General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do clip on aero bars make sense? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-03-05 9:11 AM

Subject: Do clip on aero bars make sense?
I'll be competing in my first Olympic distance race this summer (and possibly a second). I've always ridden a road bike, not a tri bike. I got a new road bike last fall and knowing that I'd be moving up in distance, I discussed aero bars with the tech at the bike shop. When I asked about them, they explained that after being correctly fit on the road bike, putting myself in the aero postion (by using clip ons) compresses the diaphragm too much. Meaning that the aerodynamic benifits were more than offset by the stress on my cardiovascular system.

Has anyone run in to the same argument against clip on aero bars? Any feedback?

I love my road bike and don't intend on adding a tri bike. I love to compete and always attempt to be competetive in my races, but realistically I'm no threat to the lead pack so I don't mind sacrificing a few minutes on the bike if clips on are not recommended for my setup. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2007-03-05 9:16 AM
in reply to: #711455

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: RE: Do clip on aero bars make sense?

He is kinda right.  But what he failed to tell you is that when you add the Aero bars that you will have to be refit.  Sometimes as simply as sliding your seat forward.  But your fit on a road bike and a road bike w/ Aerobars is different.

The whole compressing the diaphram thing, I don't buy.  More stress on the skeletal system, traps, etc..I'll buy that.

So, in short, switch to a Tri set up and mark those 'measurements'.  And then you can switch back and forth at will.

2007-03-05 9:17 AM

User image

They make saddles that are help with said problem. They position you foward and down more, if that makes sense?

I think if you get teh clip ons fitted to you, they are definitely a worthwhile thing.
2007-03-05 9:46 AM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX
The aero benefit of bars is huge, even on a road bike.  It's definitely worth it to add a pair to a road bike.  And like one pervious poster mentioned, just make the seat settings before hand and it should be easy enough to switch back.
2007-03-05 10:28 AM

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane

"compresses the diaphragm too much. Meaning that the aerodynamic benifits were more than offset by the stress on my cardiovascular system."

HA! what a load of fertilizer.

You may want to tweak your fit when adding clip-ons to a road bike, but even without doing that I am willing to bet that you'll still be faster in a tri/TT with the clip-ons than without.

2007-03-05 10:42 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
There is no reason to forgo clipon aerobars on a road bike - you should be able to enjoy the benefits without too much difficulty. Basically there are two paths you can consider:

1) Full bars - these have a long reach and are used on bikes with short top tubes (tri bikes) but with the addition of a forward seatpost can be used on a road bike. IMO this allows you to get the worst of both worlds and unless you want your bike to have a tri position the majority of the time, it is not the way to go.

2) Shortie bars - these are shorter and are designed for use on road bikes. Typically they will extend no further than the brake hoods and the pads will go more on the forearm but will allow you to get into a more aeroposition without make many changes. As others have mentioned, there may be some adjustments that need to be made but for the most part your setup will stay the same. IMO this is the way to go on a road bike, as you will see an aerobenefit but will not compromise your handling.

You may also want to look into the Big Slam position as it is based around a road bike fit.

Shane

2007-03-05 2:29 PM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Yes.

Aerodynamic advantage, more variety in riding positions -- make a minimal investment and have some fun with them.
2007-03-05 6:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Tuscaloosa, AL
Aero bars make a ton of sense.  Like the other people said, you may want to adjust your seat , but on a road bike they aren't going to compress your torso much more than riding in the drops, if any at all.
2007-03-05 8:00 PM

User image

Expert

I have a road bike with clip-on aerobars and my most comfortable position on my bike is in the aero position.   My legs especially seem to like that position as it allows me to use slightly different (and stronger) muscles.  My bike was refit when I got them.  I have the Profile ones that have the arm rests that flip up giving me the additional position for my hands.  I'd probably be even more comfortable on them if I was in better bike shape right now (Lake Placid is when? )

As far as the diaphram issue, that sounds like typical roadie B.S.  While there may be some increased pressure for lack of a better description, a lot of that depends on how aero you get in the bars, the seat position, your own flexibility and bike fitness.  But even in the drops you're going to have the increased stress.  The back especially would seem to be more stressed out in the aero position than the diaphram.  But to give you an idea of the benefits of aerobars, I did one 1/2 IM last year without the aerobars and one with.  While I was in better shape for the one with the bars, had I not had an unrelated mechanical problem that cost me a few minutes, I would have been 15+ minutes faster on a much harder course.   

2007-03-06 12:39 AM

I have both a road bike and tri bike. I'm currently training for an IM so spend most of my time on my tri bike. On the off training season, I enjoy rides on my road bike as well. Which bike I use depends on the course that I'm going to ride. I would take a look at the course layout of the race(s) you are going to enter. If it is going to be hilly or around town with many turns, it may be fine to keep your road configuration since you would not spend too much time in the aero position anyway. I have used my tri bike in a few shorter races in the past where half way through the bike I had wished I used my road bike instead. If there are minimal straight flats and more turns and hills, I would consider using what you feel stronger on. If you do change your set up, the smaller clip on bars make the most sense to me. And if you do get up to the longer distance triathlons, I would consider going for the re-fit and converting to a more aero position.
2007-03-06 6:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hoboken, NJ
Echoing most comments: have a road bike w/ clip ons. My LBS altered the bike config slightly (longer seat, handlebars slightly higher). They work great.  I too got the clip-ons that flip up.  That way I can still ride the bar tops and hoods w/out a problem...

Edited by ezl 2007-03-06 6:34 AM

2007-03-06 8:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
For yall that have gone aero on the road bike, did you transfer the shifters to the end of the aerobar or leave them on the hood of the original bar?

Rich
2007-03-06 8:31 AM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Shifters still on the hoods. It's never been a problem for me, and if I ever want to go to that extreme, I'll save my money for a tri bike.
2007-03-06 9:12 AM

User image

Expert
Los Gatos, CA
It depends...I could never get used to them and got a tri bike instead......there are people here and elsewhere that do fine with them....I found it to be a round peg in a square hole....neither fish nor fowl....
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do clip on aero bars make sense? Rss Feed