway, just something else to think about.
JD
2004-01-10 12:12 AM

Extreme Veteran
PohangSi
I couldn't find the article I was thinking of, but here is a link to a basic page with a method for determining max HR:
http://www.millenitek.co.za/Heart_rate_calculations

JD
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Timex Ironman Triathlon Fitness Monitor Rss Feed