General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Louisville - Anyone else nervous/annoyed? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-03-05 7:28 AM

New user
Cincinnati, OH
Subject: IM Louisville - Anyone else nervous/annoyed?
Maybe I'm just being a paranoid whiner, but doesn't anyone else think it's odd that the race organization seems to be having such a difficult time permitting and completing the course for Ironman Louisville? I was originally told that the course would be finalized in January and then on a follow-up, I was told February. Now we're into March with no real sign that things are happening. One part of me is nervous that the next announcement will be that they cannot get on the same page with the various cities and counties for permitting and the race is called off. Another part of me is annoyed that they announced and opened a race so far in advance of finalizing a pretty important detail. Also, wouldn't everyone out there who signed for this race like to see a real website for the race like all the other Ironman events (and yes, I know Louisville is not run/owned by (fka) Ironman North America that runs/owns the others)? Anyone else out there thinking what I'm thinking? If not, feel free to tell me to calm down.

2007-03-05 10:02 AM
in reply to: #711324

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: IM Louisville - Anyone else nervous/annoyed?
I may be thinking some of those things, but it isn't really bothering me. Maybe you need a long bike ride! Don't worry, it will all be in place in plenty of time.
2007-03-05 3:17 PM

User image

Expert
Chesapeake, VA
I am a little concerned.  I did email Steve Meckfessel the race director, he said they are still finalizing permits and to expect the course to be posted late February early March.  It is in the back of my head that it might be canceled but I am trying my best to have a positive outlook on this and I am and will still continue to train regardless. 
2007-03-06 7:59 AM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA

Don't get your drawers all in a wad about nothing. IM host cities have to invest $100,000 in "seed money" just to get the event in the first place. I find it hard to believe that the Louisville Tourism Bureau or whomever is in charge of the event would put up that kind of money only to have an event cancelled. The bike course (preliminary) is supposed to go out US42 to Lagrange and then back, that is a major road that runs through two counties and several cities so the permitting process is probably going to take awhile. Most county comissions and city councels have multiple readings of proposals like this before they actually vote on them.

My advice is go ride your bike and worry more about how you are going to fuel yourself through ~17hours on August 26th.

2007-03-06 8:33 AM

User image

Expert
Northern VA

I sent an email to them yesterday asking about the status of course and this was their response:

Being a new event there are many areas that need to be covered regarding permits etc.  Next year will be much easier.  We are hoping to have that information out to all those registered for this event in the next few weeks.
I’m sorry for the delay and thank you for your patience.
2007-03-06 8:58 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

I got enough stuff to fret about without concerning myself with the exact course. I started swimming last week for the first time since last summer. This morning I swam 30 labs and it took me 38 minutes. Extrapolating this out to 2.4 miles and it comes to 1:47 for the swim. My goal is 1:30 for the swim so I've got a lot of work to do at the pool. I'm running about 25 mpw with a long run of 14 miles so I feel good about where I'm at in running. Biking? Uh….haven't been out on the road yet this season. Too dang cold still. I've been on the exercise bike doing hill programs twice a week and as soon as the weather warms up (probably this weekend) I'll hit the roads.

I figure we don't have any control over the course…so I'll just focus on training.

Mike

2007-03-06 9:25 AM

User image

Expert
I have been sweating this big time! I worry that this will be how the orgainzation will be for the whole event. This is our first IM and I am worried enough about 6 - 7 - 8 hours on the bike, I don't need any more to worry about!!
2007-03-06 9:29 AM
in reply to: #713055

User image

Virginia Beach
Dont worry about the race organization, the people putting it on have just a little bit of experience putting on first class races (ever watched Ironman Hawaii).  Dont worry about things you cannot control.  Get your training going in the right direction and stop worrying about the race details.
2007-03-06 11:58 AM

New user
Cincinnati, OH
So, I guess the consensus opinion would be to calm down. Thanks. Even though it may not sound like it from my paranoia, this isn't my first IM. However, it is my first IM that is a new IM so I've never experienced what is happening with this race. Not to worry, I haven't been sedentary and staring at the walls worrying. I have been operating under the assumption that all is well and have been training as planned.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Louisville - Anyone else nervous/annoyed? Rss Feed